News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Special Sticker for 1965 hipo engines

Started by LightWtJet, January 24, 2024, 09:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightWtJet

In looking at pictures of engines at the Cleveland Engine Plant in 1965, there are two engines that are described as Hipo. On each engine is a large sticker on the valve cover with the letters DSO.
I have researched this sticker and it stands for Domestic Special Order. It is applied to special engines only to assure the vehicle assembly plant use them in special cars. My 1968 428 Cobra Jet is of the 135 series and had a 50 car build. It had the large yellow sticker on the left valve cover that the dealer did not remove.
Is it possible that owners of some Hipo Shelbies could display that sticker validly? It garners attention on my CJ show car. The sticker is available from a parts house in Australia -possibly from other locations. Is this of interest?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: LightWtJet on January 24, 2024, 09:15:26 PM
In looking at pictures of engines at the Cleveland Engine Plant in 1965, there are two engines that are described as Hipo. On each engine is a large sticker on the valve cover with the letters DSO.
The pictures are from the Concourse Mustang website. See this link -
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8517.msg49959#msg49959
Read comment from hipogiddyup and page back to 1f to see the engines and comments. I have researched this sticker and it stands for Domestic Special Order. It is applied to special engines only to assure the vehicle assembly plant use them in special cars. My 1968 428 Cobra Jet is of the 135 series and had a 50 car build. It had the large yellow sticker on the left valve cover. I would suggest that owners of some Hipo Shelbies could display that sticker validly. It garners attention on my CJ show car. The sticker is available from a parts house in Australia -possibly from other locations. Is this of interest?
That sticker is apparently not relevant to the engines used in 65 GT350's given that there is no evidence that they were used on those engines. It may have something to do with the fact that the pictures you reference are on chrome valve covers and the GT350 had the valve covers switched out (in the case of 65) for sand cast Cobra marked valve covers.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

LightWtJet

I see your point. Did the dealer install the sand cast covers?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: LightWtJet on January 24, 2024, 10:01:26 PM
I see your point. Did the dealer install the sand cast covers?
No . At first that was done at Shelby American but transitioned to have Ford do it at the Cleveland engine plant.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: LightWtJet on January 24, 2024, 09:15:26 PM
...............It had the large yellow sticker on the left valve cover. I would suggest that owners of some Hipo Shelbies could display that sticker validly. It garners attention on my CJ show car. ................

Not in a concours setting since typically rules for those classes require the cars to be presented as they were either delivered to the dealership or to the first owner. Such decals/sticker would have been removed at Shelby or during dealer prep at the dealership

BTW the link you posted isn't visible to non- Concours members. We set that up in some sections since the members of the site paid a fair amount to get pictures (including the one your referring to) or licenses to use them on that site. Lets be respectful to their efforts and donations please
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge