News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Did you know John Borg - owner of '67 Ford Mach 2? Trying to locate a relative

Started by jim.kreuz7@gmail.com, January 09, 2024, 04:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim.kreuz7@gmail.com

You may have read my 2023 Shelby American article on the missing red 1967 Ford Mach 2 prototype that was proposed to have been built by Shelby American. One of our members responded, saying that a friend of his, John Borg, had been the caretaker of both of the Mach 2 prototypes, and in the early 70s was instructed to deliver both to an address. He took the white model, set up for racing, as instructed, and found the location to be a car crusher. After witnessing the demise of the car, he asked the operator there what Ford was looking for as far as documentation, and was told 'only the description of the car, to be filled out by Borg, and the weight of the crushed car.' So John Borg went back and bought a red early 60s Ford Falcon, delivered it to the crusher, and filled the paperwork out, noting the vehicle was a '67 Mach 2. Yes, he hung onto the red Mach 2. He later became the Assist Gen Manager of Telegraph Ford (now Chevy) in Detroit, came down with cancer in the mid 1980s, moved to Florida, and passed away in late 1980s. I feel certain the red Mach 2 is still somewhere in the Detroit area. There are hundreds of Borg's living in Detroit, and I've reached out to several used car dealers on Telegraph Rd - John ran a used car lot also - but have come up empty. I'm not interested in acquiring the car, only in finishing the story - confirming it exists, and possibly viewing it. Any leads would be appreciated. I write 2-8 articles a year in the Shelby American, and love to read Tom Cotter's books and watch his youtube videos - The Barnfind Hunter.