News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

'67 Nightmist over Parchment

Started by 2112, July 26, 2018, 09:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350cs

I don't know why LMC does not provide the VIN numbers. Educated buyers would definitely want to know that information.

Out of respect for LMC, I do not post the VIN, even if I can determine the number. If others choose to post such information, that is up to them.

Bob is very right that the smog cars went to whoever needed the particular options available. Also many non-smog cars were sold in California I believe.

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on July 27, 2018, 12:40:52 PM
I wonder why LMC never gives the car # of their Shelby Mustangs.

Might stimulate even more discussion of the cars which would be good for them. Or get someone to call and at least inquire about the car by other means. Just a couple of possibilities.

As a side response not aware of any documentation of a non-Thermactor car being sold in CA as a new car.  Not sure of any dealership that would have wanted to risk that - even though the fines are much less than today
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350cs

Jeff,

Though most cars delivered to California dealers were smog cars, I do know that some recorded as being delivered did not indicate the proper Model type. I am not sure of the disposition of the cars but records indicate a number of VIN that are not smog going to several California dealers. I think I came up with the number approaching a dozen or so.

I car only assume that these cars were sold in California.

Perhaps someone has more information.

Dennis

Special Ed

How would a non-smog car pass inspection when new in california. Didnt they have those smog inspection shops in california back in the late 60s?

Quote from: Special Ed on July 29, 2018, 09:00:29 AM
How would a non-smog car pass inspection when new in california. Didnt they have those smog inspection shops in california back in the late 60s?
. Until the mid 80s a smog check in Cali.merely comprised "sniffing"the exhaust output..If it was clean you passed...Then they began an under hood inspection of all relevant smog components...If anything was missing you failed...Guess how I know....

Steve Z

I had read in the registry that this car was on Ebay at one time and was listed as a Basket Case. Does anyone have knowledge of what that was all about? Thanks

Richstang

Quote from: gt350cs on July 27, 2018, 02:32:56 PM
I don't know why LMC does not provide the VIN numbers. Educated buyers would definitely want to know that information.

Out of respect for LMC, I do not post the VIN, even if I can determine the number. If others choose to post such information, that is up to them.

Bob is very right that the smog cars went to whoever needed the particular options available. Also many non-smog cars were sold in California I believe.

I recall a discussion on LMC in the past relating to why they don't list the Shelby VIN number in their ads. I think we concluded it was a marketing / sales ploy to entice potential buyer to call them and discuss the cars in person. I suppose if the car advertised doesn't fit the buyers needs they could pitch another car or look for something that is a better fit. Nothing devious, just an attempt to build on their client base.
I would think it would subject them to many wasted time emails & calls from enthusiasts just trying to find out which car it is. 
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

BGlover67

Quote from: Richstang on August 01, 2018, 11:06:08 AM
Quote from: gt350cs on July 27, 2018, 02:32:56 PM

I recall a discussion on LMC in the past relating to why they don't list the Shelby VIN number in their ads. I think we concluded it was a marketing / sales ploy to entice potential buyer to call them and discuss the cars in person. I suppose if the car advertised doesn't fit the buyers needs they could pitch another car or look for something that is a better fit. Nothing devious, just an attempt to build on their client base.
I would think it would subject them to many wasted time emails & calls from enthusiasts just trying to find out which car it is.
Rich,

When you're a salesman, any interest in your product would be not be considered a waste of time I suppose.  Like you said, there is always the chance to flip a potential customer from one car to another.  It's actually pretty smart on their part, just annoying for us.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

67_1183

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

gt350cs

So is the VIN stamped wrong or is the interior listed wrong? I have #624 VIN as 67402F2U00624 in my records, which would agree with what looks like the proper interior.

Does anyone have more information on this?

Thanks,

Dennis

According to the registrar, the VIN plate was indeed stamped incorrectly. Records show the car to be Parchment inside.

capecodmustang.com

VIN's Not Advertised....

For years and years I never advertised the VIN for cars I was selling.
There's a couple reasons

First, I'd receive many inquires via email asking for the VIN from buyers all over the country.
However, most of these "buyers" just wanted to look it up in the registry.
I always figured if you're really interested in purchasing you would just call and discuss the car.

Second, many of the vehicles I've had were projects and in need of restoration.  Some are worse than others.
Many new owners didn't want the VIN and photos of their car on the internet.
I became somewhat sympathetic to that argument.

It's like photos of your wife before your were married floating around...(if you know what I mean)

I've never refused to give a VIN of a car I've owned.
You just might have to call and ask for it.

Just my .02

Bret

Richstang

Quote from: gt350cs on August 01, 2018, 01:48:57 PM
So is the VIN stamped wrong or is the interior listed wrong? I have #624 VIN as 67402F2U00624 in my records, which would agree with what looks like the proper interior.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis you're one step ahead of me. I was about to thank Jeff "67_1183" for posting the photos and link when I noticed that "A" trim too!
The DSO 84-2538 is listed having cars with parchment "U" trim, but that "A" in the VIN raised the question.

Curiously there are 4 other cars in this "parchment interior "U" DSO noted with Black "A" trim?
67402F5A00504
67402F8A00608
67402F8A00617
67402F8A00621

Does anyone know if Dave M. or the previous registrar addressed those as possible VIN stamp errors too?

Edit 2019-2-1. All 4 VINs above were in fact Parchment "U" trim per Dave

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

shelbydoug

Lots of VIN errors on the 67 Shelbys.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on August 01, 2018, 03:53:45 PM
Quote from: gt350cs on August 01, 2018, 01:48:57 PM

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis you're one step ahead of me. I was about to thank Jeff "67_1183" for posting the photos and link when I noticed that "A" trim too!
The DSO 84-2538 is listed having cars with parchment "U" trim, but that "A" in the VIN raised the question.

Curiously there are 4 other cars in this "parchment interior "U" DSO noted with Black "A" trim?
67402F5A00504
67402F8A00608
67402F8A00617
67402F8A00621

Does anyone know if Dave M. or the previous registrar addressed those as possible VIN stamp errors too?
I suppose for the most accurate info it would be best to ask Dave M directly . He responds when emailed. FYI he has been registrar for many decades now. I don't even know if there was a previous registrar.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby