News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 Shelby EFFPI and over the Counter Steering Wheels like Secura F.I.V.

Started by Kent, January 20, 2024, 04:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

Hello, the Steering Wheel theme makes some crazy here, me also and I would like to make a thread where we can post all the differences as I didn't found something here that put it all in one thread.

So there was a difference in the tabs of the spokes for early and later build 67´s (are the change dates known?) but all of these came with an EFFPI Steering Wheel and never with an Secura F.I.V. these were aftermarket and the only car that I know that had it from the start was the 67 Supersnake built by Shelby for the Goodyear Tire test.

So far so good there are also differences in the hub and it would be good to have some comparison pictures here posted.

On the pictures is a 67 EFFPI Steering Wheel
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Kent

Here some pictures of a Secura F.I.V. these were aftermarket over the counter steering wheels

I´m not sure for which year this one is the hub is different to my EFFPI

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Kent

This is also a SECURA F.I.V. aftermarket and much more common without the 3 black tabs in a GT500 67

427hunter

Quote from: Kent on January 20, 2024, 04:34:35 AM
This is also a SECURA F.I.V. aftermarket and much more common without the 3 black tabs in a GT500 67

The non black tab F.I.V. wheel looks the same as my 66 F.I.V. wheel, only the horn button is different. Do you know the history of that non black tab wheel and how it got on that 67? 
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

JD

There was a thread, which I can't seem to find now on '67steering wheels (another gone missing?).  It was after the Scott Drake version hit the market, here are some images that I arranged to more easily see some of the differences to some of the versions out there.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Kent

@427hunter the Steering Wheel is in one of the last built 67 Shelbys I´m not sure if Shelby had more shortage on some parts like it was with fiberglass, seat trim etc. that he maybe put some parts in the car he had left. From what I have seen in the last 20 years primarily on the last built cars there were some parts on that shouldn´t be there like a louvered hod on a non louvered hood car etc. but you never know if it came with these parts if you don't have the history from Shelby or the day it was bought by the first owner.

So the question is were really all 67s Shelby equipped with the EFFPI Steering Wheels or are there cars known that came with a Secura FIV from LAX?

The Secura FIV with the black tabs is the only one I have ever seen in my life, maybe someone here has seen another one? I really would like to know what it would be worth.

Bob Gaines

Great job JD showing the differences between the wheels that came factory on the 67 Shelby's and the repros. The burden of proof would be on the person claiming something that something different then those accepted factory examples came on a car. That burden at his point would be quite a uphill battle IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

Quote from: Kent on January 21, 2024, 08:28:19 AM
@427hunter the Steering Wheel is in one of the last built 67 Shelbys I´m not sure if Shelby had more shortage on some parts like it was with fiberglass, seat trim etc. that he maybe put some parts in the car he had left. From what I have seen in the last 20 years primarily on the last built cars there were some parts on that shouldn´t be there like a louvered hod on a non louvered hood car etc. but you never know if it came with these parts if you don't have the history from Shelby or the day it was bought by the first owner.

So the question is were really all 67s Shelby equipped with the EFFPI Steering Wheels or are there cars known that came with a Secura FIV from LAX?

The Secura FIV with the black tabs is the only one I have ever seen in my life, maybe someone here has seen another one? I really would like to know what it would be worth.

Here is the F.I.V. on my 66 it looks the same excecpt for the horn button. It would be interesting to know what F.I.V. wheels were in the Shelby sales catalog and when? 

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

shelbydoug

That was the service part. I'm pretty sure it had a S2MS part number on it.

I bought one as a Ford Service Part in 1972. There was no horn button available for it. It wasn't cheap. It was $125 then.

I'm not sure if the '67 version ever had a S7MS part number or if they all were just the S2MS?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427hunter

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 21, 2024, 06:28:10 PM
That was the service part. I'm pretty sure it had a S2MS part number on it.

I bought one as a Ford Service Part in 1972. There was no horn button available for it. It wasn't cheap. It was $125 then.

I'm not sure if the '67 version ever had a S7MS part number or if they all were just the S2MS?

The inflation calculator says that would be $911 today, that was expensive..

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

roddster

Just want to know if there is a difference, the rest of the class knows this:
    Is there a difference in the plastic length between early and late cars?   If so, please post a photo of that.

And a little story about my original steering wheel:  When I bought my car, one of those plastic sections was broken.  The 2nd owner had used wire to hold it together.  I couldn't stand that so down to Warshawski's (thats in Chicago, near the Loop) I went and bought a Cal Custom wood wheel.  I got the broken original one off, went out to the alley, and placed it next to the garbage can.  Next day it was gone. This was in 1971.
  Then in 1974, I ran a "wanted" ad in Hot Rod magazine for a 67 Shelby steering wheel.  A couple of months later there was a knock on my door.  Some fellow from Florida was there with one.  Best $75.00 I ever spent.

JD

does this help...also reply #5 second image the left side.

roddster

Nah, I was trying to see if we could pin down yet another 67 running production change and when, along the range of car numbers the switch from the long and the short plastic might have happened.
  Won't matter to me but those Division 1 restoration it might matter to.