News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Last first gen GT350 up for auction

Started by Mikelj5S230, February 09, 2024, 08:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 20, 2024, 01:35:20 PM
Agree with Bill - not real
Pete I think you just joined the club of flagged Bat users. LOL
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

The golden wisdom of the Coralsnake lost forever
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

GT350Lad

Very odd auction. I was wondering as to the fate since that YouTube video dropped years ago. Now sadly I know, sitting and going downhill. Real shame.

6S373
6S1276

cob4ra

I was flagged when I brought up the rust in the interior/ swing pedal arms, seat belt attachment and all the way up to the carb linkage, I was concerned about submerging. BAT. Never shows your flagger. A friend was interested in it. As for the money I've seen the Coke machine get bids at auctions . A real money bidder here???  What's my experience show . Suspicious. The GT350 I sold was collision and rust free, engine matching with original oxide on the flooring. BAT  would only take it at a 129k reserve, sold for 166 .how this one got a RNM  at this number is fishy to me. The salesman / seller could sell ice to eskimos .  This auction tarnished my confidence in BAT. Thoughts from any of my fellow experts?
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

FL SAAC

this adventure surely is not over, the saga of the "last one" will continue...
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

capecodmustang.com

Quote from: cob4ra on February 20, 2024, 03:39:18 PM
I was flagged when I brought up the rust in the interior/ swing pedal arms, seat belt attachment and all the way up to the carb linkage, I was concerned about submerging. BAT. Never shows your flagger. A friend was interested in it. As for the money I've seen the Coke machine get bids at auctions . A real money bidder here???  What's my experience show . Suspicious. The GT350 I sold was collision and rust free, engine matching with original oxide on the flooring. BAT  would only take it at a 129k reserve, sold for 166 .how this one got a RNM  at this number is fishy to me. The salesman / seller could sell ice to eskimos .  This auction tarnished my confidence in BAT. Thoughts from any of my fellow experts?

I couldn't agree with you more.
I'm totally suspect with this 66 auction.
It makes little sense IMO.

A couple years ago they encouraged me to use their auction however they decided on the reserve.
I could not agree with that.
Some 25 year old "expert" explaining to me what my cars are worth?

I did however purchase a 67 GT 350 from the site and everything went well.

CharlesTurner

The last stingray example was probably used as reference for the reserve.  Whoever on the BaT auction side that worked with the seller seems like they were easily persuaded.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Mikelj5S230

I have sold 2 cars and bought 2 cars on BaT over the last 2 years or so. This auction makes me very suspicious of what is going on at BaT.  It really looks bad for them, and they seem to be in denial about it all, lashing out at anyone who questions the process here.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

shelbyhertz66

Just my 2 cents,
I can't say if all the bidding was real but I do believe some of the money was scared away
by the negative comments.  First the tag controversy, the seller stated it was likely a repro.
I tend to agree with him,. Even though the stories trying to match the evidence could not be proven. 
Next the engine... is it rebuildable? or cracked or bored to the max already who knows. last but not least is
the varied estimates of restoration costs. Not a car for me. All the discussion was good at least the bidders
should have been pretty aware of what they were bidding on.  There are a few really good 66 shelby experts
beyond me on here and there should be more interesting reading.
Dave

SCJSTU

So appears this auction was used to try to set the 'floor' for the car......so now on to the next one......Amelia maybe?
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

shelbymann1970

Quote from: cob4ra on February 20, 2024, 03:39:18 PM
As a person who is a frequent BaT poster and watcher of many auctions other than Ford also I'm always looking at bidders, what they bought, etc. Mrs.Sofia is a real bidder with what appears to be deep pockets and bails out at 205K what a brand new Batter(Shaydog77Feb 2024) jumps to 236 then Dog battles it out with Slimmy who appears to be a real bidder up until 263 where the new guy-Dog-is the high bidder RNM. Now I look at slimmy's past auction wins and bids there is no reason not to think he is not a real buyer but people know people in the car circles. End of the day I'd like to see where BaT can explain to you a 129K reserve when this car got a 264K or higher reserve. Sad day I think for BaT but at the end of the day I always say bid what you are willing to pay. Don't get caught up in the hype or your manhood and assume there are fake bidders bidding you up whether it is a reserve or no reserve auction. 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

What I would like to say to so many bat posters on this 66 is "For all you people who think all bids are real and a final bid of 263K means someone was really wanting to buy it for that well I got a 66 clapped out GT350 I'll sell you for 264K...." Why do so many think all bids are real? That the market has been set?  A good friend of mine who lived in Az for a long time and brought collections to the Jan auctions and even cover cars for the catalogs once told me at times on the no reserve auctions 20 percent of the cars could end up going back to the owner. They rather pay the auction fees then let a car go too cheap(not the right bidders at the time).  Do you auction experts agree with that statement. BTW it was made over a decade ago to me. So the next question is for all those reading this how many of you would have paid over 150K for this car if you had the chance. How many? I would really like to know as I am not an expert on 66s but don't value the last car of a model year when the car is still being made in it's next model year form.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

stangman39

BaT, ever since it got bought by Hearst Auto Group (2020) has changed a lot from a reserve standpoint.  Like many others have said, the reserve on this one made no sense.
Prior to the Hearst acquisition they were much more open to the sellers requested reserve or at least open to a discussion with supporting info why you felt your reserve was in line.
It's much much more about the bottom line now.  They will flat out tell you they won't list your car unless you do No Reserve OR you need to go with their reserve...which is usually much lower than what you'd like.  They want the cars to sell so they make their 5%.  I was shocked when I was RNM on this Shelby!

FL SAAC

Quote from: stangman39 on February 21, 2024, 09:44:42 AM
BaT, ever since it got bought by Hearst Auto Group (2020) has changed a lot from a reserve standpoint.  Like many others have said, the reserve on this one made no sense.
Prior to the Hearst acquisition they were much more open to the sellers requested reserve or at least open to a discussion with supporting info why you felt your reserve was in line.
It's much much more about the bottom line now.  They will flat out tell you they won't list your car unless you do No Reserve OR you need to go with their reserve...which is usually much lower than what you'd like.  They want the cars to sell so they make their 5%.  I was shocked when I was RNM on this Shelby!

Well said, in the end a corporations owes a duty is to its stock holders

"It's all about those Benjamin's....cash money !"
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Mikelj5S230

Yes, I think the reserve that was set here is the truly suspicious part.  The last car I sold on BaT, we had a real battle to get a reserve high enough, and even then I was not pleased and when the high bid came close, we were able to make a deal, and that was on a true one of one, fully restored, prize winning rare car.  I was not in the market for a '66, as I wanted a '65, but I wouldn't have paid over $50K for this rust bucket, just too much money required to make it a good car, and not really rare IMO.

BTW, here is the last one I sold I was referring to:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-chevrolet-corvette-198/
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.