News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Arizona 2024 Auctions - Barrett Jackson, RM, Bonhams - SHELBY 1962-1970 cars

Started by silverton_ford, December 18, 2023, 12:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx289

I owned 68 #1219 for a bit. Incredibly original car. It was 100% original paint when I owned it. Yes it had a period car alarm that was functional. Great party trick to turn it on and have somebody open the door and trigger the functional siren. When I had the car the original shocks were in a box as was every removed original part including fan belts etc. The chassis is, in my opinion, one of the best original ones of any 68 in existence. Certainly a reference example for finishes and plating. It was an extremely well preserved car. Drove like new. Even the A/C blew cold. The fellow I sold it to (well, actually traded it to for a 1k mile 1971 GMC truck and some $) did a bunch of detailing, not all of it appropriate as has been noted here. He also had the front end fiberglass repainted (not the hood) because he didn't like some small cracks in the nose. That was a mistake but I couldn't talk him out of it. I also think he had the body line on the doors blended because of some door dings and chips. I also wouldn't have done that as, again, it was absolutely 100% original paint and imo quite stunning. So while it is easy to gather an opinion via pics and a TV broadcast I can definitively state that 1219 was one of the best quality Shelbys at B-J by a country mile. And I'll leave it at that!

Oh, FWIW, the underbidder on 1219 was Peter Klutt. He inspected it and also thought it was a spectacular survivor. He bid to 163k (hammer) as I recall. 

Just a little Paul Harvey/ "the rest of the story" insight from a previous owner with reasonably knowledgable firsthand experience of this particular car.

Bob Gaines

It is always a shame when I see that someone with good intentions but faulty historical detail knowledge gets a hold of a car good car to try and make it better as apparently is the case with the 68 GT350 being discussed. In this case they failed in a number of respects IMO. At least under the hood in a number of areas. That is based on the mistakes seen and testimony that it was all original before. I have got to give praise for the expertly done positive spin on the previous owner added aftermarket vintage alarm system as a "party trick" when showing off that it works. Well played.;)  Otherwise something like that which is extremely hard to reverse and make the car whole given holes drilled for added alarm switches etc. is seen as a negative and not a plus. That alarm may be something that some see as cool but for me it does just the opposite and detracts from original aspects. Those alarms weren't typically effective back in the day and other then being something a previous owner installed does not typically have anything to do with the history of the car. As I said before a very nice car over all.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Wedgeman

Bob Gaines,, funny you should mention that alarm. When I bought 68 GT500 #817 in 1971, it had the exact same alarm on it. I drove the car to Junior College daily, set the alarm, and went to class.  Came out one day and my passenger side wing window was open, and the 8 track player attached to the side of the console was gone...In frustration I kicked the side of the car.... and....THE ALARM GOES OFF!
I drove home... immediately removed the alarm.....tossed it in the trash. Guess it was in the end..." NOT TYPICALLY EFFECTIVE"... >:(

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Wedgeman on February 01, 2024, 01:53:46 PM
Bob Gaines,, funny you should mention that alarm. When I bought 68 GT500 #817 in 1971, it had the exact same alarm on it. I drove the car to Junior College daily, set the alarm, and went to class.  Came out one day and my passenger side wing window was open, and the 8 track player attached to the side of the console was gone...In frustration I kicked the side of the car.... and....THE ALARM GOES OFF!
I drove home... immediately removed the alarm.....tossed it in the trash. Guess it was in the end..." NOT TYPICALLY EFFECTIVE"... >:(
Sorry to hear about that but I and others have had a similar first hand experiences back in the day which is why I felt I could give that opinion .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

I am sure my bad car alarm experience is at least partially responsible for my dislike for them left on classic cars.

Mikelj5S230

I had one on the first Shelby I owned, a '68 GT350. What a PITA that was, even removing it caused major electrical issues.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Wedgeman on February 01, 2024, 01:53:46 PM
Is that a Shelby shirt you were wearing in the pic?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Wedgeman

Shelbyman 1970...yes that is an original  Shelby T Shirt..even has the Shelby American  tag in it.... 8)t

Mikelj5S230

Quote from: Shane on February 03, 2024, 05:34:07 PM
Not a Shelby but of possible interest, this 65 k-code convertible sold at B-J for $165k.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1965-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-K-CODE-CONVERTIBLE-271076

5F08K337291

Nice modified Mustang. Not exactly original, you do wonder if modifieds are more popular and expensive than originals these days.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: MikeljGT500HE on February 03, 2024, 06:41:16 PM
Quote from: Shane on February 03, 2024, 05:34:07 PM
Not a Shelby but of possible interest, this 65 k-code convertible sold at B-J for $165k.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1965-FORD-MUSTANG-GT-K-CODE-CONVERTIBLE-271076

5F08K337291

Nice modified Mustang. Not exactly original, you do wonder if modifieds are more popular and expensive than originals these days.
Mike, look what you sold your 67 tanker for and look what Jeff Hayes got for his his restod mod 67(double). I guess the question is when and if these trend fall out of favor how much do those restomods drop? I am still shaking my head every time an "Eleanor" crosses the block for more than real 67 Shelbys.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Mikelj5S230

True shelbymann, the market is still there for the new restomods.  The Eleanors are also still popular. Depreciation is harder to track on them, but it must be there.

Hipo-Fred

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on February 04, 2024, 04:46:54 AM
5F08K337291
[/quote]Mike, look what you sold your 67 tanker for and look what Jeff Hayes got for his his restod mod 67(double). I guess the question is when and if these trend fall out of favor how much do those restomods drop? I am still shaking my head every time an "Eleanor" crosses the block for more than real 67 Shelbys.
[/quote]

Yeah, definitely a head scratcher. 

Fred
  :o

csx289

Bob Gaines, re my "positive spin" on 1291,  as others have pointed out before, its unfortunate that you seem to have an issue with many fellow enthusiasts and SAAC members who post here only to be met with vitriol from you. It's the main reason why I, while somebody who clearly doesn't approach your level of expertise and experience, don't post here- and I know others who do the same. Again, unfortunate because there is a vast level of real world experience and insight that could be gained and blended with yours and other similar pillars of the Shelby community's knowledge to make us all more knowledgeable about the intricacies of the Shelby cars we love. It would also make for a more vibrant online community/ forum.

Case in point, as a former owner of 1219, somebody with firsthand knowledge of the car from when it left the original owner's care and what transpired with it up to the B-J sale (vs just seeing pics on a website) I felt chiming in on this thread was important. After all these auction threads are to review and discuss sale prices and determine the market for cars of varying quality. Yes, I thought the alarm the original owner put on 1219 was cool, I appreciated it still worked, and my family had fun "punking" people with it at car shows etc. I had and still have no dog in that hunt today. Ideally, yes, the car would have zero modifications but that was an acceptable "Day 2" one to me and I loved how spectacular that car was in so many other areas so I took it as a whole.

I do look at a ton of Shelbys in person at auctions, actually most of them, and see a lot of cars that aren't what they claim to be. For example in 2021 I inspected a '65 GT350 that was being sold at a Gooding auction that had a really "positive spin" on its history, owned by notable Shelby people, Div 2 winner etc. When I saw the car it was detailed very well but clearly had some significant issues with the legitimacy and origins of its body shell. That was one car I did not see discussed here, among others, and I was really curious as to your and other peoples take on it.

Now as for the other stuff like the $350k "Eleanors" and whatnot I certainly do not get the prices on those! Or the announced rebodies at B-J. Or even the unannounced ones ;) I did try to buy an excptionally nice '65 A Code Mustang convertible (B-J Lot 439) that was mostly original paint and was super minty underneath. It was owned by Jason Billups and clearly he knows a good Mustang. It sold for a touch over $50k and in hindsight / by comparison that was probably one of the better Mustang buys at that auction.

Ok....back to lurking. Lol

My best to all-

Colin Comer

Bob Gaines

Quote from: csx289 on February 05, 2024, 10:42:42 AM
Bob Gaines, re my "positive spin" on 1291,  as others have pointed out before, its unfortunate that you seem to have an issue with many fellow enthusiasts and SAAC members who post here only to be met with vitriol from you. It's the main reason why I, while somebody who clearly doesn't approach your level of expertise and experience, don't post here- and I know others who do the same. Again, unfortunate because there is a vast level of real world experience and insight that could be gained and blended with yours and other similar pillars of the Shelby community's knowledge to make us all more knowledgeable about the intricacies of the Shelby cars we love. It would also make for a more vibrant online community/ forum.

Case in point, as a former owner of 1219, somebody with firsthand knowledge of the car from when it left the original owner's care and what transpired with it up to the B-J sale (vs just seeing pics on a website) I felt chiming in on this thread was important. After all these auction threads are to review and discuss sale prices and determine the market for cars of varying quality. Yes, I thought the alarm the original owner put on 1219 was cool, I appreciated it still worked, and my family had fun "punking" people with it at car shows etc. I had and still have no dog in that hunt today. Ideally, yes, the car would have zero modifications but that was an acceptable "Day 2" one to me and I loved how spectacular that car was in so many other areas so I took it as a whole.

I do look at a ton of Shelbys in person at auctions, actually most of them, and see a lot of cars that aren't what they claim to be. For example in 2021 I inspected a '65 GT350 that was being sold at a Gooding auction that had a really "positive spin" on its history, owned by notable Shelby people, Div 2 winner etc. When I saw the car it was detailed very well but clearly had some significant issues with the legitimacy and origins of its body shell. That was one car I did not see discussed here, among others, and I was really curious as to your and other peoples take on it.

Now as for the other stuff like the $350k "Eleanors" and whatnot I certainly do not get the prices on those! Or the announced rebodies at B-J. Or even the unannounced ones ;) I did try to buy an excptionally nice '65 A Code Mustang convertible (B-J Lot 439) that was mostly original paint and was super minty underneath. It was owned by Jason Billups and clearly he knows a good Mustang. It sold for a touch over $50k and in hindsight / by comparison that was probably one of the better Mustang buys at that auction.

Ok....back to lurking. Lol

My best to all-

Colin Comer
Colin , I Thought I was politely disagreeing with your point of view and explained why. I complimented you on the masterful way you explained yours . I am not sure why you took that as vitriol ? Since my post was not meant as a personal attack as you seem to have taken it let me confirm that it was not meant that way on my end. Bob Gaines