News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1969-70 shelby gt350 choke shield

Started by musclecarman15, January 11, 2024, 02:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musclecarman15

would like to know the proper choke heat shield on 69-70 gt350. information so far is the part is listed in the 69-70 parts list as c9zz-9861-B , dont know what that looks like...would love to see an nos one.  know the c9zz-9861-A version is for the 2bbl. version 69 mustangs. have a choke heat shield from a 69 mustang with the 351w 4bbl. carburetor....this will not fit due to the carburetor height reduction on a shelby ,when a different carb spacer is used than a 69 351w 4bbl. mustang. this part is shown on coralsnakes website but has been cut to fit. dont know if ford or shelby modified the production part or was the flat shield version used as seen on some 69-70 gt350 cars. if someone has an original survivor car ,would love pictures. would also like to know what part number in parts book shows for production 69 mustang with 351w 4bbl. engine...any help is appreciated, as goal is to find out what really came on a 69-70 shelby gt350 for a choke heat shield. thx keith

Coralsnake

I checked my files and could not find another example for you
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

J_Speegle

Have a handful of ones I already shared privately I'll post tomorrow
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

Quote from: musclecarman15 on January 11, 2024, 02:40:15 PM
would like to know the proper choke heat shield on 69-70 gt350. information so far is the part is listed in the 69-70 parts list as c9zz-9861-B , dont know what that looks like...would love to see an nos one.  know the c9zz-9861-A version is for the 2bbl. version 69 mustangs. have a choke heat shield from a 69 mustang with the 351w 4bbl. carburetor....this will not fit due to the carburetor height reduction on a shelby ,when a different carb spacer is used than a 69 351w 4bbl. mustang. this part is shown on coralsnakes website but has been cut to fit. dont know if ford or shelby modified the production part or was the flat shield version used as seen on some 69-70 gt350 cars. if someone has an original survivor car ,would love pictures. would also like to know what part number in parts book shows for production 69 mustang with 351w 4bbl. engine...any help is appreciated, as goal is to find out what really came on a 69-70 shelby gt350 for a choke heat shield. thx keith
I have my original one put away with my carb. Not sure how it is different. I see Pete's pic in the link below showing the shield and throttle bracket. They appear to be the same as to what I have on my car. https://www.thecoralsnake.com/1969Carb.html
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

J_Speegle

Shared these with Keith off line before he posted so here are some examples I found.

The jagged edge version I found on a couple of cars unfortunately don't have VINs for either car but notice that one may be a Mustang since the engine has a Ford cast iron intake not a Shelby aluminum version.

Not sure if the X is an original mark (don't think so) or something applied by an owner so would suggest no one copy and use it on their car. It was also found on a engine with a Ford cast iron intake. Not sure if it was in a Shelby

Here are four  (481264 - 481339 - 481897 - 482561) with the rectangle version often found on non-Shelby  M codes. Guess the question may be if they used both versions depending on production period like the different carb spacers. Also both work or fit just provide a heat shield for different parts near the choke on the passenger side

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

musclecarman15

Would love to see someone post a KNOWN original Shelby carb setup. Thx keith

KShane

This is from #1256 built 2/13/69. Unrestored car with 34k miles. It appears to be 351W 4v version that has been modified to fit the aluminum intake with thinner carburetor spacer.

J_Speegle

Quote from: KShane on January 16, 2024, 11:32:17 AM
This is from #1256 built 2/13/69. Unrestored car with 34k miles. It appears to be 351W 4v version that has been modified to fit the aluminum intake with thinner carburetor spacer.

Don't think its a modification of the Mustang versions since that version does not have a tab and hole to attach to the carb stud and it mounts above the spacer and intake.  Believe it is a special specifically made part for those Shelby's it came on. Interesting IMHO that each versions "protects" or shields a different part of the carb for some reason

Thanks for providing another example