News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Shelby GT 500 top loader for speed information.

Started by Rickcholewinski, February 10, 2024, 11:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickcholewinski

I am trying to find a transmission for my car. I am not sure which trans is needed for my 1967 Shelby GT500 with Ford production date of February 13, 1967. I was told it should be a RUG S. tag but I only see that for 68 500. Does anybody know the correct case number, tail shaft housing number and correct tag? Also the correct Bell housing number.

S7MS427

Rickcholewinski, RUG-S or RUG-S1 are correct for the '67 GT500. My late production car came with an RUG-S1.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

shelbydoug

The bellhouse you want to look for is C6OA-6394-D. There are early versions and later versions that vary in the way that the fork pivot is mounted.

You want to get one near your Ford build date. That will basically determine which one you need.

It is unclear if these were made in batches or consistantly throughout the model year. In looking for one myself, it seemed suspicious that the closest date was either three months too early or three months too late.

It looks like this and is made to take the big 12" clutch although smaller ones will fit. The 12" Ford "pressure plate" is a monster and needs additional clearance internally which this bell provides.

They are unique to the BB 4 speed manual and as a result are not common. Probably less common then to be expected since the thing is cast iron and heavy. Back in the day if you raced the car at all you probably would have used a Lakewood blow-proof bell. We called them "scattershields" and were required by most race tracks as a safety measure. So chances are many got trashed back then?

As with almost everything special to a Ford BB, they are expensive when you can find them. 4 speed manual 428's and even 390 GT's do not have huge production numbers and although service replacements certainly existed, they are rare. Even more so when you are date searching.

Late '67 dates don't show up too often or at all in my case, needing a June '67. April, "C" codes seem to be the most common of the '67s that I came across which suggested to me they were made in batches, correctly or incorrectly.

Find more information that you need at Mustangtek.com
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

My MPC copy states the introduction date of "2-15-1968 the casting number was changed to C6OA-6394-D".

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on February 10, 2024, 07:39:17 PM
My MPC copy states the introduction date of "2-15-1968 the casting number was changed to C6OA-6394-D".
Isn't that the date for the change over from the pivot and clip style clutch fork to the later tongue style clutch fork? Same casting on the bellhousing but different clutch fork.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

Yes 15th of February 68 was the change date from wire style to clip.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

TLea

Back to RUG S, although functionally the same a 67 S will have a C5 main case, 68 will have C8 main case. Never seen 68 with S1, 67 have seen both S and S1

brandosaac

I have 2 toploaders, both rebuilt.
One close ratio, and the other was custom built with a wide ratio gear set for a little more highway drivability where you could run a 3.00 - 3.25 rear end gear ratio if desired.
will get you some pics

67 shifter assy also avail

brandosaac

pics

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!