News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

monte carlo bars

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, February 09, 2024, 11:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Mine fits with no issues with the dual point distributor and dual fours.

The Cobra oval air cleaner fits over the bar.

I don't see the issue that requires a looped bar.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

jk66gt350

Can't recall what the specific clearance issue was with mine, but I assume it was the front carb.  It was a long time ago that I tried to install it.  I recall it was close but was not going to fit with the original holes, and I did not want to get into drilling new ones.  My Holleys are the List 3360 / 3361's.  Perhaps yours are different carbs and have different dimensions?     

greekz

Quote from: jk66gt350 on February 10, 2024, 05:13:24 PM
Can't recall what the specific clearance issue was with mine, but I assume it was the front carb.  It was a long time ago that I tried to install it.  I recall it was close but was not going to fit with the original holes, and I did not want to get into drilling new ones.  My Holleys are the List 3360 / 3361's.  Perhaps yours are different carbs and have different dimensions?     

If your car is a 1966, the straight bar may not fit because of the engine orientation in the compartment.  On a 1966. the bar slips behind the distributor and on a 1967/1968, in passes over the distributor top.  What brand of carbs are you using?
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

TA Coupe

I also ran 2x4s for years on my 70 Mustang. With no clearance issues.Tony does run his carbs backwards, so that may be a slight difference there.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

These are all Holley "1850" regardless of what you id them as.

If you mount them backwards the front carb is just 1/2" farther away from the distributor cap.

I've run them both ways, front or reverse and the difference is just a linkage simplification thing. Front is simpler with no possibility of the linkage jambing wide open.

I never had a '66 so I don't know what the clearance issue is.

I have seen clearance issues with the Cobra oval air cleaner on later cars.

These are non-stock set ups so there is fabrication involved in making adjustments but in my view is not complicated.

Rather then drill new hole in a '66, the mounting bracket on the bar can be changed to relocate the bar for clearance and use the existing holes. That's the way I would go in that situation if possible.

What did Shelby do on the 66 G[ II cars?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

s2ms

Somewhere out there I recall a photo of a 66 with dual quads where the monte carlo bar ran through the ail cleaner. Maybe Jeff Burgy's car?
Dave - 6S1757

shelbydoug

Quote from: s2ms on February 10, 2024, 08:53:06 PM
Somewhere out there I recall a photo of a 66 with dual quads where the monte carlo bar ran through the ail cleaner. Maybe Jeff Burgy's car?

Yes Burgy's but 3x2.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!