News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Hagerty says markets are on the down slope

Started by stephen_becker, January 30, 2024, 02:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bill

Quote from: stephen_becker on January 30, 2024, 02:47:11 PM
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/with-inflation-the-collector-market-has-retraced-itself-to-december-2019/

As with anything else, the market is subjective to the specific car, and not the market as a whole, at least when it comes to vintage Shelbys. Sure there are still outliers that make people think the whole market is on a downward trend, but some of that has to do with some of the larger pocketed buyers having already found what they want for their collections, taking them out of the equation. Of course, and I've said this for 35 or so years, all it takes is two people who want the same vehicle to cause the market to skyrocket. The same applies when one of those people is no longer in the market, thus causing a perceived free fall downwards. I see a lot of folks in the stock market and residential and commercial realty like that as well.......Now is not the time to panic and sell, sell, sell, now is the time, while we are still able, to enjoy what we have. If you want to sell, sell, but if you feel that you need to sell, afraid of missing out on the higher market that was here this time last year, then perhaps viewing the antique car in your garage as an investment, instead of a toy, was not the best idea. In other words, if you are in that last mindset, lets face it, you already missed the high of the post Covid market madness, so sit back, and just enjoy the car, even if it means going out to the garage once in a while, pulling the car off, and just staring at the beautiful lines of whatever is in front of you.

Just my two cents worth.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Bill on January 30, 2024, 04:47:05 PM
As with anything else, the market is subjective to the specific car, and not the market as a whole, at least when it comes to vintage Shelbys.

+1

10 mediocre cars coming up for auction and selling for a lower price (that they should sell for) is not a market correction/decline.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

stephen_becker

That's a good article as well - Reset is on for just about anything collectable at this point

Not  sweating it,I'm in it for the "long term"...Hell,I've had the thing since 82.... ;)

Wedgeman

6s1640

Does the "down slope" make it easier for new or younger enthusiast to get in?

It seams at the last two major auctions, the custom modified cars were selling very well.  The selling prices felt more than the bone stock cars. Did I miss read that?

Last, here is an example of down slope with a 1968 GT-E Cougar.  Both cars appears to be well restored and the same color cardinal red.  The one that sold in 2024 was an XR7 with leather interior and the other in 2011 was standard. They both sold exactly the same,  $181,500 with fees.  Correction, the 2024 sale GTE with fees was actually $165K.  The 2011 GTE sale was the $181,500. Who got the better buy?  Thirteen years difference.  The 2024 sale in 2011 dollars is $135,708  $123,370.  The 2024 GT-E Cougar was a better buy and with more options.  (Yes, only one example, but does illustrate the trend.)

Cory

P.S Thanks Brian Silvertonford for the correction.

pchmotoho

Wish it was down on G50 911s or Ducati super sports

68stangcjfb

Quote from: 6s1640 on January 30, 2024, 11:36:30 PM
Does the "down slope" make it easier for new or younger enthusiast to get in?

It seams at the last two major auctions, the custom modified cars were selling very well.  The selling prices felt more than the bone stock cars. Did I miss read that?

Last, here is an example of down slope with a 1968 GT-E Cougar.  Both cars appears to be well restored and the same color cardinal red.  The one that sold in 2024 was an XR7 with leather interior and the other in 2011 was standard.  They both sold exactly the same,  $181,500 with fees.  Who got the better buy?  Thirteen years difference.  The 2024 sale in 2011 dollars is $135,708.  The 2024 GT-E Cougar was a better buy and with more options.  (Yes, only one example, but does illustrate the trend.)

Cory

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1970-MERCURY-COUGAR-ELIMINATOR-428-SCJ-272290 $220,000 with fees!!! :o
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Coralsnake

I will believe it when all the dealers start lowering their prices!

😂
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Vernon Estes

Just to be clear........

I'm falling on the knife for you all and offering BIG money currently on great cars.  I'm calling it the "END OF TIMES BUY BACK BLOWOUT EVENT"!!

Hagerty is totally correct..... THE SKY IS FALLING.

Get out NOW.... I'll take the LOSS for you!

This offer even applies to original Cobras, 65 GT350s, GT40s etc etc...... the bigger the value the bigger the potential loss now that the world is coming to an end! Get rid of em while someone (me) wants to buy them!

Wish there was a little emoji I could insert here of a guy laughing himself out of his chair.   

Nonsense articles written about the general market which is made up mostly of mediocre/subpar cars. Mediocrity has been selling for too much for the last 10 years...everyone in the business knows it. And many dealers exclusively deal in mediocrity and are benefited by the wild swings.  Sell it for too much today to an enthusiast who doesnt know his head from a hole in the ground...buy it back a few years later for much less...rinse, repeat.

The great stuff hasn't seen much if any change from the last few years and I highly doubt it will outside of a sizable macro economic event. Even in that case, just as it always has been in the past, that event would be temporary.

In closing.... always best to throw in the mix that classic cars are not great investments. You should buy them simply because you love the cars. At BEST, they are a good place to "Park" cash....but they aren't "investments" contrary to the information which sources like Hagerty are constantly cramming down the hobby's throat. 

Kind regards,
Vern

Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

stephen_becker

I shared an article. I put no comment up about it personally. Someone else on this thread believes that I think the sky is falling. I never said that. I never said anything. I simply shared an article.

Vernon Estes

Quote from: stephen_becker on January 31, 2024, 09:04:48 AM
I shared an article. I put no comment up about it personally. Someone else on this thread believes that I think the sky is falling. I never said that. I never said anything. I simply shared an article.

Post corrected ;)
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.