News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Is an FE a Big Block?

Started by 68stangcjfb, January 02, 2024, 06:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbf777

Quote from: crossboss on January 04, 2024, 01:43:00 PM
All this gibberish is amazing. ............

Yes, we're in complete agreement if you had just stopped here!   :)

But O.K., we're having fun, right!   ;D

But then, I have to admit I've probably aided in this "gibberish" over the decades, as when a prior Chevy devotee had purchased a Ford product he knew little about, would come into our shop and in the course of the conversation, leading to nowhere, would ask: ............... "my car, it's got an FE in it (or something a rather), is that a small block or a big block?   ???  Answer: ..............Yeah whatever!   ::)

Scott.

mgreene

This is from the factory Ford MuscleParts catalog from 1970 - note the words at the top, "Small Block Series," when referencing the 351C. So this refutes at least two previous statements : 1.) that Ford never used these terms and 2.) That the 351C is not a small block.
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

FL SAAC

Quote from: mgreene on January 05, 2024, 08:37:05 AM
This is from the factory Ford MuscleParts catalog from 1970 - note the words at the top, "Small Block Series," when referencing the 351C. So this refutes at least two previous statements : 1.) that Ford never used these terms and 2.) That the 351C is not a small block.

BIG plus ONE
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

pbf777

I think I sorta addressed the advertising angle on this matter, though more aligned at GM vs. Ford but still...............

Quote from: pbf777 on January 02, 2024, 11:56:48 AM
    there may be instances of GM referencing such in advertising at later dates if only in it's efforts to be "hip" with the masses; and it just sorta drifted across the board to the other makers,     

And that ad from Ford certainly looks like an effort to be "cool", but do note that they did properly reference this as the "335 Family" of engine offerings.   So call it what you will, but "Slang" vs. an accurate, technical definition, as assigned by Ford Motor Co. at the inception of an engine series is what it amounts to.    ;)

Maaaaaan...............this B.S. sure has some legs, we're 33 posts in, on page 3, on this subject; but we're havin' fun right!  ::)

Scott.

98SVT - was 06GT

This is from the factory Ford MuscleParts catalog from 1970 - note the words at the top, "Small Block Series," when referencing the 351C.
I'm glad that is settled I hate to think the Aussies were building a 302 inch big block.......
In November 1971, Ford of Australia began to manufacture the 301.6 cu in Cleveland engine at the Geelong engine plant alongside of the 351C. The engine remained in production until 1982 and was only produced in Australia. The 302C was considered an economy V8 and it is estimated that only ten percent of Australian Cleveland V8 production was the 302C.[1] The 302C was created by using the 351C block with a crankshaft that had a 3.0 in stroke while it shared the 2.75" main journal size of the 351C.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

crossboss

Quote from: FL SAAC on January 05, 2024, 09:10:47 AM

BIG plus ONE

More misinformation. Again, the Cleveland IS a small block. Heads interchange on any small block, heck it even was done at the factory on an engine called a Boss 302. motor mounts/trans bellhousing is small block. The Cleveland was the 'bastard' of the Ford line up. Unique block with the cast front cover ala Oldsmobile, oiling the same as the 385 series, an intake that ran dry (no coolent), and other oddities. That however, does not mean it is not a small block. Just an attempt by Ford to make 'another' engine to compete with GM and Mopar.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

mgreene

Quote from: crossboss on January 05, 2024, 01:39:30 PM

BIG plus ONE

More misinformation. Again, the Cleveland IS a small block. Heads interchange on any small block, heck it even was done at the factory on an engine called a Boss 302. motor mounts/trans bellhousing is small block. The Cleveland was the 'bastard' of the Ford line up. Unique block with the cast front cover ala Oldsmobile, oiling the same as the 385 series, an intake that ran dry (no coolent), and other oddities. That however, does not mean it is not a small block. Just an attempt by Ford to make 'another' engine to compete with GM and Mopar.

I think you misread my point _ I was pointing out that Ford actually DID call the 351C a small block.
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

crossboss

Quote from: mgreene on January 05, 2024, 02:06:33 PM

BIG plus ONE
I think you misread my point _ I was pointing out that Ford actually DID call the 351C a small block.

You are correct, my bad.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

Quote from: crossboss on January 05, 2024, 02:28:55 PM
Quote from: mgreene on January 05, 2024, 02:06:33 PM

BIG plus ONE

You are correct, my bad.

LOL

I have all UNGOLD cars

pbf777

This discussion here of the definition of a "Small-Block" vs. "Big-Block" (or other designation), is somewhat along the lines of the long time argument of what constitutes a true "Sports-Car", and then which vehicles absolutely are or are not such.  Although we all have our own impressions of what a 'proper' sports car might be, a truly finite and factual definition, with thought, proves somewhat more difficult; and as manufactures often did not actually defined specifically the their product was a "Sports-Car", even if it obviously fit the bill, but though at times participated in the promotion as such.    ;D

And my intention is not to redirect this thread to S.C.'s, just presenting for thought the comparison.   :)   

And what the heck, ...................just keep the ball rolling!   ::)

Scott.

FL SAAC

Quote from: pbf777 on January 05, 2024, 05:26:07 PM
      This discussion here of the definition of a "Small-Block" vs. "Big-Block" (or other designation), is somewhat along the lines of the long time argument of what constitutes a true "Sports-Car", and then which vehicles absolutely are or are not such.  Although we all have our own impressions of what a 'proper' sports car might be, a truly finite and factual definition, with thought, proves somewhat more difficult; and as manufactures often did not actually defined specifically the their product was a "Sports-Car", even if it obviously fit the bill, but though at times participated in the promotion as such.    ;D

And my intention is not to redirect this thread to S.C.'s, just presenting for thought the comparison.   :)   

And what the heck, ...................just keep the ball rolling!   ::)

Scott.

you really meant to say " the block rolling "

I have all UNGOLD cars

pbf777

Quote from: FL SAAC on January 05, 2024, 05:30:02 PM
you really meant to say " the block rolling "

Yes, I yield to your better choice of wording here; besides, with a little more effort, maybe we'll make it to 4 pages of this amazing "gibberish"!   ::)

Scott.

P.S.: Somebody better inject some relevant key wording incorporating "Shelby", "Cobra", etc. or this thread is liable to be "officially" labeled as an unappreciated "gibberish"!   :o