News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

original hipo lid or not ?

Started by gt350shelb, December 06, 2023, 08:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

s2ms

I vote yes, looks like the correct contours...
Dave - 6S1757

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

98SVT - was 06GT

There are a lot of repops with the right contours but wrong material thickness. The last one is a 65-up repop the angle isn't right on the small top area. There is also an early one 64-5 that has a double hump. I always ran an aftermarket dropped bottom and 3" element.
Your's has the correct angle.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

Yes even the good the repros have been out long enough to gain patina from use so that is not a deciding factor. The metal thickness as mention is another "tell" to determine if original or not. The original thicker metal is noticeably heavier compared to the repro. I am glad to see the repros get so good given the originals are so few and far between.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Vernon Estes

I'll add that hole size for the stud is an easier tell than the contours when photo angles can make seeing the profiles of the lid contours difficult.

Looks like the real McCoy to me
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

gt350shelb

well then i guess it stays on 545 and i have one for the 66 notchback  8)

65shelby

That is an original BTW.... Nice piece!

The way I've always verified, besides the weight difference, is the first radius inside the outer Flat Surface Diameter.
A larger 'Thumb' radius, or about the size of a Quarter, is original and are not reproduced in that configuration that I've seen.
The smaller 'Pinky' radius, or about the size of a Dime, is what all the repro's have.

There are soooo many repro's out there that I've been able to score a few originals at swap meet used repro prices / $20-30!

Mark
Mark Young
Union County Mustangs, since 1987

1955 T-Bird (Grandfather's original car)
1966 GT350 Carry-Over replica
1966 K-GT 2+2
2001 GT Bullitt (Son's)
2007 GT/CS Convertible (Wife's)
2011 V6 GT500 Tribute (Daughter's)
2018 GT350 White/Blue