News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Cobra daytona 7 litre

Started by Angelo, November 27, 2023, 08:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

rhjanes

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1965-shelby-cobra-daytona-427-super-coupe/

Lots of stuff about it out on the web.  I was thinking it was in the Shelby museum in Boulder CO but don't see it listed. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Nova68

Is this the one in the Brothers collection in Salem oregon.

Cobra Ned

The car pictured in the magazine article above is not CSX 3054, which was the big-block "Super Coupe." If you look closely, you'll see it looks like one of the original small-block Daytona Coupes. How can that be? Maybe the car in the article is CSX 2286, which was the last of the coupes to be finished even though it was the lowest chassis number. Its completion was delayed by a request by Carroll Shelby to lengthen the chassis by 3 inches and install a Ford 390 cubic-inch engine rather than a 289. Aha. A 7-litre Cobra Coupe. Except that it never got built. It was determined that the standard 289 version was what was needed, and the 390 car was cancelled. But it appears that's the car that was written up in that German article.

rhjanes

Quote from: Cobra Ned on November 27, 2023, 08:00:29 PM
The car pictured in the magazine article above is not CSX 3054, which was the big-block "Super Coupe." If you look closely, you'll see it looks like one of the original small-block Daytona Coupes. How can that be? Maybe the car in the article is CSX 2286, which was the last of the coupes to be finished even though it was the lowest chassis number. Its completion was delayed by a request by Carroll Shelby to lengthen the chassis by 3 inches and install a Ford 390 cubic-inch engine rather than a 289. Aha. A 7-litre Cobra Coupe. Except that it never got built. It was determined that the standard 289 version was what was needed, and the 390 car was cancelled. But it appears that's the car that was written up in that German article.

AH.  Good eyes.  I agree. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Angelo

The article is in an old dutch magazine, i i will translate it to english later

Angelo

The article was made in sept 64
The car was in italy at gran sport in modena, the chassis was extended by 10 cm , the wheeltrack was 4cm wider
The article says there is only 1 coupe constructed at the time of the article, the engine is a 7 litre 520 hp indy engine ,

shelbydoug

I remember the story of the lengthened chassis somewhat.

Did the chassis actually get lengthened? Was it returned to original length after the project cancelled?

Did it get to the point where the aluminum nose got lengthened also?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6R07mi

I thought the story was CSX2286 was going to be Carroll's "secret weapon"  for Le Mans 1965 with the aluminum 390, but both engine ( FoMoCo engine division ) delays and construction delays  meant it wouldn't be ready for Le Mans.

And perhaps more importantly it would have to compete in prototype class not GT, so it would be directly competing with GT-40s,
I don't see FoMoCo, who has earlier that year dropped the un-successful GT program in SAI's lap to produce wins ( or else ?) and is bank rolling SAI,
being very happy with Shelby showing up with a car that could run with the GT-40s for a LOT less $'s ??

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 6R07mi on November 29, 2023, 12:26:58 PM
I thought the story was CSX2286 was going to be Carroll's "secret weapon"  for Le Mans 1965 with the aluminum 390, but both engine ( FoMoCo engine division ) delays and construction delays  meant it wouldn't be ready for Le Mans.

And perhaps more importantly it would have to compete in prototype class not GT, so it would be directly competing with GT-40s,
I don't see FoMoCo, who has earlier that year dropped the un-successful GT program in SAI's lap to produce wins ( or else ?) and is bank rolling SAI,
being very happy with Shelby showing up with a car that could run with the GT-40s for a LOT less $'s ??

Ford ordered Shelby to shelve the Coupes and focus on the GT40. He almost won LeMans overall in 64 with the Coupe. When the Coupes won the World Manufacturer's Cup they were being campaigned in Europe by Alan Mann Racing - not SA. CS was done with them and told Alan Mann to dump them in the channel. Alan Mann shipped them back to CS at his own expense.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless