News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

10 Spoke Wheels for KR

Started by Smity, December 24, 2023, 12:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smity

Planning on getting a 2nd set of wheels for radials to swap out originals for driving around. Any suggestions on part number and where to buy 10 spoke wheels for a 68 GT500KR that fit properly?  Thanks

shelbydoug

Since you are talking about reproductions, the key is going to be if the interior of the wheel is machined or left as cast.

I think that these wheels now are sourcing from one place such as the Shelby Wheel Company?

The current tapered spoke versions are so close in appearance as to look like they are from the original tooling molds?

What is different in the originals of the era were never machined on the inside and they should have been. There is an abnormality in the castings that made the inside uneven and the high spot would interfere with the 68 disc brake calipers.

The spacer that you need to clear that really is 3/16". !/8" isn't enough and 1/4" is not necessary.

Because of the way that the lug nuts are made for those wheels, you can take advantage of using a longer stud and you should if you are using a spacer.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Smity- Legendary wheels are made in China. No thank you
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

With 10 spokes (version I had were bought 1990 off of Branda according to the boxes) I had brand new pads and inked up the rim and Caliper. I used a die grinder and carbide burr to grind the caliper until the calipers cleared. more on DS than pass on my 68 Shelby. Now to be clear my 68 had all of it's original suspension and calipers on it when I did it. New pads are important as they move the caliper the farthest out from the disc as when both sides wear the caliper moves inward.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on December 24, 2023, 12:22:53 PM
With 10 spokes (version I had were bought 1990 off of Branda according to the boxes) I had brand new pads and inked up the rim and Caliper. I used a die grinder and carbide burr to grind the caliper until the calipers cleared. more on DS than pass on my 68 Shelby. Now to be clear my 68 had all of it's original suspension and calipers on it when I did it. New pads are important as they move the caliper the farthest out from the disc as when both sides wear the caliper moves inward.

I think grinding the caliper a little is the simplest solution with the original wheel on a 68. There is just a "witness line" cast into the calipers that really doesn't need to be there for any reason.

The first set of 10 spokes I bought were a 67 set without the cast in spacers. Polishing the calipers down was all that was needed. The '68 wheel has the 1/8" spacer cast into it.

These are not complicated solutions. Ford wouldn't guaranty the 10 spokes on the '68s but they were alright to sell across the parts counter though. Ford can be very strange sometimes? I think more times then not and the legal team thinks that they know something just because they went to Harvard Law School? They probably couldn't identify a lug nut?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Smity