News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Shock bushings

Started by Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas, January 18, 2024, 01:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Looking for a source for shock bushings for a 1966 GT350
Rubbers, nuts and washers
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Steve Mc
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Rickmustang

1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on January 18, 2024, 01:16:34 PM

Steve Mc
It would be important to know which shock one is using. If you car is under approximately 900 it would have Koni's from the factory . If higher then approximately 900 it would come with Ford adjustable shocks from the factory.  The Ford adjustable use a different type of upper bushing compared to a Koni version. Because of availability the majority of 66 owners choose to run a Koni shock vintage or later versions. If using Koni's the as mentioned Cobra Automotive alternative parts will work but they are a different material and especially the upper bushings will look different in shape compared to vintage original. Just in case that matters I wanted to bring that attention for those reading . If that is a secondary consideration then the Cobra Automotive Parts will work fine for the Koni's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 18, 2024, 04:30:16 PM
Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on January 18, 2024, 01:16:34 PM

Steve Mc
It would be important to know which shock one is using. If you car is under approximately 900 it would have Koni's from the factory . If higher then approximately 900 it would come with Ford adjustable shocks from the factory.  The Ford adjustable use a different type of upper bushing compared to a Koni version. Because of availability the majority of 66 owners choose to run a Koni shock vintage or later versions. If using Koni's the as mentioned Cobra Automotive alternative parts will work but they are a different material and especially the upper bushings will look different in shape compared to vintage original. Just in case that matters I wanted to bring that attention for those reading . If that is a secondary consideration then the Cobra Automotive Parts will work fine for the Koni's.

Changing from Koni's to the Ford adjustable, shape and material not a problem, just want them to fit. May not like them and change back to the Koni's which I've had on the car since 72
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on January 18, 2024, 05:20:00 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 18, 2024, 04:30:16 PM

Steve Mc

Changing from Koni's to the Ford adjustable, shape and material not a problem, just want them to fit. May not like them and change back to the Koni's which I've had on the car since 72
I know others in the past have bought a inexpensive pair of after market shocks for the donor parts that you can harvest from them especially upper bushing .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

David Davis restored an original set of 66 FoMoCo front adjustable shocks for me several years ago. Have no idea if he still supplies/sells the hardware but might be worth a call...

https://www.dsdrestoration.com/
Dave - 6S1757

Royce Peterson

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 18, 2024, 05:31:19 PM
I know others in the past have bought a inexpensive pair of after market shocks for the donor parts that you can harvest from them especially upper bushing .

I found out the hard way that Monroe upper bushings will not fit OEM Ford 1965 - 68 front shocks. The Gabriel ones fit. 
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Thanks to all for the information
I just have to make the choice now
Thanks to all

Brant

If you are planning to use a used set of the stock Ford adjustable shocks, I can tell you from first hand experience that the Koni shocks are far superior.

Leave the stock shocks in the box and use the Koni shocks if you drive the car.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

S7MS427

Quote from: Brant on January 19, 2024, 08:57:16 AM
If you are planning to use a used set of the stock Ford adjustable shocks, I can tell you from first hand experience that the Koni shocks are far superior.

Leave the stock shocks in the box and use the Koni shocks if you drive the car.
Oh yeah, he drives the car!
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040