News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Recommendations for chrome plating of pot metal & steel parts. (68 Shelby)

Started by Craner, December 19, 2023, 06:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craner

Searching for recommendations, based on your recent experience.
Plating of pot metal to steel parts.
Prefer shops located in the NE US, that have a reputation for quality chrome plating.
This includes all proper material preparation for show quality chrome.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you

Fran

Updated:
Show quality chrome requires much attention to detail to prepare the part, and typically uses a triple plating process of copper, nickel, chrome. Many plating shops are not interested processing pot metal.
Not all chrome shops apply this process and material plating thickness.
The recommendation of Paul's Chrome is typical of the process required to create 'show chrome'

Rickmustang

1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

98SVT - was 06GT

They don't like doing pot metal because the pieces they get are generally junk and full of pits. The pits need to be filled by successive layers of copper and a lot of hand work which makes the cost go through the roof. 2nd layer is nickel which is like primer to paint. It's yellowish in color and was used as the final finish in the 30s. Bright shiny chrome is the top coat.

https://www.iversonautomotive.com/services/types-of-restoration/pot-metal/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Craner

Basically 75-90% of the cars chrome.
Bumpers, door handles, front side marker lights, backup lights, gas cap, headlight trim surrounds, tail light bezel surrounds, vent window uprights, sail panels..

Cores are very good, other than the typical sail panel pot metal pitting.

Coralsnake

Well based on my experience, its usually cheaper to replace those parts than replate them and they end up looking better.

Vent window uprights are stainless
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 20, 2023, 05:04:30 PM
Well based on my experience, its usually cheaper to replace those parts than replate them and they end up looking better.

Vent window uprights are stainless
To add to  Pete's post ,besides the high costs a typical problem related to rechroming is that the polishing process before chroming typically noticeably rounds off edges making parts like door handles ,side marker lights ,back up lights ,gas cap, taillight bezel surrounds and even the headlight surround with rounded edges making them less then concours worthy. Been there done that . The chromers want the best shine and are less understanding about the edge definition . In concours venues for instance if I can tell that the profile of the part has a less then crisp defined edge there is a deduction. Not to say the the rounding of edges is a absolute with all chromers but it is typically the vast majority. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rickmustang

Try Qual Krom in Erie, PA.  I didn't know about Paul's. They did my Fairlane bumpers this year and came out beautiful. There is another place near Dallas called North Texas Quality Chrome, but I haven't used them.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

gt350shelb

fwiw  librandis  did all the chrome on out pebble beach  cars.
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

doublemyv

Ogden Chrome does the show chrome for the Kindig it Design shop in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Check out ogdenchrome.com.
Mark

DC-DD

I have been using FRANKFORD PLATING IN PHILLY FOR OVER 30 YEARS .
MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM SHOW CHROME  as there is a difference in the process from there standard chrome.