News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Have a picture of how the upper clutch return spring attached to the firewall?

Started by cboss70, January 07, 2024, 06:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

I just put the z-bar in my 66 and need to install the upper return spring that goes from the z-bar to the firewall. Can someone post a picture of where/how it mounts? May as well do it right if I can! Thanks in advance for your help!

azdriver

Not a Shelby but my 66 GT has this tab under the master cylinder.

Pat

cboss70

Thanks! Is that welded on there? I will have to look to see if mine still has that now that I know where to look.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cboss70 on January 07, 2024, 08:38:22 PM
Thanks! Is that welded on there? I will have to look to see if mine still has that now that I know where to look.
There is a slit in the firewall. A eyelet with a small flat plate as a base is what slides through the slit. Some one here made a few of the eyelets that fit through the firewall. The factory spring has a special appearance also.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

sg66

6s1640

Hi Cboss70,

If you are interested, I have made a few and have an extra if you need one.  In the attached image, original on left, mine on right.

Also, is an image of the OEM style spring.  Tony Branda has part number CRRS1.  Rumor has it, IIRC, the assembly line spring might have been green.  (A fellow member here found an NOS one in an old FoMoCo box and the spring was green.  Not proof, but a suggestion of the possibility.)

Cory

cboss70

Thank you all for the great info. I went out and found it last night- was a little hidden by undercoat. Funny after working on mustangs for decades and owning many of them that I never noticed that before!  (guess I've owned to many automatics!).

rraceme

Hello, when i was stripping 6S2227 a few years ago i took these pictures once I removed the original insulation pad. IMHO, my car has not been disassembled prior and in its original state. The spring in pic has nothing to do with the bracket. As you see it in the picture is how it displayed when removing it. I was very careful w\pics because I see many of these missing on HiPo;s and GT350's. It has a small plastic insulator between the bracket and firewall. I see others have already posted their brackets too - just thought someone might find this interesting.  Thanks Fred
SFM 6S2227

J_Speegle

Here is another example

And a link to a related thread showing the many different angles/pictures and measurements over on CMF

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=23641.0

As mentioned in another thread these were added (hole in the firewall and for manual transmissions the bracket and spring) MPC lists the change taking place on 2/14/66 but not sure if that lines up with the evidence and of course we don't know for certain when each car was completed.

As of right now

Lowest VIN/example with the hole 6R1639xx  Early enough to not have the rubber plug for the hole used

Latest (highest VIN) example without the hole for the bracket -  6R1789xx
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on January 17, 2024, 07:21:42 PM
Here is another example

And a link to a related thread showing the many different angles/pictures and measurements over on CMF

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=23641.0

As mentioned in another thread these were added (hole in the firewall and for manual transmissions the bracket and spring) MPC lists the change taking place on 2/14/66 but not sure if that lines up with the evidence and of course we don't know for certain when each car was completed.

As of right now

Lowest VIN/example with the hole 6R1639xx  Early enough to not have the rubber plug for the hole used

Latest (highest VIN) example without the hole for the bracket -  6R1789xx
Not to take away from the factory spring eyelet but it appears that the upper clutch spring in the picture appears to be a replacement given the smaller diameter compared to the typical.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rraceme

Members is the spring pictured in the 6th posting in this thread the correct styled spring? I ordered an NOS spring a few years ago but doesn't look like the one pictured in top of this thread. 
SFM 6S2227

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rraceme on January 18, 2024, 03:32:43 PM
Members is the spring pictured in the 6th posting in this thread the correct styled spring? I ordered an NOS spring a few years ago but doesn't look like the one pictured in top this thread.
It may be NOS (New Old stock) but is NOS service replacement that looks different then assemblyline. It will work but has a different appearance . It should look like the one in reply #5 if you want a assemblyline look.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 18, 2024, 04:09:22 PM
Quote from: rraceme on January 18, 2024, 03:32:43 PM
Members is the spring pictured in the 6th posting in this thread the correct styled spring? I ordered an NOS spring a few years ago but doesn't look like the one pictured in top this thread.
It may be NOS (New Old stock) but is NOS service replacement that looks different then assemblyline. It will work but has a different appearance . It should look like the one in reply #5 if you want a assemblyline look.

Only lately have I learned not to use the term "original" when referring to a Ford Service part.

Your term of "Original Assembly Line Part" and "Original Ford Service Part" are safer and more accurate.

I've had too many incidents were the Service part looks so different that it looks like a different application all together, i.e., they don't look the same. Ford Service Parts cares absolutely nothing about show points deductions. They care about function and may in fact have been updated or improved upon the original assembly line part.

Why should we expect anything different with this spring looking different?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

s2ms

This is the OE style NOS spring Cory mentioned in reply #5, it is the only one I've personally ever seen. From my observations this style was changed very early-on, maybe even before the end of 66 production? Bag part# is faint but reads C6ZZ-7523-C.
Dave - 6S1757

silverton_ford

Dave, Thank you for sharing.  Interesting part.

rraceme - The part you posted is the bottom spring according to the MPC drawing.   

C6ZZ-7523-C - upper return spring
C6ZZ-7591-A - lower return spring