News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Illuminated Hertz GT350H Sign on B.A.T.

Started by FL SAAC, January 30, 2024, 01:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

I expect the sign is a recent creation.  The graphics can be easily placed on the milky white covers and the framing made.  Look at the attached images with another Shelby American Signs.  I have seen the first one half a dozen or so times.  At the time, the seller advertised as "used" and with some wear, trying to imply it might be period from back in the day.  The second sign with clock, maybe 3 times.  The seller has too many of these signs to be from the 60's.   He was careful on his wording.  I think this HERTZ sign is much newer than the seller is saying.  This other examples are not proof, but suggest it could be recently made.

Cory

Coralsnake

So just to be clear these other signs were sold by him as well?

I guess if he is associated with the sign where the company name is misspelled, I would also call shenanigans
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

6s1640

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 01, 2024, 04:38:07 PM
So just to be clear these other signs were sold by him as well?

I guess if he is associated with the sign where the company name is misspelled, I would also call shenanigans

I can't tell if it is the same guy, but I found my earlier thread on the same subject "SAI Lighted Signs."

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=14310.0

Cory

Coralsnake

I note in your post its also called "Shelby America" in the auction. That would seem to indicate a connection with the other auction.

Not necessarily connected to the BaT auction, but his time is short if he is making them.

The Shelby Police now have an open case file

6s1640

I'd also say the missing period between "G" and "T" is a red flag.  Here are four examples from back in the day, color folder, rate schedule, bag and postcard.  They all have the period between "G" and "T".  They are all the same sequence of characters and punctuation, periods and dashes.  This doesn't prove it's a recent  creation, but doesn't help making it 58+ years old.

Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on February 01, 2024, 07:26:27 PM
I'd also say the missing period between "G" and "T" is a red flag.  Here are four examples from back in the day, color folder, rate schedule, bag and postcard.  They all have the period between "G" and "T".  They are all the same sequence of characters and punctuation, periods and dashes.  This doesn't prove it's a recent  creation, but doesn't help making it 58+ years old.

Cory
Good point and good catch. I think that puts the nail in the coffin.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

The newer repo hertz signs are also missing the g.t.  like the BAT sign. I been collecting 50 60era signs,clocks, etc for 40 years and traveled all over north america collecting them and mine have old 2 prong plugs and i never seen a shelby hertz backlite sign before or know anybody who has one. It is an old kool sign but were the inserts made up or changed as the center magazine add pages sign design i have never seen before also the telesign chicago ill sticker has a zip code . I dont think its a repo sign but maybe an old original that has been modified. Back years ago a guy was buying old original cheaper clocks and changing the advertizing faceplate and converting them to move valuable FORD etc clocks but he had an original to copy from and over the years these rare clocks started showing up at swap meets etc. He had borrowed some paper signs from me back 30 some years ago to make him a copy because he couldnt find an original and started selling them so i never had anymore dealing with him. He was making good money selling his made up collectables and got more greedy and got into RARE  VERY valuable collectors posters and started selling some professionally made copys for big money. Well about that time ebay and the internet came along and people started talking about how these rare posters were found and being sold off. He got into big trouble and had to do time. The old sign market is crazy and signs are being made now to look old show up at auctions and bring more money than u can buy them for now new if u look around.

CharlesTurner

So, possibly what is on the BaT auction is a contemporary illuminated sign from the 60's, but the content/middle section is not?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

Would you really have that small print on something most people are going to see from a distance? Asking for a friend.

Special Ed

Why would the center  66 shelby insert have to be changed out to WHAT ELSE? When the bottom says 66 hertz shelby the sign wouldnt be interchangable or they would have to change the bottom also around ya think? Look at rear sign was wall mounted not countertop  so it would be hard to read from a distance on wall behind hertz rental counter.  The yellow union made decal has a ink stamped date ??  ??   APR   and the year ink stamp looks removed to the left of APR. HUMMMM.  The seller had it since 2000 so he should know who or where he got it from and back then signs werent bringing big money and he could have got it from a serious hertz shelby guy who modified the sign to his liking back years ago . U would think all the serious old shelby memorbilia guys  ( barnes radke  cowls atzbox the detroit area guys etc)would have one of these signs or know of any ya think?  Its still a kool looking sign for the shelby hertz guy who has to have everything hertz shelby related even if it ends up being a 1 of none haha.

Special Ed

Look at john atzbach shelby  mecum road art auction lot H247    original 60s hertz clock sign  and it has a trademark R circle under the Z in HERTZ.

FL SAAC

Quote from: FL SAAC on January 30, 2024, 01:47:01 PM
FYI not affiliated with this sign

Looks very nice, but also looks kinda new

No Reserve: Illuminated Hertz GT350H Sign for sale on BaT Auctions - ending February 6 (Lot #135,566) | Bring a Trailer
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/hertz-gt-350h-sign/

Heck all I wanted to do was point out this neat sign to any GTH collectors.

But now the plot thickens  !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

SHELB66

Here is a metal sign that I purchased about 15 years ago that was purportedly from an airport back in the day.  Also shown is a later light-up sign that I added to my collection maybe around 10-12 years ago.

Craig R.

66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Bob Gaines

Here is a laminated plastic sign that I bought 15-20 years ago I think.  Someone made it up so that you can back light it. I can remember the same guy selling complete hanging lighted signs. He wasn't trying to pass them off as genuine however.  Notice the artist missed the needed period on this one too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

In regards to mention of the zip code on the back, they went into use in 1963.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge