News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Technical section T/A details

Started by gt350shelb, November 26, 2023, 03:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

How did they make a TP intake work with 351w heads? It sure looks like a TP from way up here in NY. Devils in the details I suppose? Beyond kool. Shocking actually.

Fun to look at. Thanks for posting.

Good to see there are crazier folks then me.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

Quote from: deathsled on November 27, 2023, 08:49:26 PM
Where did you get all these photos?  I have never seen them before.  Are they personal photos?  Were you there at these races?  If so, impressed.

these races were well before me       but  i have mined the internet  for any vintage t/a race pictures i can find .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

gt350shelb

Intake is c6zz t/a  not tunnelport. just like one on my dresser .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

That's the 9 cylinder version.

They resemble each other very closely, the TA and the TP as if the TP is a Ford modification of the TA.

Mine's a C60A. Actually wanted a Shelby lettered version but I had to settle. Life's tough sometimes?

The story is the SCCA rules comity wanted an intake with a Mustang part number on it so Ford had them recast with the C6ZZ ID.

I didn't realize that they were equal length runners until I got mine.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

Tunnelport stuff.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

Great stuff. Looks like a Bud Moore oil pan,
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

very kool vintage racing stuff
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

Phil, "your" engine likely was assembled by someone with inside information and I wouldn't be shocked that initially the 302 TP used the 312 rocker shaft assembly.

Ford does tend to do things like that.

In any case from the pictures they really look close enough to be labeled "the same".

I don't think there is anyone left that actually had/has hands on knowledge of the subject?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TA Coupe on November 28, 2023, 06:12:11 AM
Tunnelport stuff.

Roy
The shadowing at the balancer is so dark that it is hard to tell if the balancer is the 68 hipo style with the diameter surface that has the small step down towards the rear or the pre 68 style that is smooth all the way across. What say you?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350shelb

gt350shelb

shelbydoug

Wow, but what is the point? What size valves are in the heads?

It would be interesting to see the flow numbers.

I suppose that there always could have been an "engineering feasibility study" by someone and this could be it? There is quite a bit of special machining time in those heads. Even the bolt heads appeared to be milled and the valve spring retainers titanium and unique?

I do remember 69 351w iron head substitution being recommended by Ford for racing around that time. I don't remember the flow numbers being much better then the 302w heads and certainly the exhausts were essentially the same.

In my 68 4v heads, the largest valves that would fit were the 1.94/1.60 combination. My 351w heads were the same configuration.

The AFR heads I now have take 2.02/1.60's with room to spare and the CNC flow numbers on the intake are at 296 @ .500" lift. Those are better then stock iron Boss 302 heads and actually better then my aluminum A3 Cleveland race heads because of the lower lifts involved and huge differences but are only useful where the engine can pump that much air to begin with.

So as the discussion on air flow numbers continue, air flow volume isn't everything.

I'm thinking a 20hp gain using the 351w heads was mentioned in the early '70s? Personally I thought that I lost power with them even after shaving them down.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

they also run shell lifters with longer pushrods

gt350shelb

think this post needs to be split at #25 to separate the war bonett stuff from the  vintage t/a engine stuff thats a whole nother anima.l

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350shelb on November 29, 2023, 09:35:09 PM
think this post needs to be split at #25 to separate the war bonett stuff from the  vintage t/a engine stuff thats a whole nother anima.l

Yep.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!