News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Starting to lay out new work shop

Started by gt350shelb, December 12, 2023, 08:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Peterson

Quote from: TA Coupe on December 14, 2023, 05:58:46 PM
gt350shelb,  make sure you put in lots of electrical outlets. My original plans only called for about 8 or 10 but my electrician said it would be a good idea to have more because it would only cost a few hundred to add another 20 or so now and that much to add 1 or 2 later so between the Mancave and garage I've got around 30 or so. Also put some up high incase you want to put up neon signs or anything else. Good time to plumb for air. If you are going to have a lift make sure you have power for it.

Roy

This is great advice and I need to add something to it. Originally my shop was wired for 220 volts at each AC hole so that
I could run two combination AC / Heat units. One of them went out at 14 months - with a 12 month warranty. The new unit  needed 250 Volts - so I had to have an electrician come and add another breaker and outlet.

In any case it makes sense to wire all the extra power you need once, before all the sheet rock and insulation makes it quadruple the price.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

I think you need to limit the size so you don't take on more work then you can finish.

At some point it becomes like taking on too many rescue dogs and cats, then you wind up on the news as a crazy old geezer being raided for animal cruelty?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 14, 2023, 07:05:03 PM
I think you need to limit the size so you don't take on more work then you can finish.

At some point it becomes like taking on too many rescue dogs and cats, then you wind up on the news as a crazy old geezer being raided for animal cruelty?

hahaha   too late .

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

gt350shelb

Quote from: TA Coupe on December 14, 2023, 05:58:46 PM
gt350shelb,  make sure you put in lots of electrical outlets. My original plans only called for about 8 or 10 but my electrician said it would be a good idea to have more because it would only cost a few hundred to add another 20 or so now and that much to add 1 or 2 later so between the Mancave and garage I've got around 30 or so. Also put some up high incase you want to put up neon signs or anything else. Good time to plumb for air. If you are going to have a lift make sure you have power for it.

Roy

yes there will be plenty of electric needed / 2 lifts / big compressor / cuda parts washer / bridgeport mill/ lathe / blast cabinet /smaller parts washer/tig and mig welders / full wood shop / drill press/coke machines :)
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Side-Oilers

^^^ I may want to come and hang out for a while, in that badazz shop.  How much do you charge for a Coke?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

TA Coupe

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 14, 2023, 07:05:03 PM

Doug, I hear you and I'm an old Geezer and way past the points you bring up. Got 14 cars and need to get rid of at least 4 or 5. We have 9 cats of our own and they have all had their pictures on TV. Foster kittens also and are down to 1 left from the 6 in the picture. I'm also known as the Brentwood Cat Man ( pic of me on a banner at the Ice Rink downtown) Also feed 20 feral cats around town every night and about 30 every other night one town over. I think I'm beyond redemption.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

mikeh

My 40 x 60. I was restricted to a 10' ceiling (to keep overall height below local requirements with roof pitch). I had the trusses built with a 12' tall area for my lift, plus a storage area in the attic.  Heated & cooled, so lots of insulation for that ever changing midwest weather! I also put in a bathroom, and a 20 x 20 closed off work shop where I can paint, grind, plus parts storage, compressor, slop sink etc etc  Was 3 years in the making so had lots of opportunity to try to get it right this time!!

TA Coupe

Mikeh, looks like we think a lot alike. Except my separate area is an 18x30 Mancave with a bathroom with shower. Had my trusses made custom also for the same reason as you.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.