News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

best choice headlight???

Started by imming1965, December 12, 2023, 09:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imming1965

What is the consensus on correct aftermarket headlight to use for judging? embossed ford logo? engraved ford logo?
Also did shelby use different styles depending on when car was built? thanks Jeremy

Bob Gaines

Quote from: imming1965 on December 12, 2023, 09:29:03 AM
What is the consensus on correct aftermarket headlight to use for judging? embossed ford logo? engraved ford logo?
Also did shelby use different styles depending on when car was built? thanks Jeremy
There is currently no credible evidence that the embossed (raised ) Westinghouse  FOMOCO trademarked bulbs were used on any year 65-70 Shelby. In order of typical acceptance is original vintage TS or GE bulb with proper etched FOMOCO trademark. Next best is a vintage TS or GE bulb that you can sand etch the trademark on. The third best but less accepted depending on concours class and venue is a modern GE bulb (given GE is a OEM MFG)  that you have sand etched with the FOMOCO trademark . FYI the flute's or lines in the glass on a modern bulb are spaced differently compared to a 1960's bulb. The differences can be distinguished from a short distance away.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

You also didn't say what class. Only option 1 in Div 1

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TLea on December 12, 2023, 12:52:12 PM
Option 2 is also a option if in DIV I that is if work is properly executed.  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 12, 2023, 01:06:11 PM
Quote from: TLea on December 12, 2023, 12:52:12 PM
Option 2 is also a option if in DIV I that is if work is properly executed.  ;)
True. If I can't tell, benefit goes to the car

Coralsnake

SAAC needs to get rid of the divisions in concours judging.

Cars that are currently Division 1 should be recognized by special awards in addition to the Gold.

Just my opinion
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 12, 2023, 02:14:58 PM
SAAC needs to get rid of the divisions in concours judging.

Cars that are currently Division 1 should be recognized by special awards in addition to the Gold.

Just my opinion
Isn't that kind of the same thing? Div I being the special award in your eyes.

Coralsnake

I understand your thought process. What I am trying to address is the constant discussion about the differences in judging standards. 95% of the cars are division 2 and all that does is create confusion. People should not be asking whats acceptable in a certain class....

😉
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 12, 2023, 05:58:47 PM
I understand your thought process. What I am trying to address is the constant discussion about the differences in judging standards. 95% of the cars are division 2 and all that does is create confusion. People should not be asking whats acceptable in a certain class....

😉
We have a lot of newbies (thank God for that ) that don't understand the differences and consequently the divisions of some type seem to be the best way to separate the many differences in parts and expectations for condition. I too am always looking for a better way.  We as a group need to keep working on it.

Special Ed

In  div 2  i make note or partial deduction if the repo part is poorly made  and fits poorly or not resemble the original part so parts vendors  have to try and better make parts and not make them as cheap as possible. I hear so many car guys complain about  cheap bad fitting repo parts and if these parts were sent back to the vendor with a complaint maybe they will make them better ( yeah right). I would rather see an original part that wasnt perfect than some of them cheap repo junk parts made out there.

JD

I'm fine with the Division I and Division II, just need to better explain (and post) that the workmanship expected is the same for both and that the parts used is the main difference with Division I using "assembly line" parts which is the really tough & expensive (if you think Division II was expensive welcome to the real hurt in the wallet).

Perhaps a thread at the top of the "Concours Talk"  in the SAAC HQ forum the outlines All the Divisions.  What is currently there address other aspects of Concours but doesn't discuss or explain the Divisions.

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=23177.0

I get asked often once this topic comes up as most don't know or understand that there are Divisions and what each entails. 
(I too am willing to make "some" allowance for really great condition original parts)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Shawn

A period correct bulb just looks great on 67 Shelbys.  The glass, profile and etching just makes the front of the car look as it should.  If you're trying to source an original set try West Coast Classic Cougar.  The Cougars have the same diameter bulb and were protected behind the hideaway headlight covers. 

Bob Gaines

FYI when looking to get a used original only pick ones that do not have a blueish gray stain on the reflector. it is easy to miss unless you look at bulb from different angles when inspecting . Murphy's law is that it is the first thing you see when walking towards the front of the car. :o  Of course AFTER the bulb passes the initial inspection of pits,chips and blueish gray smoke stains it is imperative to check to see that the single filament bulb lights  as well as the both filaments on the inner high beam bulb lights before purchase. There is little use in going to the trouble of testing if the the glass and or the inside appearance is not passable. Always handle carefully because old bulbs can have brittle filaments inside. You will know if the bulb has been jostled too much because when it is lighted up a puff of blueish gray smoke will erupt inside the bulb before going dark.

TLea

Quote from: JD on December 12, 2023, 10:42:37 PM
the workmanship expected is the same for both and that the parts used is the main difference with Division I using "assembly line" parts
I actually allow for a little more "over restoring" on Div 2 ie: more paint coverage on engine, under inner fenders/ upper side of trunk etc.
We also allow BC/CC in Div 2 as long as orange peel? We've all seen original paint metallic single stage. Its pretty yucky. To quote Mike Shally first time he saw my acapulco blue vert single stage, "this is the most accurate paint job I've ever seen, can't believe you had the balls to do it"