News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1970 Shelbys. What was Ford's plan and when?

Started by shelbymann1970, January 18, 2024, 10:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 427hunter on January 19, 2024, 01:38:32 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on January 19, 2024, 12:40:01 PM
I guess getting back to the original point of this is that did Ford build out Shelbys knowing they would be converted to 70 models? 4 speed  GT350 distributors are dated June of 1969 so well before the end of the last Shelby being produced. With ford having designs going for a 71 Shelby and AO Smith cancelling their contract after 1969 did Ford decide to keep building 69 Shelbys under the contract with AO Smith knowing these built cars would eventually be 1970 models? I know Claude wanted a bunch for his dealership in Belgium and ordered a bunch of 70s but other than that what was Ford's direction in all of this? I don't think this topic has ever been discussed in length and too many people say all 1970s were leftover 69s that Ford couldn't sell so they decided to convert to 1970 models. Time frame from distributors being made, Ford testing to come up with the ED distributors, Claude ordering 70 Shelby all point to me that Ford possibly in the spring decided to build out some Shelbys for 1970 after losing the AO Smith contract at the end of 1969 production. Thoughts?
Also on my 1969 1970 Shelby Mustang Facebook page I started a topic on 70 GT350 distributors  since we have some 70 owners on the page to find out  to what is on people's cars.

Kind of ironic that if this ascertain was being made on bring a trailer, you would be attacking the seller for trying to explain something that's not correct.
Oh,  you can't help being an incorrect ASSHOLE.  ZERO VALUE added. Go away.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

Here are some dates I found that may be useful:

October 1968 - 1971 Shelby mockups are displayed at Ford Design studios.

August 1969 - AO Smith responds to a request to convert 1969s to 1970 models and declines

November 1969 - The Shelby program is shuttered.

I suspect Ford probably started manufacturing the distributors in advance of the 1970 model year and also identified them as the replacements for the original "C9" parts. I believe the original 69 part was a single vacuum advance and probably had a different curve, so the 1969 "left overs" were updated with the newer "DO" dual pull vacuum advances.

I believe there are other examples of parts being introduced before the model year kicks off. Don't the 302 blocks start appearing during 1967 production?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

427hunter

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on January 19, 2024, 03:09:51 PM
Quote from: 427hunter on January 19, 2024, 01:38:32 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on January 19, 2024, 12:40:01 PM
I guess getting back to the original point of this is that did Ford build out Shelbys knowing they would be converted to 70 models? 4 speed  GT350 distributors are dated June of 1969 so well before the end of the last Shelby being produced. With ford having designs going for a 71 Shelby and AO Smith cancelling their contract after 1969 did Ford decide to keep building 69 Shelbys under the contract with AO Smith knowing these built cars would eventually be 1970 models? I know Claude wanted a bunch for his dealership in Belgium and ordered a bunch of 70s but other than that what was Ford's direction in all of this? I don't think this topic has ever been discussed in length and too many people say all 1970s were leftover 69s that Ford couldn't sell so they decided to convert to 1970 models. Time frame from distributors being made, Ford testing to come up with the ED distributors, Claude ordering 70 Shelby all point to me that Ford possibly in the spring decided to build out some Shelbys for 1970 after losing the AO Smith contract at the end of 1969 production. Thoughts?
Also on my 1969 1970 Shelby Mustang Facebook page I started a topic on 70 GT350 distributors  since we have some 70 owners on the page to find out  to what is on people's cars.

Kind of ironic that if this ascertain was being made on bring a trailer, you would be attacking the seller for trying to explain something that's not correct.
Oh,  you can't help being an incorrect ASSHOLE.  ZERO VALUE added. Go away.

Well that's the frying pan calling the kettle black, ha ha ha  ;D
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Special Ed

Pete i think the doaf  351w distributors were to be used on the early 70 351w cars before the 351 c  started being used on dearborn assembly lines on 1970 mustangs and cougars. The 69 kk shelby gt350 that changed to 70 models to meet new  70 emission laws had to be ear marked ED so not to be confused with the regular  production 70 mustangs and cougars that went into early 70 351 w cars before the 351 c. i think but not sure. Does anybody know or have a 70 mustang or cougar 351w car or distributor to see what id stamped # is on the distributor or what the MPC says as most 70 restorations are done with the 351 c  4 bbl closed chambered  head cars that are very fast and desirable cars.

427hunter

The car in question was built 7 week before the distributor and there was not a 4 barrel 351 Windsor in 1970 to require an emissions related distributor swap at A.O. Smith. Unless every other 70 gt350 had a after build date distributor, Someone changed it out at some point. Now if this was a BAT auction the
" shelbymann1970 " would be screeching "incorrect part - incorrect part", but here there is a discussion to determine what the facts are. 

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 427hunter on January 19, 2024, 09:43:00 PM
The car in question was built 7 week before the distributor and there was not a 4 barrel 351 Windsor in 1970 to require an emissions related distributor swap at A.O. Smith. Unless every other 70 gt350 had a after build date distributor, Someone changed it out at some point. Now if this was a BAT auction the
" shelbymann1970 " would be screeching "incorrect part - incorrect part", but here there is a discussion to determine what the facts are.
Hey if you still haven't noticed in your anger ands quickness to attack me  I STARTED this topic. You are trying to frame me as someone I am not ,hence, you are an asshole plain and simple and a negative to our hobby as in whast have you ever contributed to this forum other than biased opinions and attacks. I don't know what your issues are and you definitely have issues others have pointed out to me privately. I started a few topics in regards to the history of 1970s and correct parts-which You do not own- and distributors as much focus has always been on the GT500s and not the GT350s and not much has been researched on distributors and the vacuum schematics and vacuum advances on these cars as not a lot converted. So since you know nothing on this topic you should just go away as you add ZERO value to this subject. Again  :( :( :(
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

427hunter

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on January 20, 2024, 07:50:47 AM
Hey if you still haven't noticed in your anger ands quickness to attack me  I STARTED this topic. You are trying to frame me as someone I am not ,hence, you are an asshole plain and simple and a negative to our hobby as in whast have you ever contributed to this forum other than biased opinions and attacks. I don't know what your issues are and you definitely have issues others have pointed out to me privately. I started a few topics in regards to the history of 1970s and correct parts-which You do not own- and distributors as much focus has always been on the GT500s and not the GT350s and not much has been researched on distributors and the vacuum schematics and vacuum advances on these cars as not a lot converted. So since you know nothing on this topic you should just go away as you add ZERO value to this subject. Again  :( :( :(

Your life appears to be a great success, ha ha ha - you are a legend in your own mind.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 427hunter on January 20, 2024, 12:07:10 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on January 20, 2024, 07:50:47 AM

Your life appears to be a great success, ha ha ha - you are a legend in your own mind.
still being an asshat I see. Grow up and calm down. You get off on harassing people. What a little man you are. Really sad. Heck you don't even have my handle right on BaT when you quoted earlier. You appear to be a guy who does zero research and has a lot of biases. I really do pity you. When you lash out you have a problem and with someone you never met or conversed directly to? It shows you lack of character.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990