News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Upper & Lower grilles & lanyards - fasteners and positions

Started by goranfor, September 22, 2018, 08:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goranfor

Currently restoring 67 GT350 #2078 in Sweden and like to have some help on fasteners / position for the upper and lower grilles as well as
fasteners and position for the lanyards on the radiator support extensions.

I do have the old ones but I suspect they are not the originals since the car have been in several accidents through the years.

Would appreciate your expertise on these matters.

JD

Hello Goran, see the attached image for lanyard attaching locations. Rivets are used to attach them.  I would think that your car would be like the center of the 3 examples below.

Does #2078 have the high-beam lights in the grille located in the center or at the outside ends?

Does the upper vertical grille section have two tabs towards the back like in the center image posted below?  If so the tabs are held to the car with large black rivets available from AMK or other parts suppliers.  Are there corresponding holes in the nose piece?

The upper tabs are held with fasteners to the hood latch support bracket. See second image.

The lower grill section (you do have a lower grille section correct - if not you can buy one all the cars got one but many are missing) is riveted to the back lip of the nose/license plate support brace with the same large rivets as the lower tabs of the upper grille section.  (The bottom edge of the lower grille should have a rubber protective strip, these are available click on the second link at the bottom of this post)

Edit, Added images of rivets;
red arrows  - upper grille, lower tab rivets
yellow arrow - top of lower grille section rivet(s) to rear vertical lip of nose/license plate support
green arrows - lower fiberglass nose extension tabs were riveted to the top surface of the bottom lateral support on most cars (these are not on most early cars - look for evidence of holes in the support and the nose piece)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

goranfor

THANKS for the really good information.

#2078 have the center headlights and a lower grille and 2 lower tabs on the upper grille.

There are holes in the support that conforms to the tabs

The original lanyards were attached like the third picture, not to the grille - but with standard screws

I do have the AMK kit for the grilles but just wanted to make sure it is the correct stuff.

All your info coincides with my own thinking about the matter - thanks again!

www.set-special-engineering-team.com
Göran