News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Next generation and collector cars

Started by BGlover67, July 24, 2018, 06:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

kjspeed

How is this "bad news"? According to their extremely unscientific poll, 82% have at least some interest - that's not too bad. When I was young I'm sure there were at least 20% of my peers who couldn't have cared less about cars.

I say take the 82% who have some interest and fan those flames! Take a kid for a ride (they'll appreciate that more than admiring a look-but-don't-touch trailer queen). Make some noise, bang some gears and have some fun with it. Kids love to have fun! I'm doing my part: http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=2463.0

I'd love to see more videos of forum members taking a kid for a ride. Don't know how to take a video and upload it to the web? No problem!! I guarantee the kids know how!
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

BGlover67

Quote from: kjspeed on July 24, 2018, 07:31:14 PM
How is this "bad news"? According to their extremely unscientific poll, 82% have at least some interest - that's not too bad. When I was young I'm sure there were at least 20% of my peers who couldn't have cared less about cars.

I say take the 82% who have some interest and fan those flames! Take a kid for a ride (they'll appreciate that more than admiring a look-but-don't-touch trailer queen). Make some noise, bang some gears and have some fun with it. Kids love to have fun! I'm doing my part: http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=2463.0

I'd love to see more videos of forum members taking a kid for a ride. Don't know how to take a video and upload it to the web? No problem!! I guarantee the kids know how!

Great idea!  Perhaps Someone should start a 'take a kid for a ride in a classic' day.  Who knows how many converts we could make that day!
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

69mach351w

My granddaughter loves riding in our 67 Mustang. She also loves HER 69 Mach 1 she will receive provided she graduates from HS.

Bigfoot

2 of my kids.
Both teenagers have their own vintage Mustang.
Get er done...
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

J_Speegle

Might be interesting for each of us to reflect how many people of ownership age today are interested in these cars.  Yes from the total population of the country or continent. And what percentage of the population owns one. Not going to be very high IMHO

According to the article the question was asked of the older family members about the younger - of young children or grandchildren age.  Wonder how the poll would have differed if they were age directly
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

My dad loved old cars,I love old cars,my kids just don't care..I blame the internet....

Bigfoot

Quote from: 557 on July 25, 2018, 09:18:20 AM
My dad loved old cars,I love old cars,my kids just don't care..I blame the internet....

What will u do with ur Shelby in 20 -30 years....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

Quote from: vtgt500 on July 25, 2018, 08:03:00 AM
Once they gravitate to BMWs, Lexus, and Mercedes, classic Detroit iron has no significance.

Like I always say....
Why do people buy foreign cars....?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Harris Speedster

A person just needs to look to the future, maybe by looking into the past.
New world out there, and many of the younger set could care less about what we care about, plain and simple.

We started chasing >>> up and comers to the collector car market 6 years ago.
Settled on one make that seems to be bringing the younger generation into the investment / collector car arena.
With respect,
john
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

deathsled

My 9 year old son is in visiting from Germany. I took him and my 90 year old father up to Road America last weekend for the Trans am reunion. My son didn't care one bit about the cars. He was desperate to get back on his Tablet to play computer games. I don't get it. Trying to teach him piano as well. Zero interest in music either. I think he is a gaming addict. But he does want to work at a car wash when he grows up he says. Going to take him to a cart track today and get him behind the wheel. Get him to pretend it's one big computer game...
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

kjspeed

It seems to me that much of the enthusiasm (or lack thereof) felt by the younger generation towards classic or muscle cars is related to their experience. Case in point; my grandson came down to Florida for a couple weeks and grandpa wanted to do some fun stuff with him. He is a bit of a car guy - he and his dad crew for an X275 drag car, so he is interested in most things mechanical/automotive. We took one day to head over to Ocala and go through the Don Garlits museum. I figured that since he liked drag racing he'd really enjoy that. Not so much. He was done walking through the main building before I was done examining the first two cars (of 166). Admiring vintage drag cars was boring to him. He showed little to no enthusiasm gazing at a SOHC or a one-of-a-kind Boss Shotgun (built by Smokey Yunick for AJ Foyt).

The one thing he did like (at first) was the Reaction Time drag simulator. He kicked grandpa's butt with the Pro tree winning 3 out of 5. He liked that. He was less enthusiastic when I schooled him 5-0 on the full tree, but he was far more interested in DOING something than LOOKING at something.

The next day, I asked him if he would take some video when we took the Shelby out. We had a nice cruise and he had fun recording parts of the ride. Then we came home and he helped me upload the videos to my YouTube channel. We spent some time playing around with editing tools and it's amazing how quickly he can master unfamiliar software. In the end we just uploaded the raw video but it seemed like where we could find an intersection of his technological world and my mechanical world we both shared in a cool experience and made some great memories. That's a good thing because there is nowhere to plug a laptop into my 68... ;)
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

The generation after the millennials is generation Z. Here is an example of their mindset;

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/climate-kids-suit-against-government-allowed-to-proceed/ar-BBKSlCj?OCID=ansmsnnews11

For the record, I believe in man influenced Climate Change. But for where we are at the moment, ignoring the fact that we are destroying air-scrubbing rain forests and adding a billion people to the planet every 12-15 years and instead are focusing on bringing down the American economy and killing off the ICE goes to show just how political the issue is and how our media and educational institutions are directing the discussion, especially for the young malleable minds.

Quote from: Bigfoot on July 25, 2018, 09:24:21 AM
Quote from: 557 on July 25, 2018, 09:18:20 AM

What will u do with ur Shelby in 20 -30 years....
.    Still be driving it I hope....I plan to live forever...  8)

terlingua11

^^^^ Lol out loud funny. My wife jokes that I have said when I die please burry me inside the car!
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R