News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Choke Cable Hole Size

Started by KR500, February 13, 2024, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KR500

Does anyone no what size hole is in the firewall for the choke cable? Dumb a$$ body guy welded it up.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

TLea

Hey Rod i've got a 65 over at the other building. I can measure in the next couple days if no one gets back to you before then

KR500

tomhawk

Rodney, You are welcome to come and measure mine. Also the hole was punched not drilled. My 65 is a smaller dia. than my 66. The hole in my 66 is just under 5/8 Tom

6s1640

Hi Rodney,

Do you have the grommet for the choke cable hole?  Brant at Virginia Classic Mustang sells, but it is also the same grommet used for the antenna penetration from the fender area to the interior, if you want to find an original.

Best of luck

Cory

KR500

Tom, Thanks. Cory, Yes I have a VCM grommet. Going by the grommet I would estimate the size between 13/16" and 7/8". Another member has PMed me with a 7/8" size found on their 65. I did a 13/16" test hole on a piece of scrap and the grommet fit but it was tight. I measured the antenna hole at the body side panel and it measures .765". It would be a real struggle at best to get this grommet to go in to that hole. Any other input still welcome as I will wait a day or two before I go for it. Thank you all.
Rodney

CharlesTurner

Just measured a '66 carryover I have, ~0.768"

The holes were made with a hole saw that has a drill bit in the center.  Have found the sawn out plugs in floors of cars.  I don't think Ford ever punched out holes like this made after the unibody was assembled.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

CharlesTurner

Quote from: KR500 on February 14, 2024, 10:16:02 AM
Tom, Thanks. Cory, Yes I have a VCM grommet. Going by the grommet I would estimate the size between 13/16" and 7/8". Another member has PMed me with a 7/8" size found on their 65. I did a 13/16" test hole on a piece of scrap and the grommet fit but it was tight. I measured the antenna hole at the body side panel and it measures .765". It would be a real struggle at best to get this grommet to go in to that hole. Any other input still welcome as I will wait a day or two before I go for it. Thank you all.
Rodney

I have a couple original grommets around, I seem to remember they were a little smaller than reproductions, but maybe it was due to rubber shrinking over time.  Will try to find them and measure.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

s2ms

Just checked an NOS grommet, slot diameter ~0.795"
Dave - 6S1757

KR500

Quote from: s2ms on February 14, 2024, 02:14:55 PM
Just checked an NOS grommet, slot diameter ~0.795"
Dave
That is pretty much the same size as the VCM repo measures.
Thank You