News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1969 BOSS 302 GT 350 Prototype

Started by stephen_becker, December 15, 2023, 11:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

It's an interesting unique car. Most don't find comfort in investing in this much uniqueness.

It has similarities to the '67 Shelby convertible in that the debate is in how was it "intended" to be bodied.

I think that it takes time to build the value. It gets built by building interest.

It may not bring 350 today but no one knows for sure about tomorrow. That really is what speculative "investment" is?

Just like some say about disappointing auction results, i.e., "the right buyer wasn't in the house". That probably applies now.

Years ago I had a real shot at one of the dual Paxton Cobras. I didn't want it. It was to "unique" (weird). Hindsight is always 20/20.

In any case, as an uninvolved observer, I have found this discussion interesting and entertaining. I appreciate all the efforts of all the posters. Fortunately I don't have to agree or disagree with anyone.  :)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JohnSlack on December 17, 2023, 02:51:16 PM
I think that the end statement that is the one that will resonate loudest is that on December 17,2023 with four days left in the auction there are still zero bids. The starting point is $350,000.00.

So not a lot of people willing at this point to jump into the pool.

The car is a really interesting, cool looking, conversation piece. It has had a lot of high end atta-boys but is still not generating the fiscal interest in the deep end of the pool.

As a car I like it, at that price point, I don't.

John
For a high profile car like this a ebay auction many times is more about a advertising exercise in letting people know the car is out there and can be bought along with the price range it can be bought for from the seller later. Some cars sell in the auction and others sell later in private sales to people who followed the auction . Some high end buyers do not want others to know what they paid. It will be interesting to see which way this one goes.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

I think that the end statement that is the one that will resonate loudest is that on December 17,2023 with four days left in the auction there are still zero bids. The starting point is $350,000.00.

The car is a really interesting, cool looking, conversation piece. It has had a lot of high end atta-boys but is still not generating the fiscal interest in the deep end of the pool.

John
another thing people like to consider is how much of the original car is left? I saw it with original quarters done and appeared to have bodywork done as in bondo flairs at the top of the quarters. I grew up a few miles from Dearborn and have owned a lot of Mich Mustangs and in a few short years these cars were rusting out. I have owned my share of rusty Mi Mustangs to where we broke a rusty shock tower on a 69 in 1978 doing donuts and hitting the curb with the pass wheel breaking the DS shock tower(I wasn't driving nor was it my car). 1980 I owned a 44Kmile  one owner 70 with a rusted floor to the point the DS seat rocked a little. So this car being in my neck of the woods being swiss cheese when dipped decades later wouldn't surprise me. The original engine was out there but not in the car nor owned by the second owner in 1984. So how did the original engine find its way back into the car(did it?). So you have a unique 1 of 1 car but how much of the original car is there? I'm sure some buyers would be considering that also but others not? Time will tell.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

JohnSlack

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on December 17, 2023, 03:56:26 PM

John
another thing people like to consider is how much of the original car is left? I saw it with original quarters done and appeared to have bodywork done as in bondo flairs at the top of the quarters. I grew up a few miles from Dearborn and have owned a lot of Mich Mustangs and in a few short years these cars were rusting out. I have owned my share of rusty Mi Mustangs to where we broke a rusty shock tower on a 69 in 1978 doing donuts and hitting the curb with the pass wheel breaking the DS shock tower(I wasn't driving nor was it my car). 1980 I owned a 44Kmile  one owner 70 with a rusted floor to the point the DS seat rocked a little. So this car being in my neck of the woods being swiss cheese when dipped decades later wouldn't surprise me. The original engine was out there but not in the car nor owned by the second owner in 1984. So how did the original engine find its way back into the car(did it?). So you have a unique 1 of 1 car but how much of the original car is there? I'm sure some buyers would be considering that also but others not? Time will tell.

I have been reading through this post without comment. I have quite a few of these same thoughts, not because I grew up surrounded by rust and cars that live on salted roads. However I have had relatives that had pick up trucks that were Swiss Cheese. I've been enjoying the banter back and forth on this particular car. It's been entertaining.

crossboss

Is '482244' in the Shelby registry?
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Bob Gaines

Quote from: crossboss on December 17, 2023, 06:36:11 PM
Page 459 of current registry. It says the vin is a mystery.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

crossboss

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 17, 2023, 06:58:29 PM
Quote from: crossboss on December 17, 2023, 06:36:11 PM
Page 459 of current registry. It says the vin is a mystery.

Thanks. Thats all folks, its a Shelby. End of topic...
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

427hunter

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on December 17, 2023, 03:56:26 PM

John

Straw man arguments and talking in circles, now your casting aspersion. If credibility matters to you give it a rest.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Bill

Quote from: crossboss on December 17, 2023, 07:32:54 PM

Yet, it appears, the build sheet posted publically by the seller himself, tells a different tale.
Can you really dispute the build sheet, seems the intent was to not actually build it as a Shelby, and Ford made it perfectly clear at that point.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

crossboss

Quote from: Bill on December 17, 2023, 09:09:20 PM

Yet, it appears, the build sheet posted publically by the seller himself, tells a different tale.
Can you really dispute the build sheet, seems the intent was to not actually build it as a Shelby, and Ford made it perfectly clear at that point.

Build sheets have been known to be incorrect. Yet, the VIN is THE absolute last say on this.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Bill

Quote from: crossboss on December 17, 2023, 09:14:40 PM

Build sheets have been known to be incorrect. Yet, the VIN is THE absolute last say on this.

Do you have a clear understanding on how the build sheets work within the Ford manufacturing line and internal ordering and billing system? If you did, then you would see why your statement here, on this thread, is incorrect. Of course, if your intent is just to play devils advocate to get a rise out of some, I believe that presumed assumption has failed as well. At least in my case.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

crossboss

Quote from: Bill on December 17, 2023, 09:45:52 PM
Quote from: crossboss on December 17, 2023, 09:14:40 PM

Do you have a clear understanding on how the build sheets work within the Ford manufacturing line and internal ordering and billing system? If you did, then you would see why your statement here, on this thread, is incorrect. Of course, if your intent is just to play devils advocate to get a rise out of some, I believe that presumed assumption has failed as well. At least in my case.

No, your pointing fingers at others of what you are guilty of. On a good note, I hope the owner of the car in question gets BIG money for it. Bye.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

427hunter

Seagull SAAC Forum - people just fly in S#it all over someone else's car and then fly away, no facts but lots of opinions.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

crossboss

Quote from: 427hunter on December 18, 2023, 12:15:59 AM
Seagull SAAC Forum - people just fly in S#it all over someone else's car and then fly away, no facts but lots of opinions.

Yep. Just like you and I talked about at the show on Saturday.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Coralsnake

Here are some facts for you that like facts:

The car is being represented as a "Shelby GT350"

The car was not built as a Shelby until more than 25 years after Ford assembled it as a Boss 302

The car does have a "G48" serial number

The owner posted factory paperwork that very specifically says "Not a Shelby"

The owner posted vintage pictures of the car in the Boss 302 trim, without the correct quarters or tail lights for a Shelby

1969 Shelbys were not built at Kar Kraft as the owner previously stated.

So, whats the argument about?

Oh, maybe its that there is no adult supervision on the forum?  I think its just been proven again.

Agreed Bill, I see a couple of guys that want to keep the contention going...as they often say, when you resort to name calling, you have lost the argument.

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com