News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

monte carlo bars

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, February 09, 2024, 11:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

which years and model Shelby had Monte Carlo bars?

deathsled

65 and 66 as far as I know.  Let the experts chime in.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on February 09, 2024, 11:12:33 AM
which years and model Shelby had Monte Carlo bars?
Quote from: deathsled on February 09, 2024, 11:14:29 AM
65 and 66 as far as I know.  Let the experts chime in.
That is correct for regular production cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Road Reptile

Hi all interested in these- any idea who made them? They were first used on the Falcons prepped to run in the Monte Carlo Rally if
we understand the history behind the name.......so were they made by an outside company like Dearborn Steel Tube ? I have yet to
ever see them listed by Ford like the "Export Package" was. Doubtfull Shelby made them in house. So does anyone know the history
behind them?
Curious R.R.

Bill Collins

The ghost drawing of the '67 Shelby on the earliest edition of the '67 factory spec sheet shows a Monte Carlo bar, suggesting that it was intended to be offered. This feature was removed from the drawings on subsequent editions.

Having owned '67's as low as serial #004, I have never encountered one with a factory installed bar.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

CSX4781

According to the 1965 Shelby American parts book, they were made by Traction Master. They list a kit as well as the basic braces (base number is 29432). See the attached photo.

Dave

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bill Collins on February 09, 2024, 02:19:42 PM
The ghost drawing of the '67 Shelby on the earliest edition of the '67 factory spec sheet shows a Monte Carlo bar, suggesting that it was intended to be offered. This feature was removed from the drawings on subsequent editions.

Having owned '67's as low as serial #004, I have never encountered one with a factory installed bar.
Your post illustrates why I thought important to say in reply #2 that it was correct that they were only used on 65/66  "regular production cars"  ;)  That of course excludes competition,protype ,engineering cars etc. of other years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: CSX4781 on February 09, 2024, 02:23:23 PM
According to the 1965 Shelby American parts book, they were made by Traction Master. They list a kit as well as the basic braces (base number is 29432). See the attached photo.
Brings up a whole new question. What is the difference between the S1MS and S1MR brace? Thicker tubing on the R? Shelby smoke and mirrors - selling street part as race part - kinda like adding military grade to a common flashlight today.
The brace was an easy and visible part to install. But by mid 66 the handwriting was on the wall that production had to speed up. Ford had sent production experts trying to get things moving. They eliminated relocating the control arms and over-ride traction bars. While the early 67 drawing showed the bar Ford was steering the Shelby into the luxury market and getting away from its stripped down race car roots. Charging a couple grand to improve performance and handling that you couldn't see had a limited market. Charging a couple grand on flash that the neighbors could see is where they were going. Even later they found that adding GT350, SVO, SVT and Cobra tags on the Mustang didn't boost sales. Marketing struck upon adding "Shelby GT500" to the 2005 Mustang (fully developed by SVT) and found that mystique boosted sales greatly.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 09, 2024, 02:57:25 PM
Quote from: CSX4781 on February 09, 2024, 02:23:23 PM
Brings up a whole new question. What is the difference between the S1MS and S1MR brace? Thicker tubing on the R? Shelby smoke and mirrors - selling street part as race part - kinda like adding military grade to a common flashlight today.
The brace was an easy and visible part to install. But by mid 66 the handwriting was on the wall that production had to speed up. Ford had sent production experts trying to get things moving. They eliminated relocating the control arms and over-ride traction bars. While the early 67 drawing showed the bar Ford was steering the Shelby into the luxury market and getting away from its stripped down race car roots. Charging a couple grand to improve performance and handling that you couldn't see had a limited market. Charging a couple grand on flash that the neighbors could see is where they were going. Even later they found that adding GT350, SVO, SVT and Cobra tags on the Mustang didn't boost sales. Marketing struck upon adding "Shelby GT500" to the 2005 Mustang (fully developed by SVT) and found that mystique boosted sales greatly.
I am not aware of a difference but I think it is logical to rule out something like heavier tubing which would likely cost more given the two numbers had the same price.

vtgt500

Agree with all mentioned.
That said, the Monte Carlo bar is perhaps the most useful upgrade for a "driver" caliber car.
The straight bar fits perfect with original dual point distributor and dual quad intake.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: vtgt500 on February 09, 2024, 05:19:00 PM
That said, the Monte Carlo bar is perhaps the most useful upgrade for a "driver" caliber car.
The straight bar fits perfect with original dual point distributor and dual quad intake.
+1 . I think the Monte Carlo bar is best utilized with the stronger one piece cowl/export brace however. The two together make a significant difference in the stiffness of the front end. While we are on the subject a pet peeve of mine is the after market Monte Carlo bar with the big hoop in it used to clear distributor and air cleaner. I see them used on cars all of the time . The hoop will allow flex where the straight bar will not . That hoop all but negates the purpose at that point . By negating the stiffness purpose with the hoop it becomes more cosmetic at that point. As cosmetic things go under the hood it looks embarrassing and silly to me . Just my opinion others may have a different one.

pbf777

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 09, 2024, 05:57:27 PM
The hoop will allow flex where the straight bar will not . That hoop all but negates the purpose at that point . By negating the stiffness purpose with the hoop it becomes more cosmetic at that point. As cosmetic things go under the hood it looks embarrassing and silly to me .

+1   ;)

Scott.

shelbydoug

Quote from: pbf777 on February 09, 2024, 07:02:01 PM
The hoop will allow flex where the straight bar will not . That hoop all but negates the purpose at that point . By negating the stiffness purpose with the hoop it becomes more cosmetic at that point. As cosmetic things go under the hood it looks embarrassing and silly to me .

+1   ;)

Scott.

+1,000. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

+1 . I think the Monte Carlo bar is best utilized with the stronger one piece cowl/export brace however. The two together make a significant difference in the stiffness of the front end. While we are on the subject a pet peeve of mine is the after market Monte Carlo bar with the big hoop in it used to clear distributor and air cleaner. I see them used on cars all of the time . The hoop will allow flex where the straight bar will not . That hoop all but negates the purpose at that point . By negating the stiffness purpose with the hoop it becomes more cosmetic at that point. As cosmetic things go under the hood it looks embarrassing and silly to me . Just my opinion others may have a different one.
Do you know by engineering how much flex? At what point the bar-G-force wise- the bar will start to flex? Yeah, I was guilty of adding one to my 68 that was not built to be an original car(replaced drive train) before I ever heard of the flex. A steel tubular bar even with a curve in it will offer some rigidity over nothing at all. Yeah, If I could go back I wouldn't install the bar now. But that was a different time and I don't consider the bars silly even now. To each their own. Oh yeah, I'd take that silly "Caution Fan" sticker off the car if I still owned it.  ;D It came on the fan shroud(at least I didn't buy it)
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

jk66gt350

My car has a ford dual quad intake with vintage holleys along with stock ignition and had the monte carlo bar with a hoop when I bought it as third owner 38 years ago.  The original monte carlo bar was in the trunk.  I tried to re-install the straight bar and it would not fit.