News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

period detail shot

Started by gt350shelb, November 27, 2023, 09:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Special Ed

Great photo note the phosphate battery j bolt next to the silver upper rad hose clamp.

rhjanes

Laying across the upper radiator hose, appears to be a small metal vacuum line.  Anyone know what that is?

Also, There is an oil breather cap that is off the rear passenger side valve cover, up at the front of the passenger valve cover.  There also appears to be an open hose there.  Part of the breather? 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Special Ed on November 27, 2023, 10:12:50 PM
Great photo note the phosphate battery j bolt next to the silver upper rad hose clamp.
Ed that is not surprising given this is a later outboard headlight car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 27, 2023, 11:44:38 PM
Quote from: Special Ed on November 27, 2023, 10:12:50 PM
Ed that is not surprising given this is a later outboard headlight car.
It is in vintage pictures of very early production cars that the J bolts appear to be bright zinc .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rhjanes on November 27, 2023, 11:31:22 PM
Laying across the upper radiator hose, appears to be a small metal vacuum line.  Anyone know what that is?

Also, There is an oil breather cap that is off the rear passenger side valve cover, up at the front of the passenger valve cover.  There also appears to be an open hose there.  Part of the breather?
The GT500 with thermactor used a special oil filler tube that had a sideways extended nipple.  A check valve was sandwiched between two hoses that connected to the air cleaner assembly. The short open end of the hose is what you see in the picture . The check valve and other short hose would most likely still be connected to the air cleaner assembly that is out of the picture

J_Speegle

Quote from: rhjanes on November 27, 2023, 11:31:22 PM

That is the vacuum line for the Thermactor valve located basically directly below it in the picture. Tube screws into the threads into its main body of the valve with a brass fitting

Quote from: rhjanes on November 27, 2023, 11:31:22 PMAlso, There is an oil breather cap that is off the rear passenger side valve cover, up at the front of the passenger valve cover.  There also appears to be an open hose there.  Part of the breather?

Not sure where your indicating. No oil breather car on the passenger side valve cover on these cars

At the rear of the passenger side valve cover I see the PCV hose attached to the PCV and the heater hose bend up under the export brace and then down/rearward to the heater core nipple. There is another hose just forward of those two that is the passenger side Thermator hose that attaches to the Thermactor manifold for the passenger side head.

Maybe your seeing the short section of hose that attaches to the breather tube inserted in the front of the intake manifold with the chrome breather cap in place. That hose would have attached to (on this model with the options it has) to a check valve and another short hose that would connect to an elbow on the base of the air cleaner

Guess Bob wrote less and got his message posted first  :)

To make up for being second here are some pictures to better illustrate. Looks like someone in the picture in the original post disconnected the vacuum flex hose and either bent the tube on purpose or leaned on it when doing something else  ::)

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TA Coupe

Couple of other pictures of air cleaner bottoms and tops

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

mgreene

How many used the "Shelby" and not the "Cobra" valve covers?
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

rhjanes

Thank you to Bob and J for their willingness to share their knowledge!

I don't think I've seen a 1967 GT500 with the Thermactor in person. 
The Concourse photo's are great. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mgreene on November 28, 2023, 08:27:16 AM
How many used the "Shelby" and not the "Cobra" valve covers?
The article that the picture is associated with is about installing the Shelby valve covers . The Shelby valve covers were a over the counter aftermarket item that did not come on regular production cars.The 67 GT 500 came with Cobra LeMans (all in one line )wording from the factory.

Bob Gaines

Without looking at my notes I think it was a vintage issue of Popular Mechanic or Popular Science that the article was in.

Bill Collins

I think it was Popular Hot Rodding. Published between 1962 and 2014, part of the Motor Trend group. Best known for their "Project X" '57 Chevy build series.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bill Collins on November 28, 2023, 11:08:26 AM
I think it was Popular Hot Rodding. Published between 1962 and 2014, part of the Motor Trend group. Best known for their "Project X" '57 Chevy build series.

+1  That is where I I found it when I scanned the same picture
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge