News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

289 flywheel C3OE - advertised as HiPo 289

Started by 6s1640, December 14, 2023, 06:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

Don't be fooled.  This looks like a LoPo 289 flywheel.  Same casting number, but balanced as a LoPo at 28.2 oz imbalance.  Seller is claiming because it came with other HiPo 289 parts makes it also HiPo.  There is no  Brinell hardness test mark, typical of all HiPo flywheels.  Current bid is too high for LoPo.  What am I missing?

See attached for  an example of a Brinell hardness mark.

Take care

Cory

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116000602092?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=pPzsVCkGTzO&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=7pgLIbMwT-6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=MORE

427heaven

The large counterweighted section tells the story!

6s1640

Hi 427heaven,

I am confuse by your comment.  The counter weight section's are identical between HiPo and LoPo.  So what you are saying makes no sense .  The two imbalances 30.4 and 28.2 are achieved by machining, not casting.  Help me understand what you are trying to say.

Cory

427heaven

Restorers are looking for that part number on there Hipo rebuild/ restoration project. It has the large counterweighted area which many do not have it will have the Orange paint stripe thru the part number or a dark stain from the remnant of the paint from 60 years ago. It will also have the Brinell test mark on it but many at this point dont really care about that specific item. They want the part number , this shows because of the bidding going on with that part.

s2ms

The issue, as Cory mentioned, is the C3OE-6380-B flywheel was used on all 289's at that time, it is not HiPo specific. The only difference on the HiPo flywheel is the Brinnel hardness mark, imbalance, and orange paint daub (if it survived). Everything else is identical, including the large counterweight.
Dave - 6S1757

6s1640

Hi 427heaven,

I agree the current higher than usual bids for a LoPo 289 flywheel could be based on your analysis, the casting part number.  But that logic does not justify incorrectly advertising the flywheel.  The seller is misrepresenting the part.

Cory