News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Recent sale of an R code 65 Shelby Mustang

Started by deathsled, November 25, 2023, 06:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

silverton_ford

6s1640

This car was owned by Dr. Ed Recknegal (1977 to 2000) of Enid Oklahoma, RIP.  He told me that the owner (Larry Zane) of the R-model gave him cash and 5R212 for the wrecked Alan Mann GT40.  I understood the GT40 was wrecked by two teenage boys joy riding the car in Enid.  I am not sure if the car was stolen or borrowed.  When Dr. Recknegal told me the story, he may have adjusted the facts.   Dr. Rechnegal purchased the wrecked hulk, likely plans to take the engine out and put into another race car.

In circa 2000, the R-model was part of a ten car purchased from Phil Gallant (Gallant's Truck Salvage, Oceanside California) along with a 1965 GT350 (5S312), 1966 GT350, Shelby TransAm car, plus others.  This was recorded in an article in the Rear Scoop.  I also understood the 1965 GT350 was included as partial payment for the restoration of 5R212.  A review of the 2011 registry does not reflect this account.  So I am not certain of the accuracy, but I believe Randy Gilles told it to me.  I bought the 1966 GT350 from Phil.

Fred Hilbert (5R094) in Wichita Kansas likely saw some track time with Dr. Recknegal and 5R212 at Hallett Raceway Oklahoma and Lake Afton, west of Wichita Ks.

What's crazy, I looked at 5R212 in  Dr. Recknegal's shop in June 1986, still sitting in post race form, with a broom leaning against the car and a pizza box on the roof.  When I find the one photo I took, I will post.

Cory

Bob Gaines

Back in the day I called up Doc Recknegal (RIP) while he still had the car to inquire about if it was for sale. That was my first time I experienced how eccentric he was. One minute he talked normal and the next it was paranoid city  about how I found out about the cars. He also had a son who liked to string people along about a possible purchase of Docs cars and parts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

Hi Bob,

Also back in the day, Dick Roush, from Washington State, traveled to Enid to help Doc gather the misplace parts for the car.  IIRC, he spent days going through boxes, shelves and trailers of parts, collecting as many parts for 5R212.  I think Dick also was trying to buy the car, but it did not happen.

You said "That was my first time I experienced how eccentric he was."  I think Doc was very weary of people buying stuff.  He was reluctant to sell, thinking people were taking advantage of him and flipping the item or car and making money off him.  I think he enjoy the attention, but did not want you to make any money off of him.  The best way to buy from Doc, was to over pay.  That way he thought he got the better of you.

Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on November 26, 2023, 05:49:20 PM
Hi Bob,

Also back in the day, Dick Roush, from Washington State, traveled to Enid to help Doc gather the misplace parts for the car.  IIRC, he spent days going through boxes, shelves and trailers of parts, collecting as many parts for 5R212.  I think Dick also was trying to buy the car, but it did not happen.

You said "That was my first time I experienced how eccentric he was."  I think Doc was very weary of people buying stuff.  He was reluctant to sell, thinking people were taking advantage of him and flipping the item or car and making money off him.  I think he enjoy the attention, but did not want you to make any money off of him.  The best way to buy from Doc, was to over pay.  That way he thought he got the better of you.

Cory
Cory ,I am in agreement with your observations.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shane

Quote from: 6s1640 on November 26, 2023, 03:07:23 AM
This car was owned by Dr. Ed Recknegal (1977 to 2000) of Enid Oklahoma, RIP.  He told me that the owner (Larry Zane) of the R-model gave him cash and 5R212 for the wrecked Alan Mann GT40.  I understood the GT40 was wrecked by two teenage boys joy riding the car in Enid.  I am not sure if the car was stolen or borrowed.  When Dr. Recknegal told me the story, he may have adjusted the facts.   Dr. Rechnegal purchased the wrecked hulk, likely plans to take the engine out and put into another race car.

In circa 2000, the R-model was part of a ten car purchased from Phil Gallant (Gallant's Truck Salvage, Oceanside California) along with a 1965 GT350 (5S312), 1966 GT350, Shelby TransAm car, plus others.  This was recorded in an article in the Rear Scoop.  I also understood the 1965 GT350 was included as partial payment for the restoration of 5R212.  A review of the 2011 registry does not reflect this account.  So I am not certain of the accuracy, but I believe Randy Gilles told it to me.  I bought the 1966 GT350 from Phil.

Fred Hilbert (5R094) in Wichita Kansas likely saw some track time with Dr. Recknegal and 5R212 at Hallett Raceway Oklahoma and Lake Afton, west of Wichita Ks.

What's crazy, I looked at 5R212 in  Dr. Recknegal's shop in June 1986, still sitting in post race form, with a broom leaning against the car and a pizza box on the roof.  When I find the one photo I took, I will post.

Cory

FWIW, I heard one of the boys was housesitting for the GT40's owner when he and his buddy took the car out for a joy ride and wrecked it speeding over an elevated part of the road with train tracks. I believe the passenger was killed in the accident. When Recknegal purchased the car he pulled the engine and put it into a 66 k-code coupe which was raced in the region for a couple of years or so until it threw the drive shaft through the floorboard. Luckily the driver has not seriously injured but the car was retired and engine was removed, with the k-code parked in a field for many years. I got this information from the driver in El Reno a few years ago.

The k-code was not sold with the 10 other Recknegal cars circa 2000 despite several attempts by multiple people to pry it loose. Recknegal's mechanic eventually bought it and eventually sold it to me and I still have it. Alas, I do not have the GT40 engine that once resided in the car! Its whereabouts is unknown as far as I know. Welcome corrections. 

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

TA Coupe

Randy (RIP) helped Phil acquire the cars and parts and spent a couple weeks looking for the parts and transporting cars.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

6s1640

5R212 in June 1986.   Looks like it might have been a running car at the time.

Cory

Chad

I was at that auction and looked 212 over very well.  That was not a real sale!  No one was bidding on that car.

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: Chad on February 08, 2024, 09:37:43 AM
I was at that auction and looked 212 over very well.  That was not a real sale!  No one was bidding on that car.
So who currently owns the car? 

I'm a bit naive to the alleged "sales" of these R cars but I sure would like to learn.  Here's #101 that currently sits in the Shelby museum in Vegas which is owned by Aaron Shelby.  It looks like it ran through Gooding and Company in 2021 and it apparently sold for $775,000.  Did Aaron buy it in 2021 or was that another "not a real sale"?

The interesting thing about #101, which currently resides in Vegas, is that there is paper work sitting on the front seat of the car that shows Aaron as the current owner along with his contact info.  I actually thought about calling him to inquire if the car is currently for sale, or possibly for sale in the future.   I don't know if I am a dead dog serious buyer but you never know, if it was available, I could be easily convinced.

QSS

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.