News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Starting to lay out new work shop

Started by gt350shelb, December 12, 2023, 08:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350shelb

What size shop are you working in ?  And yes   the biggest possible is the correct answer  . 

I have marked out a 30 x 50  footprint   with a 14  ft height 
gives me enough room for a  couple of  lifts  and work shop with machine shop . store some cars  and have a few in process

Whats everyone  working with? 
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

KR Convertible

32' x 55' x 14'H.  3-10' doors with 5' between them.  Full attic above for parts.  Tire machine and balancer against the pillars between the doors.  Brake lathe against the wall by the lift.

The wife called it the Garage Mahal.  It used to seem huge.  Now, not so much.  It was great until my boys hit their teens, now it's always a mess and I can hardly bring myself to go out there.  Maybe they'll move out someday and I'll get it back.

TA Coupe

Mine is 32x72 with an 18x30 Mancave through a couple of big sliding barn doors that kind of look like they belong at the front of an old castle. Total of 2850sq ft plus a 3 car garage that's part of the house. Here's a link to a walk through I did shortly after it was built and a few pictures.
https://youtu.be/nkmIK3CCTbU?si=7o6JODCW7tL8aDOD
Also a slide show of it being built
https://youtu.be/ahjsE5N8Ty0?si=9DAmJc2FfJ53FXMt

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

pmustang

Mine is 22 x 90

All I would say is that if you want four post lifts you need a deeper shop for the ramps. Those babies are long! or have removable ramps. Walking around four posts at my buddies shop is a chore

I made darn sure my ceiling height at the ends could allow stackable lifts. I have three full height bays in the centre (35 feet)

Car is not a Shelby

crossboss

ftp://
Quote from: 557 on December 13, 2023, 01:04:54 AM
Small 2 car garage... :'(

Me too. I guess we are just peons among these rich guys! LOL
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

I have an 8 x 16 shed that is filled with a motorcycle, a wood lathe, a metal lathe, a table saw, a band saw, a medium size Snap On tool chest on chest with a side cabinet, a 2 by 8 work bench with vice, a freezer, a gas powered pressure washer, an electric pressure washer, a lawn mower, a Ryobi 4 stroke weed eater and attachments, two gas engines, one for a for a Gravely 5260 and the other for a Troy Bilt  rototiller, a bicycle, a unicycle, 3 sets of Shelby rear quarter window inserts, a set of restored rear interior panels for a 1966 Shelby, my ordinal hood for 6S1431, two large crates filled with all the take offs on my car when I redid it in the late 90's  early 2000's, kayak paddles, a 4 drawer file cabinet, set on drive on ramps, three 5 gallon jugs for gas and kerosene and a John Deere LX379 lawn tractor. I also have about a half a dozen plastic storage containers stacked with various tools and supplies and some lumber stuck up in the rafters.
Most of the work I do on the car is on the driveway and the car is stored in a 28 foot car trailer and if I need to do more work I can take to my buddies shop that is 80' by 90' with a lift, gantry and most of the tools you would need.
In my 73 years of life and 52 years of owning my car I have never had a garage.   
If I did have a two car garage or larger with a Man Cave upstairs and a bathroom, i'd probably never go into the house.
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Royce Peterson

Quote from: gt350shelb on December 12, 2023, 08:56:34 PM
What size shop are you working in ?  And yes   the biggest possible is the correct answer  . 

I have marked out a 30 x 50  footprint   with a 14  ft height 
gives me enough room for a  couple of  lifts  and work shop with machine shop . store some cars  and have a few in process

Whats everyone  working with?

My shop is 30' deep and 50' wide. I have a 12' ceiling which is more than adequate. One thing I did with the current shop is put the bead blaster, air compressor and parts washer on the back porch which is 10' by 50 feet. That puts all the dirty operations outside and isolates the shop from the noise and heat of the compressor.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bill

Phil,

You know mine, sadly, we could only get a 10' ceiling with the height restrictions of the lot vs existing home, vs HOA (minor, and not worth arguing about) restrictions/concerns. Can I eventually (not planned right now) squeeze a lift in, for the smaller cars like another Caterham 7 and my FIA, I'm sure I can. Worse comes to worse, and I really want a lift, an "after the fact" boxing of a specific rafter/area in the garage can always be accomplished. Having been in the hobby for 40+ years without one, I'm not that concerned.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

gt350shelb

i have a 40 ft  barn for storage  / 2 stories / but it is wood.  and only 8ft tall on ground level. want to be able to pull c700 cabover inside / and the vintage motorhome  for repairs/ keeping side walls at 14 gives me enough room for the 2 lifts . and keeps it below the site lines of the other buildings.
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

98SVT - was 06GT

My goal. But for now I'm stuck with an overstuffed 2 car. I've got plans to add another 24' to the back of it. Then when the daughter inherits the place she can turn the garage into an ADU for more income.

A new law allows property owners to build and sell ADUs like condos. Accessory dwelling units, also referred to as ADUs and "granny flats," have been available in California only as rentals. But a new law, Assembly Bill 1033, is giving Californians the opportunity to buy and sell them as condominiums.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350shelb

roddster

I have a 22 X 27 foot garage.  Due to the layout, I can fit 3 cars in it during the winter.  I built it in 1978 and at the time was all I could afford.

I do admire the folks who figured out how to put one or two four post lifts side-by-side to store their additional cars.

TA Coupe

Quote from: Bill on December 14, 2023, 09:48:18 AM
Phil,

You know mine, sadly, we could only get a 10' ceiling with the height restrictions of the lot vs existing home, vs HOA (minor, and not worth arguing about) restrictions/concerns. Can I eventually (not planned right now) squeeze a lift in, for the smaller cars like another Caterham 7 and my FIA, I'm sure I can. Worse comes to worse, and I really want a lift, an "after the fact" boxing of a specific rafter/area in the garage can always be accomplished. Having been in the hobby for 40+ years without one, I'm not that concerned.
Bill

If you look at my second picture above and the one below you can see where we built the ceiling area with space for the lift to fit like you are talking about doing.

Roy
Overkill is just enough.

TA Coupe

gt350shelb,  make sure you put in lots of electrical outlets. My original plans only called for about 8 or 10 but my electrician said it would be a good idea to have more because it would only cost a few hundred to add another 20 or so now and that much to add 1 or 2 later so between the Mancave and garage I've got around 30 or so. Also put some up high incase you want to put up neon signs or anything else. Good time to plumb for air. If you are going to have a lift make sure you have power for it.

Roy
Overkill is just enough.