News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Holley 715 Install

Started by GeotechDuck, February 10, 2024, 08:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Pojedinec

A vacuum gauge hooked to any full time port can give you an idea of how the carb is seeing the engine.

GeotechDuck

Thank you for all the tips.  Just kept working on it. 

I have it running much cleaner now. Idling pretty steady at 500 RPM in drive. Not perfect but close.  Will continue to fine tune tomorrow. 
1966 Shelby GT 350H / 2008 Shelby GT

deathsled

What about the float bowls?  Not sure if that has anything to do with your issue but the float bowls should be at a level where just a little bit of gas leaks out of the hole once the screw is removed and the car is nudged to rock side to side.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on February 17, 2024, 08:57:44 PM
What about the float bowls?  Not sure if that has anything to do with your issue but the float bowls should be at a level where just a little bit of gas leaks out of the hole once the screw is removed and the car is nudged to rock side to side.
No sight holes on the 3259 carb bowls unless you make them yourself.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 17, 2024, 09:00:54 PM

Yes, true, but aren't there screws that can be removed and the car body nudged to see if gasoline comes out of the holes to indicate the level is up or alternatively if it pours out then the level is too high?  That is what I have on on my Holley 650 double pumper.  Otherwise how are the float bowls checked for proper level?  Or maybe the 715 doesn't need it?  Curious.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: deathsled on February 17, 2024, 09:20:59 PM

Yes, true, but aren't there screws that can be removed and the car body nudged to see if gasoline comes out of the holes to indicate the level is up or alternatively if it pours out then the level is too high?  That is what I have on on my Holley 650 double pumper.  Otherwise how are the float bowls checked for proper level?  Or maybe the 715 doesn't need it?  Curious.
The bolt holes are above and below the optimum level so no those are not used for that purpose that is if you are referring to float bowl retaining screws. As previously stated the 3259 does not have the sight holes that your double pumper has. The float on the LeMans bowl carbs has to be adjusted dry and disconnected from the carb.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 17, 2024, 09:54:59 PM

The bolt holes are above and below the optimum level so no those are not used for that purpose that is if you are referring to float bowl retaining screws. As previously stated the 3259 does not have the sight holes that your double pumper has. The float on the LeMans bowl carbs has to be adjusted dry and disconnected from the carb.
I find that interesting but also much more labor intensive.  But that is how it is.  One has to adapt if one is to keep it original.  Mine is a day two car so...

texas swede

I had a similar problem on my 3259 and it turned out to be the adjustment of the flaps. It sucked gas through the groove
and I adjusted the flaps with the tiny screw that can only be seen with the carb turned upside down.
After that the carb has worked fine and reacting to the idle screws.
Texas Swede

67350#1242

QuoteIf you have a stock unchanged 3259-1 it can idle with mix screws in due to massive idle feed. But it shouldn't run well.
Drew, are you saying all 3259-1 with the primary metering block #4756 came with the larger IFR?

I have an unmodified 3259-1 (Nov 66) that will idle well but idle screws only 3/4 turns out. 

Will changing to smaller IFR make for a cleaner (leaner) idle?
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Drew Pojedinec

Dethsled, lemans bowl fuel level is set dry. If you want to check it while running, there are ways.

Drew Pojedinec

Quote from: 67350#1242 on February 18, 2024, 08:35:13 AM
QuoteIf you have a stock unchanged 3259-1 it can idle with mix screws in due to massive idle feed. But it shouldn't run well.
Drew, are you saying all 3259-1 with the primary metering block #4756 came with the larger IFR?

I have an unmodified 3259-1 (Nov 66) that will idle well but idle screws only 3/4 turns out. 

Will changing to smaller IFR make for a cleaner (leaner) idle?

Yeah so about this....
Idle itself isn't a huge deal. As you mentioned, to a large extent you can control with mixture screws.
The issue is the transition to the mains.
Basically you cannot control low throttle fuel. Typically running fat isn't a huge issue. But yes you can clean it up and tinker with it via idle restriction.

deathsled

Quote from: Drew Pojedinec on February 18, 2024, 10:27:10 AM

Dethsled, lemans bowl fuel level is set dry. If you want to check it while running, there are ways.
Thanks for the info, Drew.