News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Cobra Jet camshaft recommendations

Started by Peter L., November 28, 2023, 04:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter L.

Hi guys. Looking for input on a stock replacement camshaft for my KR. Any ideas? ( 4spd. with A/C )
                      Thanks, Pete.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

Royce Peterson

Quote from: Peter L. on November 28, 2023, 04:39:17 PM
  Hi guys. Looking for input on a stock replacement camshaft for my KR. Any ideas? ( 4spd. with A/C )
                      Thanks, Pete.

I've used a Comp Cams 268H in about a dozen 428CJ engines. It's a perfect replacement for the stock cam. Lifters these days are crap, recommend you use Fomoco NOS ones from 30 or more years ago.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Cobrask8

+1 on the 268H, had it in mine. Good runner, not finicky.

Find the specs on that cam, and also find the specs on a stock CJ cam. Merge the two and find the average, then look for that cam in a roller design, and use QUALITY link-bar lifters.

427hunter

Just a word of warning, comp cams used to be 4 degrees advanced when installed straight up, now they are 4 degrees retarded straight up - make sure you degree the cam!
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

gt350shelb

there was a very nice cam available from ford motorsports ....im sure it is obsolete  by now but specs were in catalog .1990---2000?  or maybe there are still some floating around out there .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

TA Coupe

Is this the one you are referring to? From the 98 SVO CATALOG. If not I can go back as far as 1982.

ROY
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

gt350shelb

That is the one worked very well in street cars , had one in my 390  67 hardtop  4 speed  8)
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Cobrask8 on November 29, 2023, 12:06:32 PM
+1 on the 268H, had it in mine. Good runner, not finicky.

Find the specs on that cam, and also find the specs on a stock CJ cam. Merge the two and find the average, then look for that cam in a roller design, and use QUALITY link-bar lifters.
Thanks for letting me know what Cam is in my engine. Yes, the engine is a great runner. I enjoy the fruits of your labor, Dan.  8)
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

aj

One option is to contact Brent Lykins and let him specify and source you a custom cam.  Cost will not be much (if any) more than an off the shelf cam .  He's a Comp cams vendor.  He's well respected on FE engine forums.   Comp will grind cam per his spec and drop ship directly to you.  I've typically received custom camshafts thru brent in 7-10 days.   Lykinsmotorsports.com

Brent has quite a few youtube dyno videos that are fun and informative to watch.