News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Is this a locker, a posi, a standard open?

Started by cboss70, January 17, 2024, 04:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

I recently had cobra auto remove what I thought was a locker with 4:11's from a 66 Shelby rearend (and I think they agreed) and had them put the original stuff back in. I figured I'd list it for sale on CL to get some funds back and based on these pictures a person told me it was a standard carrier. I don't want to mislead anyone. Can anyone confirm for me based on these pictures?

This is what the guy on CR emailed me: The Posi unit has beefy and deep cut bolt holes on the side. If your carrier was a posi of any kind, it would have similar beefiness and depth and yours does not have that. I don't think it's a locker. I doubt I'm wrong.

98SVT - was 06GT

What you have shown isn't much help. The limited slip will have springs and clutches. The Detroit locker you can see right through where the axles go since they don't have a shaft or side gears. Look in the red area for the clutches.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Scode67FB

What you have looks like a Detroit Locker to me. It's NOT a standard carrier. What the Craigslist responder is describing is a Ford Traction Lok unit. These have the "beefy and deep cut bolt holes on the side" because that's where the clutch pack is on the inside of. 

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Scode67FB on January 17, 2024, 10:20:17 PM
What you have looks like a Detroit Locker to me.
Did your car clunk and lurch when making turns? If so it's a Detroit locker.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

cboss70

Based on this picture and what you are saying it looks like a locker- you can see straight through. I learn something new every day- thanks for all the pointers.

pbf777

Yes, that 'IS' a Detroit Locker unit.   ;)

Scott.