News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

INVESTING

Started by tesgt350, December 14, 2023, 08:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesgt350

What do you invest your Money in?  Stocks, Bonds, Property, Cars, Business Ventures?  I will be retiring in a few Years.  I watch Shark Tank Weekly and have an Investing question............ If I invest $450,000 in a cool Start Up Business that I like and am sure will do good and will receive 50% of the Profits until I get back $650,000 with out doing anything ........ ONE: is that a good Return?  TWO: is 5 Years a decent amount time for that Return?

TOBKOB

Another possibility is zero...You have to take in consideration if you can afford to lose $450,000. Hopefully you will make big $$$, but you never know what is around the corner.  :)

Good luck
TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bill

Quote from: tesgt350 on December 14, 2023, 08:54:00 AM
What do you invest your Money in?  Stocks, Bonds, Property, Cars, Business Ventures?  I will be retiring in a few Years.  I watch Shark Tank Weekly and have an Investing question............ If I invest $450,000 in a cool Start Up Business that I like and am sure will do good and will receive 50% of the Profits until I get back $650,000 with out doing anything ........ ONE: is that a good Return?  TWO: is 5 Years a decent amount time for that Return?

A 5 year ROI with a roughly 40% profit vs investment is fantastic.
Return wise, yes, but the real question is, what do you get after the 650K ROI? Residuals are the long term goal in any investment opportunity
Investment wise, are you looking for long term growth for your family, or income to live off? Without getting into too much detail, when we retired (prematurely for me, right on time for my better half) a little over a year ago, after 30+ years of self managing our portfolio, we decided to allow a trusted money management team to take over. Some minor changes were done, and part of our portfolio was changed from growth, to income generation. Couple that with some long term REIT style investments, which are only now coming back from pre-covid profitability, we should be fine. Currently, however, we are rolling over everything, at least till we see the tax consequences for a full year of actual retirement (2023), at that time, we will adjust as needed.
Do you have a trusted advisory team, or are you currently self managed like we were?

Quote from: TOBKOB on December 14, 2023, 09:17:24 AM
Another possibility is zero...You have to take in consideration if you can afford to lose $450,000. Hopefully you will make big $$$, but you never know what is around the corner.  :)

Good luck
TOB

THIS!!!!!!

I've both invested in, and started my own businesses in the past, some have been very successful, others I eventually closed, after years of 80+ hour weeks with little to no return on my money. Always self financed so as to not disappoint a potential investor, other than my wife and I. While fortune favors the bold, if you cannot afford to lose your investment, then don't do it.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

tesgt350

Quote from: Bill on December 14, 2023, 09:40:46 AM
Quote from: tesgt350 on December 14, 2023, 08:54:00 AM

A 5 year ROI with a roughly 40% profit vs investment is fantastic.
Return wise, yes, but the real question is, what do you get after the 650K ROI? Residuals are the long term goal in any investment opportunity
Investment wise, are you looking for long term growth for your family, or income to live off? Without getting into too much detail, when we retired (prematurely for me, right on time for my better half) a little over a year ago, after 30+ years of self managing our portfolio, we decided to allow a trusted money management team to take over. Some minor changes were done, and part of our portfolio was changed from growth, to income generation. Couple that with some long term REIT style investments, which are only now coming back from pre-covid profitability, we should be fine. Currently, however, we are rolling over everything, at least till we see the tax consequences for a full year of actual retirement (2023), at that time, we will adjust as needed.
Do you have a trusted advisory team, or are you currently self managed like we were?

Quote from: TOBKOB on December 14, 2023, 09:17:24 AM

Good luck
TOB

THIS!!!!!!

I've both invested in, and started my own businesses in the past, some have been very successful, others I eventually closed, after years of 80+ hour weeks with little to no return on my money. Always self financed so as to not disappoint a potential investor, other than my wife and I. While fortune favors the bold, if you cannot afford to lose your investment, then don't do it.

Bill

The deal is, after the ROI of $650K is met, it's done, it's over, you're out.  The ROI could only take 3 Years to reach if all goes well, maybe less.  If everything collapses, the Investor should at least get their initial Investment back.

rhjanes

Can you afford to lose $450,000?  Personally, I can't.  We are already retired.  Start ups are very high risk.  The one's on Shark Tank are there because they are looking for backing.  I don't know your age or your risk tolerance either.  If you are still under 35, perhaps already have $2,000,000 in retirement investments.  But that would still mean you have 25 percent of your portfolio in a single high risk venture.  If you have 3 or 4 million, then perhaps you would be OK.  You also have to consider how long you have working to recover the loss of the $450,000, in case it all goes bad.  The Sharks on TV, remember that is reality TV.  All those "Sharks" are multi-millionaires and can risk their money.  Except even then they are risking others and doing some other things to mitigate their risk.  They are also paying a team of financial planners and accountants to spread out losses and write them off. 

I have a car friend who decided to put some money in the CDB area.  He lost it all.  That was supposed to be the "next" thing and for him it was a get-rich-quick that resulted in losses. 

Our family got a Financial Planner some 30 years ago.  We live(d) well within our means.  Even in our 30's, our Risk Tolerance was Medium to slightly Risky.  I was able to fully retire at 58.  Spouse can retire anytime she wishes but she still enjoys her job.  We have "the trifecta".  A Financially Planner that we deal with multiple times a year.  An Attorney for our family Trust.  And a CPA for our taxes.  All three are available for advice at any time. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Coralsnake

I say go for it and let us know how it goes!
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

GT350AUS

Life itself is a risk..you can't take anything with you....so just enjoy the ride and leave the investing to those who don't value life as it is in the moment.....