News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Mecum Kissimmee 2024 - 1962-1970 Shelby American products

Started by silverton_ford, December 18, 2023, 12:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcampbell

Solenoid was the correct black - it has been swapped out. Here's a couple other items swapped out or gone missing as well...spare tire cover, original bungee cord and NOS positive terminal protecting cap ( I sure hope that trunk lever doesn't touch or it could get crispy...

camp upshur

For all of the coverage of this car, no mention of the original engine.
Interesting vocabulary utilized by the auction house: a 'prerequisite' 289 (?).
Any pics of the block casting date, engine assembly, or engine machining dates?

12 May 1965 SAI arrival Mustangs (which this car is) are easily cross indexed for validity.
Can a car attain 'SAAC Gold' or 'MCA Concours Gold' without its original engine?

Shawn

S202.1 – 1967 GT350 67200F5A01675 - https://www.mecum.com/lots/1100892/1967-shelby-gt350-fastback/?aa_id=495758-0

In the documentation the Ford and Shelby vins are shown on the Marti Report.  Should Mecum remove this?

Shawn

Anyone have history on   S202.1 – 1967 GT350 67200F5A01675 ??

CharlesTurner

Quote from: camp upshur on January 02, 2024, 11:32:17 AM

12 May 1965 SAI arrival Mustangs (which this car is) are easily cross indexed for validity.
Can a car attain 'SAAC Gold' or 'MCA Concours Gold' without its original engine?

Normally, unless the auction description specifically states 'numbers matching', it should be assumed that it's not.

Yes, a car can attain Gold in SAAC or MCA concours without an original VIN stamped block.  If the block was different, say a 302 installed in a '65, then that would be a major deduction... although at least with SAAC, we wouldn't allow a car with such a modification to be entered into concours.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: camp upshur on January 02, 2024, 11:32:17 AM

It depends on the class at a SAAC  concours. In DIV I a appropriate vin stamp would typically be mandatory the same as dated coded Carlite trademarked glass, sheet metal, fuel pump etc.  In Div II however date codes and trademarks are not typically mandatory and good reproduction parts are acceptable. As Charles mentioned in this case any signs of a non vintage 289 block and or hipo heads are points deducted and would be encouraged to be instead in a modified class which in the case of SAAC is popular vote . Typically rather then diminish a entrants enthusiasm by taking a modified car out of a class the judges will offer one on one time to go over the car. At least for Shelby's at SAAC and MCA venues when I have been involved or observed that touchy situation.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JWH

I have the Mecum auction on in the background today. Would someone provide the background on the "Northwest Shelby Collection?" Here is a write-up and link to the cars being sold, but no mention of the owners or why they are selling:
https://www.mecum.com/articles/northwest-shelby-collection/

Unrelated, I saw a car (not a Shelby) being auctioned from the "FUX Collection." (Not sure how that got past the censor)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JWH on January 10, 2024, 06:31:18 PM
I have the Mecum auction on in the background today. Would someone provide the background on the "Northwest Shelby Collection?" Here is a write-up and link to the cars being sold, but no mention of the owners or why they are selling:
https://www.mecum.com/articles/northwest-shelby-collection/

Unrelated, I saw a car (not a Shelby) being auctioned from the "FUX Collection." (Not sure how that got past the censor)
When I looked at the pictures of the vintage Shelby's from the "Northwest Shelby" collection I see some beautiful looking cars . It is apparent that they all are meant for the most part to look like factory original . Although beautiful cars the ironic thing is that with my factory original concours judges cap on I see a number of "Shelby 101" type mistakes in every picture . It makes me wonder how many other things would be seen out of the ordinary in other pictures of the cars.  It just goes to show you that if you are concerned about things like original look that you better know what to look for or have someone that does look a potiential purchase car over before you bid. At least if you don't want any surprises after the fact.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mikelj5S230

The '65 GT350 went for good money at Mecum just now, I think it was S262?
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: MikeljGT500HE on January 12, 2024, 03:37:36 PM
The '65 GT350 went for good money at Mecum just now, I think it was S262?

Yes, $500k hammer, guess a 10% gratuity? - $550k
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

camp upshur

Which begs the question:

I wonder what a complete car is worth?

Mikelj5S230

So you don't buy the description? 

"Factory demonstrator when new
Rare trunk-mounted battery complete with "Cobra" vented battery caps
Documented with copies of the dealer invoice, dealer order form, shipping documents and owner's manual
Nut and bolt rotisserie restored
SAAC-42 Gold award winner
MCA Concours Gold award winner
Amelia Island Concours class winner
Greenbrier Concours d'Elegance award winner
Shipped new to Gene Harmon Ford in Texas City, Texas"

The SAAC and MCA judges missed something?
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

jk66gt350

sfm5

Quote from: camp upshur on January 12, 2024, 05:47:37 PM

Which begs the question:

I wonder what a complete car is worth?

We'll get another view of the '65 GT350 market when 5s555 crosses the block at BJ. Not sure that is a "complete" car though.
65 GT350

CharlesTurner

Quote from: MikeljGT500HE on January 12, 2024, 06:45:19 PM
So you don't buy the description? 

The SAAC and MCA judges missed something?

Previous comments on this topic note some items changed/removed since the car was judged at MCA/SAAC.  Probably more of the norm than exception, unfortunately.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge