News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Last first gen GT350 up for auction

Started by Mikelj5S230, February 09, 2024, 08:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnston

The condition looks like that it was submerged in a bad storm for some time.   8)

shelbymann1970

Quote from: silverton_ford on February 11, 2024, 11:35:11 AM
For later on down the road when we want to research this auction.  At some point BAT's servers are going to be full and these auctions will be deleted, it's inevitable.

6S2374

Photos

Auction description:
This 1966 Shelby Mustang GT350 was ordered on August 19, 1966, and left the factory on September 29, 1966, as the final first-series GT350 fastback built before production shifted to the revised 1967 model. Originally finished in blue and equipped with a rear seat and a radio, chassis 6S2374 was initially shipped to Minnesota dealer Herb Tousley Ford, who declined delivery and returned the car to the Ford Distribution Point in St. Paul. The car was later shipped to Chicago dealer Milo Brooke Inc., from whom it was purchased by its original owner on March 20, 1967. It was sold in 1978 to its second owner, who repainted it white before later placing it in storage, where it remained until being discovered and purchased by the seller in 2012. Equipped with a 289ci HiPo V8, the car also features a four-speed manual transmission, Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes, Koni shock absorbers, Magnum 500-style 14" wheels, black vinyl upholstery, a dash-mounted tachometer, and an AM radio. This GT350 is now offered as a non-running project with copies of its factory invoices and a clean Indiana title in the name of the seller's LLC.

The 1966 GT350 model entered production in August 1965 carrying over much of first-year model's design while gaining plexiglass rear quarter windows, smaller-diameter wheels, a fold-down rear seat, and a choice of exterior colors. By mid-1966 plans were finalized for a restyled 1967 model, which entered production in September 1966. This example is said to be the last 1966 GT350 produced for public sale and the last fastback built for the model year, followed only by four 1966 GT350 convertibles developed for private distribution.

Originally finished in Sapphire Blue, the car was repainted in its current shade of white with blue side stripes after the second owner's purchase. Corrosion spots are visible amid the finish on areas of the body and are shown up close in the photo gallery below, as are other imperfections and an area of exposed blue paint under the left edge of the rear bumper. According to the seller, since his purchase, the car has been stored with the intent of retaining the condition in which it was discovered. Features include a hood scoop, hood retaining pins, a fender-mounted antenna, a bullet-style driver's side mirror, and fiberglass brake-cooling scoops on the quarter panels.

Magnum 500-style 14" wheels exhibit areas of corrosion and are wrapped in Goodyear Polyglas D70-14 white-letter tires, while a matching spare wearing a US Royal whitewall tire is housed in the trunk. Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes were standard on GT350s, as were larger rear drum brakes than those used on contemporary standard Mustang models.

The cabin is trimmed in black knit vinyl over the front bucket seats and fold-down rear bench, with color-matched trim over the door panels. Features include black loop carpeting, Simpson latch-and-link front lap belts, lift-latch rear lap belts, and a push-button AM radio.

The three-spoke steering wheel exhibits cracks on either side of its woodgrain rim and sits ahead of a 140-mph speedometer flanked by gauges monitoring fuel level, oil pressure, amperage, and coolant temperature. The five-digit odometer shows 60k miles. A 9k-rpm tachometer sits atop the dash, and according to factory invoices was replaced in August 1967.

The 289ci HiPo V8 features a four-barrel carburetor, a high-rise intake manifold, ribbed aluminum Cobra valve covers, and a finned aluminum oil pan. Attempts have not been made to start the engine under current ownership. The Ford VIN shown on the engine block corresponds with the Shelby VIN according to GT350 Registrar Howard Pardee.

Power is sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual transmission. Suspension incorporates Koni shock absorbers all around as well as under-rider rear traction bars and a larger front sway bar than the standard Mustang. Corrosion is visible on areas of the underside of the floor pans as well as over various underside components.

The initial Shelby American invoice to Herb Tousley Ford is dated September 29, 1966, and lists the original shade of blue as well as the rear seats and radio for a total price of $3,712.45. The subsequent March 1967 invoice to Milo Brooke is shown in the gallery below, as is a June 1967 warranty credit notification for unspecified damages and additional invoices for warranty work.

The Shelby identification tag is believed to be a replacement. The partially redacted Ford VIN is shown stamped on the inner fender and engine block and is said to correspond with the Shelby VIN according to Howard Pardee.

Youtube video posted 10 years ago - https://youtu.be/38i9W1TjRPU?si=tDw1jBDYg_EX7xfq
you don't save pics to files for future reference on cars? I got a lot but not enough so to speak usually of the "good" cars. I just saved some pics of a 69 coupe for the standard interior door paint lower black on an aqua car as it is original.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

cboss70

I just watched the video and remembered seeing it years earlier. I can't believe how bad it's become since then. The amount of new rust on the exterior is sad considering the fact the owner knew what he had and must have stored it outside and under a tarp to get so much under paint rust- actually looked cool 10yrs ago! A few more years left like that in a damp environment and there would be big holes everywhere so at least he's moving it onto someone who will hopefully store it better and do something with it.

DC-DD

The car was inside when my friends went there to buy Corvette parts as the owner was a big Corvette guy.
These pictures are from April 10  2021

TOBKOB

1969 GT350 owned since 1970

6s1640

So did Gino Burelli sell the car to the person in shown in image reply No. 18?  Makes you wonder what else is going on that the car has not even been made to run, let alone a restoration in the last ten years.

Cory

FL SAAC

Feb 13 at 9:30 AM

Ncrstopflight (The Seller) 

Good morning everyone.

If you are just seeing this listing please read all previous comments starting at the beginning. Many of these redundant comments have been addressed earlier. This car was found in the Chicagoland area. Not on the banks of the Mississippi River or the Louisiana Delta. Maybe some of you have heard the term "Rust Belt" ???? That's were this car sat in a garage for 30 years. In the Midwest, in the middle of the "Industrial Rust Belt". I didn't investigate if the attached garage was heated. I was to busy looking at the Shelby, Ferrari, Alfa and all the Memorabilia. It was end of the Summer so I wasn't thinking about that. I didn't even go in the mans house because I was told the garage was much cleaner and I could hardly breath the air in the garage. Nasty doesn't even begin to describe it.

I would like to direct everyone to photo #458. The pictures of the car on that Display Board is of it sitting in the owners garage. It's on an unsealed cement floor with an area rug underneath it. All three cars had rugs underneath them. If you know anything about proper storage you know that is a huge mistake. The rugs traps moisture. This is like putting a wet sponge under it and keeping it wet for 30 years. The moisture goes straight up into the car. That's why it looks like it does.

If you grew up in the Midwest in then 50's, 60's and 70's every car you past on the road was rusting out. 5 year old cars had holes in the lower fenders you could put your fist through. My father bought a brand new 1967 Mustang. It was rusting when he brought it home. Anyone remember "Zebart" ???? It's a miracle this metal on this car is in such good condition.

The Shelby is available for inspection every day during this auction. Come inspect it. You will see exactly what is there. Surface rust and zero rust through. The metal is solid and I see no panels that will need to be replaced. I can't be anymore transparent then I have been with this listing. I've restored a lot of cars in my life and this is mild compared to the condition of some of those projects. People would be shocked to see the " before" pictures of many multi million dollar collector cars that are restored to museum condition.

Several major Car Shows now have "Barn Found" categories. Winning bidders can take it around the circuit for a couple years exactly the way it is. This will be the most popular car there.

Finally as I have stated previously. The winning bidder is getting what I found. The way I found it. It's exactly what I pulled out of the owners garage down to the dirt and dust. Your stepping into my shoes.

Thanks

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bigfoot

I really don't think that being the last 66 produced means it is any more valuable or has any more water cooler talk value than any production 66.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Bigfoot on February 13, 2024, 03:58:18 PM
I really don't think that being the last 66 produced means it is any more valuable or has any more water cooler talk value than any production 66.

+1, it's splitting hairs with the 4 convertibles built last. 

It's much more interesting/desirable that it's a 4sp sapphire blue car
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Mikelj5S230

Yes, firsts and lasts can sometimes be valuable, but it depends a lot on the car.  One collector I know likes to buy the first and last of each Corvette series, and has paid a premium for them.  The car I sold at BJ was the last of a kind, and did pretty well.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

FL SAAC

four days left and up to $166k great results on " the last one "
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbymann1970

I'd be curious if 166K met the reserve. Going from 101K to 166K is "interesting". One guy said it was a time capsule. This car doesn't even come close to being a time capsule.
How can one prove that this 66 is the last one built. Were the latter part of 66 production were they built in strict order? Paperwork on the "last car"?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

CharlesTurner

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on February 16, 2024, 11:48:09 AM
I'd be curious if 166K met the reserve. Going from 101K to 166K is "interesting". One guy said it was a time capsule. This car doesn't even come close to being a time capsule.
How can one prove that this 66 is the last one built. Were the latter part of 66 production were they built in strict order? Paperwork on the "last car"?

I was trying to be nice in my response about the car being a time capsule, about spit up my morning tea when I read it, lol!  When I read their next comment about they hadn't seen another Shelby with original traction bars intact, I knew it was a lost cause to reply again.

Howard may know the completed dates for '66 cars, it's not in the registry.  That detail is in the '65 registry and there were 2 more days of production and 7 cars completed after the last '65 s/n, 5S562.  I doubt there was any effort to complete cars in order during the '66 run.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

Charles I wanted to post the following comment but didn't.  " has anyone watched Graveyard carz? Have you seen before and after pics of cars after they were dipped?"

with that said It's amazing how much metal is gone after getting rid of all the rust. I've seen cars that looked a lot better come out as Swiss cheese after dipping. I suspect this car will be also. The frame under the front floor on one side it appears the hole where the car was mounted to the jig appears to be rusted out on one side so it is no longer a round hole. I remember reading where  a well known restorer judge did a car and it was considered probably the best restored one of it's kind. The key was he started with an excellent car. The worse the car is the bigger challenge getting it to a top dollar SAAC div1 or II car when rust is involved.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Mikelj5S230

The current price of that car is amazing to me, as mentioned it is above 29 of the 40 '66 GT350s sold on BaT and is heading north.  Considering the condition and originality of the car, that boggles my mind.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.