News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 428 Engine Resto Article Hemmings

Started by SHELB66, December 27, 2023, 09:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

430dragpack

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 28, 2023, 06:37:27 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on December 28, 2023, 06:14:46 PM
Quote from: 430dragpack on December 28, 2023, 03:06:11 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on December 28, 2023, 01:40:46 PM
Those two Scott Drake pieces are for open crankcase or closed pcv?

Villages can go many directions. It's important to avoid the "Village of the Damned".

The larger, twist in, 6766-12A is for the drivers side valve cover, non-emissions, or "cookie cutter" cap on closed system.
  The small, push on, 6766-5, goes on the intake oil filler tube and was used for both closed and open emissions.  Don't ask me why a closed emissions system has a vented cap on the oil filler tube, when the oil filler tube is connected to the air cleaner base for closed crankcase air flow.  GT350 closed emissions use a non-vented cap that hooks to the air cleaner base.

Whoever devised the closed emissions  system on the '67 GT500 shows a complete misunderstanding of how it is supposed to work. As a matter of fact it cannot work as built originally. It creates a big vacuum leak to the intake manifold.

I was just asking because the Scott Drake listing does not specify open or closed, it just states original applications which to me, as you pointed out, are confusing.
They are open emission caps "that is just the way it is "as quoted from Special Ed. It isn't Ford writing the applications it is someone who works for NPD . Unfortunately you have to look passed their good intentions of being accurate and take there descriptions with a grain of salt.

I was waiting for you to say that!!  I was going to, but figured I would give you the honors!  ;)

shelbydoug

In regards to the alternator harness ground mounting location, does that vary or is the grounding to the block as shown, the expected location?

The reason I ask is that I saw a picture (right or wrong) that mounts it on the bottom alternator mounting bolt between the aluminum spacer and the alternator housing itself?

Could they both be "correct"?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

azdriver

In he text, they refer to the carburetors as both twin 650 cfm and later 600 cfm. Seems to be some confusion...

Pat

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 30, 2023, 08:10:23 AM
In regards to the alternator harness ground mounting location, does that vary or is the grounding to the block as shown, the expected location?

The reason I ask is that I saw a picture (right or wrong) that mounts it on the bottom alternator mounting bolt between the aluminum spacer and the alternator housing itself?

The alternator grounding to the block is the typical expected to see location . I believe that is the way seen in Ford  illustrations . I have only seen it grounded to the block on all of the survivor cars that I have ever seen 65-70.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 30, 2023, 11:02:07 AM

The alternator grounding to the block is the typical expected to see location . I believe that is the way seen in Ford  illustrations . I have only seen it grounded to the block on all of the survivor cars that I have ever seen 65-70.

Is the bolt that you see most often just a plain non-graded hex bolt or is it one of the Ford versions with specific head markings?

Logically the grounding to the block seems the most sense. Exactly where the grounding on the alternator stud stems from is a mystery to me too?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 30, 2023, 12:47:18 PM

Is the bolt that you see most often just a plain non-graded hex bolt or is it one of the Ford versions with specific head markings?

Logically the grounding to the block seems the most sense. Exactly where the grounding on the alternator stud stems from is a mystery to me too?
It is typically plain no markings on the GT500 ground bolt.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 30, 2023, 12:47:18 PM

Only on the big block 67-70 would someone make that mistake. The small block ground bolt is much smaller diameter.  The harness eyelet terminal is consequently smaller on the SB alternator harness so you would not be able to put the eyelet terminal over the alternator bolt by mistake or otherwise.