Author Topic: fuel filter  (Read 4516 times)

EdwardGT350

• View Profile
fuel filter
« on: January 22, 2018, 03:04:08 PM »
any other fuel filter styles/brand correct for 66?
1966 GT350 6s1761

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: fuel filter
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:10:51 PM »
The Rotunda marked filter was early and then like a lot of parts the trademark transitioned to FOMOCO. In this case the trademark skipped right over the Fomoco trademark to the Autolite one. I believe the Autolite marked filter was for much later 66 production and all of 67 GT350 production. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:40:08 PM »
Bob when do you think the versions with the part number and logo were stamped into the metal were used or came into usage?

Know we went through this subject and similar posted pictures before the big crash.

C5AE version

C7AE version

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:47:33 PM »
Bob when do you think the versions with the part number and logo were stamped into the metal were used or came into usage?

Know we went through this subject and similar posted pictures before the big crash.

C5AE version

C7AE version

Jeff,late 67 is my best guess . The C7 marked filter is a FG15 by the thread . I am not sure what the C5 marked filter is . For those reading the FG 15 was the one used on the GT 350 needing a adapter.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 12:50:30 AM »
Jeff,late 67 is my best guess . The C7 marked filter is a FG15 by the thread . I am not sure what the C5 marked filter is . For those reading the FG 15 was the one used on the GT 350 needing a adapter.

The C5 version is a FG-15 also.  Don't think we settled on it last time we discussed these in that older thread.  Interesting piece at least
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 12:59:38 AM »
FYI for those reading the metal stamped version was used up to most of 69 production. That is when the C5 black ink stamped filter came into use. They typically have very late 69 production date codes. With that said those filters a incorrectly used on some earlier concours applications. The one in the picture date code is 37th week of 69.

EdwardGT350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 02:57:16 PM »
where does the silver body filter fit in?
1966 GT350 6s1761

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 04:39:57 PM »
where does the silver body filter fit in?
Of course the black ink versions are dated for 1970 production and not relevant to 1966 assemblyline production. The silver and gold finish may be a matter of a different vendor . I have seen both otherwise identical . The gold which is over the silver has a higher corrosion resistance .

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 05:05:41 PM »

C5AE version

C7AE version

Jeff on further reflection about the metal stamp filter I would think that they may be a different vendor then the ink stamped version. They were probably used at the same time as the ink stamped version. Also the C5 metal stamped version I believe would have been used earlier in 67 production along with the red ink stamped style with the C7 stamped version being the updated version that came out in later 67 well before 67 production stopped . My speculation in the C7 stamped version regard is reinforced by the need for a change in engineering number to the C7 . If it evolved later it most likely would have a C8 engineering number. I cant tell the difference between the two (C5 and C7 )other then the engineering number. Curiously the black ink stamped versions continued well into 70 production with the C5 number. This makes the most sense to me until more compelling information comes along. 

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 05:09:20 PM »
Based on old discussions on the previous forum and also the Concours forum, my understanding of the C5AE ink stamped filter timeline is...

65-mid(?)66 - Silver body/Red Rotunda ink stamp
later 66 - 67 - Silver body/Red Autolite ink stamp
68-69 - Gold body/Red Autolite ink stamp
69-70 - Gold body/Black Autolite ink stamp

Is that still generally correct?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 05:29:54 PM »
Based on old discussions on the previous forum and also the Concours forum, my understanding of the C5AE ink stamped filter timeline is...

65-mid(?)66 - Silver body/Red Rotunda ink stamp
later 66 - 67 - Silver body/Red Autolite ink stamp
68-69 - Gold body/Red Autolite ink stamp
69-70 - Gold body/Black Autolite ink stamp

Is that still generally correct?

Thanks,
Dave
Revised stats-      65-66 - Silver body/Red Rotunda ink stamp
later 66 - 67 - Silver body/Red Autolite ink stamp , Gold body/Red Autolite ink stamp , Gold body C5 marked Autolite metal stamped 
67-69 - Gold body/Red Autolite ink stamp,C7 marked Autolite metal stamped
70 (Mustang)  - Gold body/Black Autolite ink stamp
Until more compelling information presents itself.

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 05:42:26 PM »
Thanks Bob!
Dave - 6S1757

Hipo giddyup

• Giddyup!!
    • View Profile
1966 Mustang Fastback, now a Shelby clone
289 Hipo specs, 715 Holley w/ Lemans bowls,
4spd toploader, 3.89 rear
Built 11/65' San Jose CA
Whole lotta fun!!

outlawincorporated

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 06:21:58 AM »
Wasn't there 2 versions of the rotunda red ink stamped version.
as I described them a thin and thick base??

picture attached, would like to here what others have to say

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
Wasn't there 2 versions of the rotunda red ink stamped version.
as I described them a thin and thick base??

picture attached, would like to here what others have to say

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
Phil,I don't recall seeing that style on a GT350. It could be another vendor in the same time period but more likely IMO a earlier version. Maybe someone else has more insight.