News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Oldsmobile spotted

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, January 07, 2024, 02:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

This is the first one of these I've seen in the wild. The local Olds club was at Cars & Coffee with many 442s and this.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

A rarity.  I wonder why it never took off.  The body styling looked pretty decent.  Maybe arrived too early or too late?  Timing is everything in this life.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

tesgt350

Quote from: deathsled on January 07, 2024, 09:49:41 PM
A rarity.  I wonder why it never took off.  The body styling looked pretty decent.  Maybe arrived too early or too late?  Timing is everything in this life.

I would bet that, if it had a Ford Motor, it would have taken off big time.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: tesgt350 on January 08, 2024, 11:41:50 AM
Quote from: deathsled on January 07, 2024, 09:49:41 PM

I would bet that, if it had a Ford Motor, it would have taken off big time.
They were too much money and had too many compromises to be successful. Somebody has built one as a Coupe with a Ford engine. CS had planned a coupe.
Shelby had several of the CSX5000 ones that he used to pay off peoples contracts when he fired them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_Series_1

crossboss

I have to correct your title: Oldsmobile POWERED car spotted.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: crossboss on January 08, 2024, 01:15:08 PM
I have to correct your title: Oldsmobile POWERED car spotted.
Tha is the only thing all the cars have in common? Despite initial claims that the car was entirely built in-house, much of the production run was overseen by General Motors with much of the components used from their parts bin, including the powerplant. - During production, Venture Corporation purchased Shelby American. The purchase included the rights to the Series 1 model after a subsequent bankruptcy by Venture Corporation, Carroll Shelby's new company Shelby Automobiles, Inc. purchased the Series 1 assets for pennies on the dollar. Included in the asset purchase were sufficient components to produce several more complete Series 1s.

Side-Oilers

These look better without the over-the-top stripes, IMO. 

I drove the prototypes, and then got the first magazine drive of the pre-production car, back in 1999.  It wasn't ready for prime-time yet, and the GM parts-bin interior left most everyone cold.  The taillights look like they came out of a trailer supply catalog...because they did.

(Trivia: The front side market lights on the Gen 1 Viper were also trailer parts. Gotta save money wherever possible, on low-production cars.) 

The normally-aspirated engines were pretty weak. Not much low-end torque, because it was tuned to high rpm to get a decent hp number. Shelby's guys quickly developed a supercharged version for our top speed shootout in '99 or 2000. That made a big difference, but the cockpit ergonomics were still quirky, and the pedals so crazily far offset to the left that at least half the time you hit the brake, thinking it's where the clutch ought to be.

But, the car did handle like a proper race car. Decent ride quality, too. A bit over 1.0g lateral grip in an era when 0.9g was a big deal.

With the supercharged engine and another year of development, it would have been a much better car. But, the MSRP ramped-up quickly, due to delays, bad business decisions and internal problems, and pushed the car out of the smart-buy-supercar bracket. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

427heaven

It was a weird time in automotive history when Indy cars had to run stock block engines and OLDSMOBILE was on a big push for name recognition. So there was an OLDS AURORA once upon a time, and they were using its engine supposedly... it sounded very strange when they went by and they were not much in street trim either. The entire promotion appeared to be a flop along with Saturn, the PT cruiser the odd rod PROWLER and a host of others. Poor name recognition could not make it to be something.