News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Poster Signature Identification

Started by kenfirch, November 18, 2023, 02:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenfirch

Hi all!  Long time since I've posted on the SAAC forum.  In 1995 I drove down to Sears Point for a Cobra event, I forget the details.  While there I bought a poster and waited in line to have it signed.  Never did anything with it, but put it in an old picture frame to protect it, and shoved it in the rafters of my shop.

Anyway, I was thinking of giving it to my grandson, who's a big Shelby fan.  I'd like to at least tell him who signed it, but I forget who did. 
I see Carroll Shelby, Bob Bondurant, Jack Sears, and Bill Neale. 

Who are the other 3 signatures from?

Thanks, Ken

KerryBWhite

Allan Grant is under Carrolls signature, dont know the others ones

Side-Oilers

I'd guess that the signature next to Bill Neale's is William Motta's.

Motta was the long-time art director of Road & Track, and a contemporary in the Automotive Fine Arts Society (AFAS) with Neale.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/02/14/remembering-william-a-motta-automotive-fine-artist-and-40-year-road-track-veteran
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

sd427

I think the last unidentified signature is by John Whitmore.

kenfirch

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Hov

I was there, below Neale was probably Alan Mann , they were all lined up at a table and you just went down the line one signer after the other. I think the
other comments on this thread were all correct.  Mark

kenfirch

Mark, I think you're right, it is Alan Mann's.  It kinda matches the same poster and signatures found here.  At least for someone doing a gazillion signatures in one sitting.

Ken

sd427

The Von Dutch artwork on John's helmet is very cool, mentioned in the link above.

kenfirch

Worthpoint, pricey, but probably worth it if buying and selling a lot.  I started my 5 minute subscription to check, then cancelled.   8).  Thanks!

There's a short video of John telling the story of the Von Dutch helmet, and other interesting stories about Steve McQueen.

Love the picture of Alan Mann throwing a skinny tired GT40 through a curve at the above link:

Side-Oilers

Cool photo...hanging it out.   

Funny how that low angle makes the car look kind of like a UFO.  Or, like the suspension is jacked up to Baja 500 level.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Bigfoot

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 21, 2023, 04:07:14 PM
Cool photo...hanging it out.   

Funny how that low angle makes the car look kind of like a UFO.  Or, like the suspension is jacked up to Baja 500 level.

Indeed!
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

mlplunkett

I bought that worthpoint poster and in the process of chasing down all the signatures I came across these images from another Shelby book. One page had driver signatures and another had crew signatures. It's a great resource for autograph verification. Notice that the drivers even includes Craig Breedlove.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction