News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What battery tray is used for the trunk mount battery?

Started by shelbydoug, January 01, 2024, 09:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

I don't remember this being covered? Is the battery tray just relocated from the front to the trunk or is there a something else pulled from another application?

Is there a part number on it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

I have seen Ferrari racecars with marine battery boxes . the cool trick is to mount top of box to floor and install the  battery tray inside it . then use bottom of box as a cover  to  keep in the  bad stuff (with a vent).

this makes it ALOT easier to swap out battery
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

tomhawk

Shelby Parts and Restoration and Branda sell the correct looking battery tray. I dont remember any part no. on my original tray. Also the tray in my 66 Tiger was plastic  Neither had a cover. 2 threaded bolts and a cross over hold down completed the 65 Shelby application. You can buy the complete setup from Branda. Was it safe, who knows?

csxsfm

With a tin can gas tank, clamped filler neck and open battery posts, what could go wrong in a rear end impact?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tomhawk on January 01, 2024, 02:30:38 PM
Shelby Parts and Restoration and Branda sell the correct looking battery tray. I dont remember any part no. on my original tray. Also the tray in my 66 Tiger was plastic  Neither had a cover. 2 threaded bolts and a cross over hold down completed the 65 Shelby application. You can buy the complete setup from Branda. Was it safe, who knows?
Branda and Shelby Parts covers the 65 GT350 factory battery relocation . Muscle parts catalog covered the different over the counter Ford parts needed for the 67-70 rear battery modification.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

The tray that I have is C9ZZ-10732-B.That I bought as a service part.

It is now being referred to as the Boss 429 battery tray. Are those the only two trays anyone knows about?

At the time it was just listed as "rear mount battery tray".

Was there a part number listed for the '65?

No would be a reply. I don't know requires no reply.  Maybe this is a difficult question to ask?

::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 01, 2024, 07:31:39 PM
The tray that I have is C9ZZ-10732-B.That I bought as a service part.

It is now being referred to as the Boss 429 battery tray. Are those the only two trays anyone knows about?

At the time it was just listed as "rear mount battery tray".

Was there a part number listed for the '65?

No would be a reply. I don't know requires no reply.  Maybe this is a difficult question to ask?

::)
Yes it is a S1MS part number . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill Collins

The original tray is a shallow plastic unit, p/n S1MS-10732-A. Attached is the Shelby American build sheet for my GT350 SFM5006. The battery hardware is shown on page 4.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

Bill Collins

Attached are photos of a currently available reproduction '65 GT350 tray. The vertical posts are secured through holes drilled into the trunk floor extension as seen in the last photo.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

shelbydoug

Did anyone ever discover what the original application was for the tray? It looks more industrial then automotive?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 02, 2024, 03:22:21 PM
Did anyone ever discover what the original application was for the tray? It looks more industrial then automotive?
I have not ever heard of another application if there is one. If there is another application besides GT350 specific then it is most likely obscure given all of the years that people talked about and searched for the trays until someone started reproducing them about 25 years ago. 

CharlesTurner

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 02, 2024, 03:22:21 PM

In Bill's original parts list doc for SFM5006, anything that isn't a Ford number is something sourced by Shelby American and will have a designated S1MS, S2MS, etc...  So in this case, the battery tray for trunk mount cars was likely either something aftermarket sourced by SA or something they designed and had made.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

silverton_ford

As crazy as this sounds.....  A local friend bought one from Shelby Parts & Restoration last year and Jesse said the battery trays were the same as Corvairs. 

A quick google search found this.   https://www.opgi.com/ignition-electrical/charging-systems/battery-trays7/battery-tray-pastic-1965-69-corvair-cv10119.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhc-sBhCEARIsAOVwHuRsh-urQs8K8f2ZIfgzorWTQoQM6NBwUt2YrFqTCbEXh2g8olfn1AEaAjxGEALw_wcB

Very similar look and shape (granted they are reproductions and quality does vary).  It would be nice to find an NOS Corvair battery tray and compare it to a known original from a 1965 GT350. 

Same manufacturer probably supplied them to GM and SAI.  I don't see SAI calling GM for battery trays.

mlplunkett

speaking of rear mount batteries, what size are those carriage bolts that hold it down? 1/4" ?   3/16" ?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bill Collins on January 02, 2024, 11:35:34 AM
The original tray is a shallow plastic unit, p/n S1MS-10732-A. Attached is the Shelby American build sheet for my GT350 SFM5006. The battery hardware is shown on page 4.
I have seen a small flat round push on clip (think what holds the rear drums on but round) that is pushed down over the threads of the battery hold down carriage bolts to keep the bolts from dropping all the way through the trunk floor hole when battery is unsecured . I don't see anything mentioned on the build sheets unless I missed it. Now I am wondering if it was a owner mod, as needed factory addition or ?