News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

COBRA Air Cleaner Assembly 1967 Shelby GT500 after Car 600

Started by Kent, January 24, 2024, 01:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

I have this COBRA Air Cleaner Assembly for sale.

Its for a 1967 Shelby GT500 and its correct for every car after no. 600 it only need the black wrinkle finish again. Bob and the most here know how to do it so that should be fine.

Price:2750$

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Kent

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Bob Gaines

I would rather buy a proper diecast lid that was already stripped of paint so number 1 you can see what you are working with because they had a notorious bad metal surface finish. You can do body work to smooth a bad finish prior to laying down the wrinkle finish.  Number 2 so you can put down a good consistent wrinkle finish which is relative easy to do.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TA Coupe

If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

427heaven

A couple questions regarding 67 air cleaners. When did the straight leg or curved leg on the letter R begin, and didnt the top have dimples for the wing nuts?

Rickmustang

1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

azdriver

Have heard that Harley Davidson black wrinkle is the best product to use?  ???

Pat

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427heaven on January 24, 2024, 08:24:07 PM
A couple questions regarding 67 air cleaners. When did the straight leg or curved leg on the letter R begin, and didnt the top have dimples for the wing nuts?
The change happened when the sand cast air cleaners transitioned to the diecast air cleaners. The sand cast lids typically had dimples for the wing nuts however the diecast did not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TA Coupe

If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Kent

This is a sandcast. And it would be great if sometimes the forum users would do some better pictures as its sometimes hard to see what is an original and what not.

Kent

This is a sandcast and yes different to mine.

p.s why can I not quote with the pics?

Quote from: TA Coupe on January 25, 2024, 08:28:47 AM
A little dusty but here you go.

Roy

shelbydoug

I don't see the dimples for the wing nuts.

I'd like to see a detail, up close of the PCV tube. Those seem to be unique to those air cleaners?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

Here is the close-up of the dimples on the one Roy posted above...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 25, 2024, 09:57:19 AM
I don't see the dimples for the wing nuts.

I'd like to see a detail, up close of the PCV tube. Those seem to be unique to those air cleaners?
The sand cast base had two types of PCV fittings used one was a right angle fitting (early)and the other a sweeping curved fitting (later) . The diecast base only used the sweeping curved fitting. The thing that separates these from all of the repros I have ever seen is that the factory base fittings are crimped in place but can swivel although typically with considerable effort. Repro base pcv fittings are typically cast in place with no way to move them