Author Topic: monte carlo bars  (Read 744 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: monte carlo bars
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2024, 04:34:03 PM »
Mine fits with no issues with the dual point distributor and dual fours.

The Cobra oval air cleaner fits over the bar.

I don't see the issue that requires a looped bar.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 04:37:00 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

jk66gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2024, 05:13:24 PM »
Can't recall what the specific clearance issue was with mine, but I assume it was the front carb.  It was a long time ago that I tried to install it.  I recall it was close but was not going to fit with the original holes, and I did not want to get into drilling new ones.  My Holleys are the List 3360 / 3361's.  Perhaps yours are different carbs and have different dimensions?     

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2024, 07:23:25 PM »
Can't recall what the specific clearance issue was with mine, but I assume it was the front carb.  It was a long time ago that I tried to install it.  I recall it was close but was not going to fit with the original holes, and I did not want to get into drilling new ones.  My Holleys are the List 3360 / 3361's.  Perhaps yours are different carbs and have different dimensions?     

If your car is a 1966, the straight bar may not fit because of the engine orientation in the compartment.  On a 1966. the bar slips behind the distributor and on a 1967/1968, in passes over the distributor top.  What brand of carbs are you using?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 07:27:19 PM by greekz »
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2024, 07:29:47 PM »
I also ran 2x4s for years on my 70 Mustang. With no clearance issues.Tony does run his carbs backwards, so that may be a slight difference there.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2024, 07:52:42 PM »
These are all Holley "1850" regardless of what you id them as.

If you mount them backwards the front carb is just 1/2" farther away from the distributor cap.

I've run them both ways, front or reverse and the difference is just a linkage simplification thing. Front is simpler with no possibility of the linkage jambing wide open.

I never had a '66 so I don't know what the clearance issue is.

I have seen clearance issues with the Cobra oval air cleaner on later cars.

These are non-stock set ups so there is fabrication involved in making adjustments but in my view is not complicated.

Rather then drill new hole in a '66, the mounting bracket on the bar can be changed to relocate the bar for clearance and use the existing holes. That's the way I would go in that situation if possible.

What did Shelby do on the 66 G[ II cars?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2024, 08:53:06 PM »
Somewhere out there I recall a photo of a 66 with dual quads where the monte carlo bar ran through the ail cleaner. Maybe Jeff Burgy's car?
Dave - 6S1757

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2024, 10:13:17 PM »
Somewhere out there I recall a photo of a 66 with dual quads where the monte carlo bar ran through the ail cleaner. Maybe Jeff Burgy's car?

Yes Burgy's but 3x2.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!