News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

period detail shot

Started by gt350shelb, November 27, 2023, 09:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: 430dragpack on November 30, 2023, 09:11:21 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 30, 2023, 07:04:50 AM
While this subject is open, I have a few questions.

1) Is that oil filler cap what is expected on all '67 GT500's or do they vary?

2) The Cobra Lemans driver's side valve cover is machined for clearance to the master brake cylinder for clearance. Doesn't the CS Shelby cover need that also?

3) Does the heater hose routing vary according to emissions or non-emission GT500 applications? Where would you expect to see it on a non-emissions car?

Which cap are you asking about?  The scalloped, "cookie cutter" cap on the drivers side valve cover was only used on the closed crankcase emissions/thermactor GT 500's(and '67 427 Fairlanes/Comets).  They could be Autolite stamped or no script un-stamped.
The chrome, Autolite stamped cap on the intake fill tube is typically the style expected for a later car.  The earlier cars used the same style/shape cap that were stamped with the FoMoCo in an oval from my understanding.  Others will know approximately when the phasing in occurred for the Autolite caps.  I was also told that not all of them were chrome, and black painted variations of each type script cap were used sparingly throughout production.  Again, maybe someone has a more definitive time frame of usage.

The cookie cutter is the one that caught my attention and curiosity.

My 67 500, 3074, is a non-emissions 4 speed so if you are correct, that isn't what should have been on the car as built anyway.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

430dragpack

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 30, 2023, 09:31:22 AM

2) The Cobra Lemans driver's side valve cover is machined for clearance to the master brake cylinder for clearance. Doesn't the CS Shelby cover need that also?

3) Does the heater hose routing vary according to emissions or non-emission GT500 applications? Where would you expect to see it on a non-emissions car?

Which cap are you asking about?  The scalloped, "cookie cutter" cap on the drivers side valve cover was only used on the closed crankcase emissions/thermactor GT 500's(and '67 427 Fairlanes/Comets).  They could be Autolite stamped or no script un-stamped.
The chrome, Autolite stamped cap on the intake fill tube is typically the style expected for a later car.  The earlier cars used the same style/shape cap that were stamped with the FoMoCo in an oval from my understanding.  Others will know approximately when the phasing in occurred for the Autolite caps.  I was also told that not all of them were chrome, and black painted variations of each type script cap were used sparingly throughout production.  Again, maybe someone has a more definitive time frame of usage.

The cookie cutter is the one that caught my attention and curiosity.

My 67 500, 3074, is a non-emissions 4 speed so if you are correct, that isn't what should have been on the car as built anyway.

Your open emissions driver side cap should be this style of twist on and probably Autolite stamped instead of FoMoCo in a box.  Again, I've been told chrome and black were intermixed used.  The push on cap in the picture is for reference of size between the oil fill tube cap (smaller) and valve cover cap.

Bob Gaines

The chrome, Autolite stamped cap on the intake fill tube in the first picture at the beginning of this thread, is typically the style expected for a later car.  The earlier cars used the same style/shape cap that were stamped with the FoMoCo in an oval from my understanding.  Others will know approximately when the phasing in occurred for the Autolite caps.  I was also told that not all of them were chrome, and black painted variations of each type script cap were used sparingly throughout production.  Again, maybe someone has a more definitive time frame of usage.

Something I've been wondering about is did some of the closed emission/thermactor GT500's use the oil fill tube cap and spark arrestor system pictured below if the regular, straight oil fill tube was used instead of the C4AZ-6763-A curved fill tube with the nipple on the side that Jeff posted a picture of.  If so, then that opens up another whole batch of closed crankcase emission caps, scripts, finishes, shapes/sizes.
The closed emission "cookie cutter"  cap first came without Autolite marked which is most correct (and hardest to find)for this application. The Autolite marked version was used on much later production cars. The smaller push on cap used on the oil fill tube came with the FORD in script in the oval, FOMOCO in the rectangle or on mid to later production cars AUTOLITE. As stated although a anomaly some GT500's came with black painted caps probably because of supply problems . The chrome cap is most correct as it is what the engine option was supposed to get along with the chrome dipstick and radiator cap. The special C4AZ-6763-A emission tube with the nipple on the side was overwhelming the most used filler neck used on thermactor cars . Some  thermactor 67 GT500 used the standard straight tube but only for a brief time and only on the earliest of 67 GT500 production cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

430dragpack

Thanks Bob, for clarification on the oil fill tube usage.  The two pictures I posted in reply #29 are of car #590 (green) and #620 (blue) for reference.  Not sure if that constitutes them as being some of the earliest, but they are both pretty early. 
Chris

shelbydoug

What is the part number for the "cookie cutter cap"? I can't find that? Was one a service part?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

430dragpack

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 30, 2023, 11:56:54 AM
What is the part number for the "cookie cutter cap"? I can't find that? Was one a service part?

C7AZ-6766-A (engineering number C5AE-6766-K)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 430dragpack on November 30, 2023, 10:51:47 AM
Thanks Bob, for clarification on the oil fill tube usage.  The two pictures I posted in reply #29 are of car #590 (green) and #620 (blue) for reference.  Not sure if that constitutes them as being some of the earliest, but they are both pretty early. 
Chris
Of course pictures of restored cars although well done can not be taken as stand alone documentation . Especially when showing out of the ordinary usage.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

430dragpack

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 30, 2023, 12:54:06 PM
Quote from: 430dragpack on November 30, 2023, 10:51:47 AM
Chris
Of course pictures of restored cars although well done can not be taken as stand alone documentation . Especially when showing out of the ordinary usage.
[/color]

Exactly.

6s2055

I'm confused. My '67 GT500 (#0962) had a breather cap on the valve cover and had a thermal smog set up. Somewhere in tha archive there is a picture of the engine compartment.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s2055 on December 01, 2023, 11:15:50 AM
I'm confused. My '67 GT500 (#0962) had a breather cap on the valve cover and had a thermal smog set up. Somewhere in tha archive there is a picture of the engine compartment.
The emission cap was typical on a thermactor equipped car . They are hard to find. A breather cap on the valve cover was for non emission cars. A breather cap on a valve cover of a emission car could happen by factory mistake or past owner substitution. One is more likely then the other . In concours for example a out of the ordinary occurrence like that would require reasonable proof for that specific car . Just because one car has a mistake doesn't mean it is historically proper for every car to be presented with the same mistake .

6s2055

Thank you Bob. So most likely the breather cap on 0962 was an error. The engine compartment picture I have is dated June '67 about a month or so after i bought it. Too many memories @80!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s2055 on December 01, 2023, 11:37:29 AM
Thank you Bob. So most likely the breather cap on 0962 was an error. The engine compartment picture I have is dated June '67 about a month or so after i bought it. Too many memories @80!
Error ? Yes apparently it is since the crankcase fumes were meant to be contained under the valve cover with a closed off cap so that the fumes could instead be routed and pumped into the exhaust to be burned off. A open emission cap lets the fumes escape to the atmosphere compromising the effectiveness of the thermactor system.Sometimes things happened by happenstance that are different from the way they were meant to be.

J_Speegle

Quote from: 6s2055 on December 01, 2023, 11:15:50 AM

These the ones your thinking of?

Pictures developed/printed June 1967

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

Would guess that a fair number of us have seen this picture also from a period magazine

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s2055

Jeff, the colored pictures are the ones! Took those in my parents garage! Interesting thing was I decided to take all the smog off and put plugs in the holes! Took almost 2-3 hours. When done fired it up drove a block and then it just stopped! Didn't know you couldn't just disconnect without retiming.Was at the age...22...where I thought I knew everything! Put it all back and never tried that again! About 6 months later I bought CSX2192. Had both till late '69. Who would have know the future value as they were every day drivers....not the Cobra in the rain though....it leaked!