News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Going to install one of these on my car

Started by deathsled, December 11, 2023, 11:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Quote from: greekz on December 11, 2023, 03:27:43 PM
I have been disconnecting the negative cable in using a rubber cap over the post for over 30 years.  No fires, no drained battery, no ugly add on.

+3
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Side-Oilers

I've always disconnected the positive terminal.  That way I know 100% there's no chance of electricity in the system, via a possible short.

What's the benefit of removing the negative terminal instead of the positive?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

I stuck this one in the Model A. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1442?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiAg9urBhB_EiwAgw88meQQlE_DZKu-pPJ3d1ZwhIHeT1EjlRZGIsvDkJy1CB0cEiDd0H8OthoCeokQAvD_BwE
It's hidden under the edge of the floor mat. Don't use a disconnect in a car that has a brain (OBD I (?) & II). it will have to relearn every time you reconnect.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

greekz

The negative cable provides the grounding for the entire car via the engine block to the firewall.  Without a ground, nothing in the electrical system functions.  Disconnecting the positive is another way to isolate the battery, but the car is has a ground.  I just prefer removing the ground.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Side-Oilers

Greekz, thanks for your reply. 

Agreed, in a properly operating electrical system, disconnecting the positive or negative produces the same absolute no-current-possible results. 

But, could there be an occurrence where there's a slight short somewhere in the system that could manifest into something bad if the positive is left connected?  I'd think that might be possibility.

That's why I choose to remove the positive.

I guess I could remove both cables, then been able to sleep completely worry-free.    ;D
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Lincoln tech

Quote from: Side-Oilers on December 11, 2023, 05:31:10 PM
I guess I could remove both cables, then been able to sleep completely worry-free.    ;D
Or install 2 of those  ;)

427heaven

X2 VAN .....Electricians and MEK A NICKS prefer to remove the power source not just remove a circuit, myself included!

greekz

I have never felt any anxiety by removing only the negative cable.  I suppose totally removing the battery from the circuit could be one more step to a peaceful nights sleep.  We all have to do what feels comfortable.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Don Johnston

I have been using the NAPA disconnect for years without a problem.  Definingly prevents any battery bleed.  Didi not use it on the 65 Mustang GT due to annoyance of having to reset the the clock each time.  I used a trickle charger instead which was disconnected when I was not going to be at home in case of fire.

J_Speegle

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on December 11, 2023, 05:11:04 PM
I stuck this one in the Model A. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1442?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiAg9urBhB_EiwAgw88meQQlE_DZKu-pPJ3d1ZwhIHeT1EjlRZGIsvDkJy1CB0cEiDd0H8OthoCeokQAvD_BwE

Sure you mounted your safely but it reminded me of a similar one mount on a 67 Shelby a few years back I found during an inspection. Someone didn't think it through IMHO. Might have been very exciting when the driver went to engage the parking brake and the cable was pulled against the post or cable end(s)

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

deathsled

Battery kill switch is installed.  Video is in the link.
https://youtu.be/hRIReH9TmQQ

The benefit of said switch works where your car is parked long enough for a thief to steal your car but not long enough for the thief to diagnose and remedy the problem. 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on December 11, 2023, 06:37:35 PM
Battery kill switch is installed.  Video is in the link.
https://youtu.be/hRIReH9TmQQ

The benefit of said switch works where your car is parked long enough for a thief to steal your car but not long enough for the thief to diagnose and remedy the problem.

counselor we are so impressed with your videos,  the tone, clarity and the eloqounce of your speech made for us the common folks easy to comprehend and follow.

your proper usage of P. P. E.s gloves, glasses was on point to not only illustrate the proper installation,  but a proper safe installation.

we give you two thumbs up !

if you ever leave the legal field, you could possible transcend as the  "Mechanical Ghuru"

best of luck !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

You're hilarious, Tony.  I am barely above putting a nut and bolt together.  Any mechanical knowledge I have, which is entirely scant, is all derivative from all those around me and those who existed before me.  I have invented nothing, built nothing, welded nothing. 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on December 11, 2023, 07:24:53 PM
You're hilarious, Tony.  I am barely above putting a nut and bolt together.  Any mechanical knowledge I have, which is entirely scant, is all derivative from all those around me and those who existed before me.  I have invented nothing, built nothing, welded nothing.

your modesty and humility knows no bounds.....
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

427heaven

SLED ..... Thats why you are a Lawyer.  It was fun to watch, but you over came all obstacles on your quest to install that damned new cut out switch. Congratulations! ;)