News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Super-Rare "A. O. Smith Shelby" Security Guard Badge - For Sale

Started by Side-Oilers, November 22, 2023, 05:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

Hey guys, I've decided to break into my Shelby treasure trove of items and sell a few, over the next few months.

I'm leading off with one of my prized rare collectibles: An authentic Security Guard Badge from A. O. Smith's Ionia, MI, assembly plant, during the Shelby years.

The badge measure approximately 3" tall by 2" wide, and appears to be made from brass. (I'm no expert in metallurgy.)

It is shaped similarly to some law enforcement shields, and features an eagle's head and wings, a wreath, and what I assume to be a seal of the State of Michigan.

The colors of the seal are very difficult to accurately capture in a photo, but they are an outer ring of dark blue, an inner circle of lighter blue, and a crest depicting one elk and one moose, with wording that appears to be "Tuebor", which the internet tells me means "I will defend."

Engraved/stamped into the raised sections are:
A. O. SMITH
SHELBY 3RD
GUARD

Many of you will know more than I do about A. O. Smith badges, but I'd assume it belonged to 3rd Shift Guard #8 in the Shelby area of the facility.  (Please correct me if this is wrong.)

The badge is in excellent condition, with bright brass, crisp black paint in the engraved/stamped lettering, and the like-new condition of the Michigan State Seal.

The back side of the badge is also in excellent condition, with a quality pin-back design with rotary clasp that would securely attach this to a uniform. 

The badge appears to be all-original and not retouched, but I'm not an expert in these matters.  Please study the photos.  I am happy to shoot & post more pix, upon request.

The photos show the quality of the badge, but shiny brass is very difficult to photograph without it picking up the surrounding colors, shadows and glare.  Just think of nice quality brass, and that's pretty accurate to its appearance.

What's this badge worth?  I think I paid around $350 for it, 10 or so years ago.  I was restoring my GT500KR at the time, and this seemed like something I had to have. Now it's time to let some other Shelby enthusiast have it.

But, rather than merely keeping it in a display case:

Wearing this badge is the perfect way to display your authority at SAAC 49 (or at the supermarket) and saves you the hassle of carrying a bullhorn to announce your greatness.

As a bonus: The sea of SAAC event-goers will assuredly part in front of you, as you head to the hot dog cart or Andy Gump.

How can you put a price on that?

I can't, so the same $350 as I paid for it, will take it. 

I'll even ship it for free, to the Lower 48. anywhere in the USA.   

International Shipping, Customs Fees and Insurance is on you.

PM me if you want to buy.  Post if you have questions and I'll answer those here.

Thanks,
Van

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Side-Oilers

A few more photos. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Coralsnake

Just curious why a privately owned company would have the State seal and a badge dedicated to a small part of their business that lasted for about 24 months?

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Side-Oilers

To look more "official"? 

Before I bought this badge, there was a forum thread about it. I haven't searched yet, but there might be some additional info there. Would've been circa 2014, IIRC.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 22, 2023, 11:13:32 AM
Just curious why a privately owned company would have the State seal and a badge dedicated to a small part of their business that lasted for about 24 months?
A lot of states require that security guards be trained to some standard that the state dictates. That could indicate they complied with the training.
When it started I doubt they thought it would all be over in 24 months. Shelby 3rd I'm thinking he was security on the Shelby line for the 3rd shift????

This guy might know - https://ohms.wisconsinhistory.org/oral-history/render.php?cachefile=WSA0005.xml

Allan Walker: When I first started at A.O. Smith I was in labor, you know, I was sweeping, cleaning. When I first started janitorial crossed to production 00:15:00worker use I would be nineteen. So I was eighteen, you know, like that. So then later on after that I went into driving. I used to be a forklift driver. And then after that I went to something they said paid more money, welding. Then I went to welding. And, when I got drafted, I think I was a welding or I was driving a forklift. But then when I end up, before I retired later on -- oh, okay, in '76 my wife passed, I left the shop and went into the office. I was in timekeeping. I would keep track of the time at the shop hours and different things like that. And the rates and things like that, I was in timekeeping until '83 when I went into security all the way through. So I was the lead security officer on third shift on A.O. Smith. I did that for seventeen years before I retired, security. I was security you know so --
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Don Johnston

Note: small packages like these can be sent via USPS, insured, to all 50 States at the same rate.  Good luck with the sale. 8)

Side-Oilers

Brett:  Great find of the interview with the former 3rd Shift A.O. Smith Guard.  That's amazing!  Wish he'd talked more about the security guard work he did there.

Don:  Thanks for the info.  I really don't like the USPS, so I'd probably go FedEx Ground or UPS Ground.  Although UPS lost a package of mine two weeks ago, and they are still dumbfounded as to where it went.  Ugh.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

The back relief is detailed on the item for sale which speaks to American quality of yesteryear. The knock off quality for making reproduction badges does not appear to go to that level of detail on the back of the badge (at least on the site posted).  I would also question the level of maniacal obsessive crazy levels one would go to in order to make such an obscure item that most of the world would never know existed to include Shelby aficionados of all types as well.

As an addendum, if I were to step into the shoes of a fraudster, I would be making a knock off of some item that is in high demand, something that is highly coveted, and not an obscure piece of Shelby collectible that might not sell and be further subject to the scrutiny that this particular artifact has already received.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on November 25, 2023, 10:20:12 AM
The back relief is detailed on the item for sale which speaks to American quality of yesteryear. The knock off quality for making reproduction badges does not appear to go to that level of detail on the back of the badge (at least on the site posted).  I would also question the level of maniacal obsessive crazy levels one would go to in order to make such an obscure item that most of the world would never know existed to include Shelby aficionados of all types as well.

As an addendum, if I were to step into the shoes of a fraudster, I would be making a knock off of some item that is in high demand, something that is highly coveted, and not an obscure piece of Shelby collectible that might not sell and be further subject to the scrutiny that this particular artifact has already received.

Agree with you.

I find it a very kool item and would buy it but "I" am not part of the Special Secret Shelby PO-leeese

But again a great item

I have all UNGOLD cars

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 22, 2023, 04:09:28 PM
Quote from: Coralsnake on November 22, 2023, 11:13:32 AM
A lot of states require that security guards be trained to some standard that the state dictates. That could indicate they complied with the training.
When it started I doubt they thought it would all be over in 24 months. Shelby 3rd I'm thinking he was security on the Shelby line for the 3rd shift????

This guy might know - https://ohms.wisconsinhistory.org/oral-history/render.php?cachefile=WSA0005.xml

Allan Walker: When I first started at A.O. Smith I was in labor, you know, I was sweeping, cleaning. When I first started janitorial crossed to production 00:15:00worker use I would be nineteen. So I was eighteen, you know, like that. So then later on after that I went into driving. I used to be a forklift driver. And then after that I went to something they said paid more money, welding. Then I went to welding. And, when I got drafted, I think I was a welding or I was driving a forklift. But then when I end up, before I retired later on -- oh, okay, in '76 my wife passed, I left the shop and went into the office. I was in timekeeping. I would keep track of the time at the shop hours and different things like that. And the rates and things like that, I was in timekeeping until '83 when I went into security all the way through. So I was the lead security officer on third shift on A.O. Smith. I did that for seventeen years before I retired, security. I was security you know so --

Stasi level detective work.  Impressed.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

martyjac

Could A.O. Smith have had a facility in Shelby Township Michigan at some point in time?

FL SAAC

Let me throw this out :

Maybe...just maybe .... CS had these approved by the late great President Nixon.

Just like President Nixon gave Special Agent Elvis Aaron Presley his badge....it could have happened  ..... thank you very much!

I have all UNGOLD cars