News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Fuel gauge tape/ Trunk lid bolts

Started by Joebantelman, November 28, 2023, 03:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joebantelman

I've noticed that there are several different types of tape used to secure the yellow fuel gauge in the trunk of the 67 Shelby G. T. 350 the width also is different. I've seen gloss black and flat black. I've seen1" as well  as 2" width.  Is there a " correct" width and sheen and placement of tape?
Also the bolts that attach the trunk lid to the hinges. Are they painted green like the hinges , black like the underside of the trunk lid or are they phosphate?  Thank you for any help. 

J_Speegle

Had to look through your old posts to see what car your working on since production period can reflect different practices and products used. Your still working on 67 #1529 I'm guessing so March 29th

Quote from: Joebantelman on November 28, 2023, 03:24:00 AM
I've noticed that there are several different types of tape used to secure the yellow fuel gauge in the trunk of the 67 Shelby G. T. 350 the width also is different. I've seen gloss black and flat black. I've seen1" as well  as 2" width.  Is there a " correct" width and sheen and placement of tape?

Product was typically 4" wide and a flat top finish that you could see the cloth in

Here are some pictures of the wire routing around the same time your car was build at San Jose and how it was secured. You might notice that the original wires in the picture are not yellow in color.  Tape typically on the drivers side then the use of two clips (rubber coated sheet metal tabs attached to two of the gas tank screws) hold it across the front edge of the gas tank. In some other periods we have discovered examples where at least one worker ignored the clips and just taped the wire to the floor above the clips but didn't find this taking place around when your car was built.

Looks like at least one of the shifts was skipping the tape for the fuel wire on the drivers side when your car was built. When it was used it was often where the red/purple arrow shows and sometimes (one worker it appears) liked to add a second piece where the green arrow was. Don't forget the rubber dipped sheet metal pinch piece that holes the wire to the wheel house pinch weld over the luggage guard strip in black along that same edge. If you had a car built during a different period the clip would be a different one - for those others reading this post

Quote from: Joebantelman on November 28, 2023, 03:24:00 AMAlso the bolts that attach the trunk lid to the hinges. Are they painted green like the hinges , black like the underside of the trunk lid or are they phosphate?  Thank you for any help.

Typically neither. Phosphate and oil since the car was shipped without a trunk lid from San Jose  they were installed at Shelby when they attached a prepainted trunk lid that for your period of production was not painted by Shelby on the bottom/trunk side except for overspray from the exterior paint application. Examples from around when your car was built at Shelby

Hopes this helps answer your questions
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

To add some clarification to Jeff's post, the later production all fiberglass trunk lids came from the fiberglass MFG with the bottom painted semigloss black or unpainted raw fiberglass. Shelby would paint the trunklid body color without masking the bottom side consequently you would see overspray from that painting process around the perimeter of the bottom side of the trunklid. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Joebantelman

Jeff,  Thanks for the highly detailed response. Definitely helps. Bob also thank you!

Joebantelman

The exact clip looks like it may be a hard find.  I researched the Harmonic balancer color and it said black.  Would this be semi-gloss in your opinion?

J_Speegle

Quote from: Joebantelman on December 01, 2023, 12:15:34 PM
The exact clip looks like it may be a hard find.  I researched the Harmonic balancer color and it said black.  Would this be semi-gloss in your opinion?

Not sure which clip but if its the one over the protective strip guess your looking for some place to just find it in a catalog or online that you can just click and ship. Tons of them around just not as easy to find one sitting at a computer screen  :)

Yes the balancer would be semi-gloss. Pretty much ever black painted item is some version of semi-gloss black but there are allot of different amounts of flat or gloss since they were pretty much all shot at different locations, by different plants, companies with different mixes and different conditions. In some cases (not many but some) the paint was applied by dipping that produces a glassier finish while others spraying was duller
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

The Osborn '67 Mustang Electrical assembly Manual, page E7-8185-1 (page 30) does show the routing & taping if the fuel wire in the trunk for the body models; 63 (fastback), 76 (convertible), 65 (hardtop) which are not all the same.  But to Jeff's point workers & plants did do variations.

Also some restored car images for discussion (the one is NOT the car number just a file number)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

Quote from: JD on December 01, 2023, 03:07:05 PM
The Osborn '67 Mustang Electrical assembly Manual, page E7-8185-1 (page 30) does show the routing & taping if the fuel wire in the trunk for the body models; 63 (fastback), 76 (convertible), 65 (hardtop) which are not all the same.  But to Jeff's point workers & plants did do variations.

Not only worker and plant variations the pages we have available sometimes have things (details, parts or plans) that were not put into production or were changed at some point in production. Just about every page available was printed to correct a page that either had a mistake or something changed and its unknown which of these pages were changed the next day, week or months later. Also since the pages we have are from allot of different Assembly Manuals from through out the year plus, they in whole do not even represent a single point in production for us to follow. They can be a great resource but we need to use the information contained in them IMHO with how the cars were really built. Just wanted to offer that point.

Since we've gotten to focusing on the fuel wire clip thought I would offer, as mentioned above, there were two different types of clips. Clearer pictures of each below

The change from early version to later appears to have taken place around the end of Jan to possibly the second week of Feb 1967 based on data collected from unrestored Mustangs/Shelby's built at San Jose. Hope this helps others.

Joebantelman

Jeff, You are right...... Not available in a catalog.   I even called Herb's Mustang.... He has everything... except those clips....I ll be on the hunt..  Thx again on the info. 
JD.... Great stuff.  Thanks very much for your input as well.  1529 is really taking shape after what seems like an eternity.  I've sent Kieth Ch. update pics along the way..

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Joebantelman on December 01, 2023, 10:00:18 PM
Jeff, You are right...... Not available in a catalog.   I even called Herb's Mustang.... He has everything... except those clips....I ll be on the hunt..  Thx again on the info. 
JD.... Great stuff.  Thanks very much for your input as well.  1529 is really taking shape after what seems like an eternity.  I've sent Kieth Ch. update pics along the way..
The later style clip which was used on the majority of 67 GT350's is available from NPD.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby