News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Last first gen GT350 up for auction

Started by Mikelj5S230, February 09, 2024, 08:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Nice car and allegedly the last 1966 GT350

But it has a few issues like rust everywhere.  Yes I know some experts would say that it all could be fixed (in my opinion it needs a complete dynacorn body plus accessories) but there is a point that you loose all of its charm, originality and it becomes a facsimile of what it was a 1966 GT350
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

If this Shelby could have been bought originally from the previous owner, it may have been a deal.

If I would have bought ( but more than likely I would not have ) I would have driven it as is and enjoyed it in it's current condition.

But at this moment we are beyond that point, the person who bought it now has it on B. A. T. spinning it off attempting to make a profit and that's
O. K. with me.

Everyone is looking at all the pictures ( 435 ) the seller provided and knows exactly what they are getting.

Best of luck to the seller !

I have all UNGOLD cars

CharlesTurner

Tough to look at.  Notwithstanding the challenging restoration... repro SFM tag, replacement tach/intake/carb to name a few items...

Looks like maybe it was stored outside under a carport with a cover on it.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

Quote from: CharlesTurner on February 09, 2024, 10:43:33 PM
Tough to look at.  Notwithstanding the challenging restoration... repro SFM tag, replacement tach/intake/carb to name a few items...

Looks like maybe it was stored outside under a carport with a cover on it.
agreed but still better shape than this car in the link it appears. Not a dynacorn candidate like someone above  said(who would ever dynacorn a Shelby?) like this car was. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-ford-mustang-223/
The unknown is after stripping are you left with a pitted car with some holes  or a "holely" car?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Mikelj5S230

Having had many cars restored, both body off for frame cars and rotisserie for unibodies, I think the cost to do such a thing on this car is not economically a good choice. But, if money is no object and you want the last of the series, go for it.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

Coralsnake

Tough to look at, but reading the comments is more painful.

Like "too bad Dennis Collins didnt find it, he would give it what it needs"

Ah, okay
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

68blk500c

I have seen pitted shocks, but I have never seen dissolved shocks, until now.

FL SAAC

Not bad $100K with TEN days left. # SFM6S2374

I have all UNGOLD cars

Mikelj5S230

People may be optimistic it is only surface rust.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

S7MS427

Looks to me like it was stored in a 100% humidity garage. The person who buys it needs to be very sure of what they are getting into and that they are willing to fund the entire project. If I had any say in it, I'd have it painted back to Sapphire Blue.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

CharlesTurner

Quote from: MikeljGT500HE on February 10, 2024, 05:21:31 PM
People may be optimistic it is only surface rust.

+1.  Usually when brown rust is showing through the paint, that usually means holes underneath, or at least rust that is on it's way to leaving holes.  This might be one for someone to poke on the bottom of the car with a screwdriver.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

silverton_ford

For later on down the road when we want to research this auction.  At some point BAT's servers are going to be full and these auctions will be deleted, it's inevitable.

6S2374

Photos

Auction description:
This 1966 Shelby Mustang GT350 was ordered on August 19, 1966, and left the factory on September 29, 1966, as the final first-series GT350 fastback built before production shifted to the revised 1967 model. Originally finished in blue and equipped with a rear seat and a radio, chassis 6S2374 was initially shipped to Minnesota dealer Herb Tousley Ford, who declined delivery and returned the car to the Ford Distribution Point in St. Paul. The car was later shipped to Chicago dealer Milo Brooke Inc., from whom it was purchased by its original owner on March 20, 1967. It was sold in 1978 to its second owner, who repainted it white before later placing it in storage, where it remained until being discovered and purchased by the seller in 2012. Equipped with a 289ci HiPo V8, the car also features a four-speed manual transmission, Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes, Koni shock absorbers, Magnum 500-style 14" wheels, black vinyl upholstery, a dash-mounted tachometer, and an AM radio. This GT350 is now offered as a non-running project with copies of its factory invoices and a clean Indiana title in the name of the seller's LLC.

The 1966 GT350 model entered production in August 1965 carrying over much of first-year model's design while gaining plexiglass rear quarter windows, smaller-diameter wheels, a fold-down rear seat, and a choice of exterior colors. By mid-1966 plans were finalized for a restyled 1967 model, which entered production in September 1966. This example is said to be the last 1966 GT350 produced for public sale and the last fastback built for the model year, followed only by four 1966 GT350 convertibles developed for private distribution.

Originally finished in Sapphire Blue, the car was repainted in its current shade of white with blue side stripes after the second owner's purchase. Corrosion spots are visible amid the finish on areas of the body and are shown up close in the photo gallery below, as are other imperfections and an area of exposed blue paint under the left edge of the rear bumper. According to the seller, since his purchase, the car has been stored with the intent of retaining the condition in which it was discovered. Features include a hood scoop, hood retaining pins, a fender-mounted antenna, a bullet-style driver's side mirror, and fiberglass brake-cooling scoops on the quarter panels.

Magnum 500-style 14" wheels exhibit areas of corrosion and are wrapped in Goodyear Polyglas D70-14 white-letter tires, while a matching spare wearing a US Royal whitewall tire is housed in the trunk. Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes were standard on GT350s, as were larger rear drum brakes than those used on contemporary standard Mustang models.

The cabin is trimmed in black knit vinyl over the front bucket seats and fold-down rear bench, with color-matched trim over the door panels. Features include black loop carpeting, Simpson latch-and-link front lap belts, lift-latch rear lap belts, and a push-button AM radio.

The three-spoke steering wheel exhibits cracks on either side of its woodgrain rim and sits ahead of a 140-mph speedometer flanked by gauges monitoring fuel level, oil pressure, amperage, and coolant temperature. The five-digit odometer shows 60k miles. A 9k-rpm tachometer sits atop the dash, and according to factory invoices was replaced in August 1967.

The 289ci HiPo V8 features a four-barrel carburetor, a high-rise intake manifold, ribbed aluminum Cobra valve covers, and a finned aluminum oil pan. Attempts have not been made to start the engine under current ownership. The Ford VIN shown on the engine block corresponds with the Shelby VIN according to GT350 Registrar Howard Pardee.

Power is sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual transmission. Suspension incorporates Koni shock absorbers all around as well as under-rider rear traction bars and a larger front sway bar than the standard Mustang. Corrosion is visible on areas of the underside of the floor pans as well as over various underside components.

The initial Shelby American invoice to Herb Tousley Ford is dated September 29, 1966, and lists the original shade of blue as well as the rear seats and radio for a total price of $3,712.45. The subsequent March 1967 invoice to Milo Brooke is shown in the gallery below, as is a June 1967 warranty credit notification for unspecified damages and additional invoices for warranty work.

The Shelby identification tag is believed to be a replacement. The partially redacted Ford VIN is shown stamped on the inner fender and engine block and is said to correspond with the Shelby VIN according to Howard Pardee.

Youtube video posted 10 years ago - https://youtu.be/38i9W1TjRPU?si=tDw1jBDYg_EX7xfq

Britton

After watching the Hagerty video from 10 years ago, I noticed the exterior paint didn't have near the amount of rust showing and the spare tire wasn't covered in mud at the time. Makes me wonder how much degradation has occurred under the current ownership.

Regardless, it's an interesting car and auction to watch.
1967 GT350 #2645