News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Original GT350 parts?

Started by cboss70, January 29, 2024, 08:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

I may go with a buddy to look at a 67 GT350 in a few weeks for an initial look before he invests in a real inspection. I'm more familiar with GT500's so figured I'd ask for some info here:
1) I assume they came with toploaders- what's the ID on the tag (RUG...?).
2) Did they have SPEC rears and 31 spline axles?
3) Will the heads be cast with ""1967" versus 1966 on them (assuming they still have the two dots above the 289 and the 19/20 number on the ends)
Thanks in advance for the education.

capecodmustang.com

1)  If the GT 350 is a 4 speed there should be the Ford VIN stampted on the bottom of it.
The cover should be an A servo with an automatic but I've seen C servo's a few times
Tag should say PEE K I'm thinking

2) I've never seen a 67 GT 350 with a spec...
However, it appears to be discussed more than once...

3)  Heads should be 19/20/21
They're easy to identify.
If you go under the valve cover you'll see 289 with 2 dots.
Dates could be everywhere from 6M all the way to 7D I'm guessing
If it's an early car the heads could be through the spring and summer of 1966.

Original engine?
Depending on the car it might not have a VIN stamped on its side.
Depends on the Shelby number.
Best to check the date of the engine and compare to the build date of the car.
This all starts with the Shelby number....

JD

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on January 29, 2024, 09:24:03 AM
1)  If the GT 350 is a 4 speed there should be the Ford VIN stampted on the bottom of it.
The cover should be an A servo with an automatic but I've seen C servo's a few times
Tag should say PEE K I'm thinking

2) I've never seen a 67 GT 350 with a spec...
However, it appears to be discussed more than once...

3)  Heads should be 19/20/21
They're easy to identify.
If you go under the valve cover you'll see 289 with 2 dots.
Dates could be everywhere from 6M all the way to 7D I'm guessing
If it's an early car the heads could be through the spring and summber of 1966.

Original engine?
Depending on the car it might not have a VIN stamped on its side.
Depends on the Shelby number.
Best to check the date of the engine and compare to the build date of the car.
This all starts with the Shelby number....

The top loader trans tag could also be HEH BX, with the Ford VIN, these were used in the beginning of the production run of '67's.

No SPEC and yes a 28 spline rear

Thermactor car?  The heads and again date castings previous to San Jose car build date, and yes could be '66 dates depending on San Jose date.

Might contact Dave M, to see if he has any info that may not be in the 2022 registry.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

cboss70

Great Info- thanks. It's interesting- I looked at the heh-bx mentioned on Dave Kee's chart and it says 65-66 but doesn't mention 1967 under that and more interestingly doesn't list any 67 hipo mustang trans tag ID- maybe they were all HEH-BX and he missed it in his chart.

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

67350#1242

QuoteGreat Info- thanks. It's interesting- I looked at the heh-bx mentioned on Dave Kee's chart and it says 65-66 but doesn't mention 1967 under that and more interestingly doesn't list any 67 hipo mustang trans tag ID- maybe they were all HEH-BX and he missed it in his chart.

I think for most of production the 4spd tag should be RUG-N  and maybe (not sure) RUG-N1 very late production.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

J_Speegle

Quote from: 67350#1242 on January 29, 2024, 01:51:21 PM
QuoteGreat Info- thanks. It's interesting- I looked at the heh-bx mentioned on Dave Kee's chart and it says 65-66 but doesn't mention 1967 under that and more interestingly doesn't list any 67 hipo mustang trans tag ID- maybe they were all HEH-BX and he missed it in his chart.

I think for most of production the 4spd tag should be RUG-N  and maybe (not sure) RUG-N1 very late production.

Have a group of them first week May 67 
With 106xx - 1078x serial numbers
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TLea

BX used at least into December